CFC's Top Recommended Historical Works

you also missed halsall's book

we should probably recommend plotinus books too

Nobody cares about Halsall, the guy's a hack! Probably has a stupid blog that nobody reads too where he rants about random stuff...

Espedair Street by Iain Banks. It is, like all of Banks' work, very good,

Where's the next volume of the First World War? If it hasn't been published it, will it be?

There are lots of books I could recommend, but I'll give a mention to S. C. Rowell, Lithuania Ascending: A Pagan Empire Within East-Central Europe, 1295-1345 (Cambridge, 1994), if for no other reason than the Lithuanian realm (and the pagan aristocratic clansmen who ran it) being one of the most interesting 'states' to exist and flourish in medieval Europe.

Pangur Bán;13096199 said:
There are lots of books I could recommend, but I'll give a mention to S. C. Rowell, Lithuania Ascending: A Pagan Empire Within East-Central Europe, 1295-1345 (Cambridge, 1994), if for no other reason than the Lithuanian realm (and the pagan aristocratic clansmen who ran it) being one of the most interesting 'states' to exist and flourish in medieval Europe.

What the- I was just about to recommend that book when I noticed this post!:lol: I had no idea anyone else had actually read it! Crazy coincidence.

But yeah, there is a serious lack of information on the pre-Christian Grand Duchy, and this is one of the few books on it in English.

I would recommend for the list:

Alexander to Actium - Peter Green
When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler - David Glantz
A History of Russia - Nicholas Riasanovsky
The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1776 - Robert Middlekauff
The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy - Adam Tooze

People who prefer longer, more in-depth versions may prefer the double-package of Stumbling Colossus and Colossus Reborn over When Titans Clashed, but the latter provides a good overview of the topic in reasonable detail.

Another "dilemma" of sorts: I've read Evan Mawdsley's Russian Civil War and Orlando Figes' A People's Tragedy: 1891-1924. Mawdsley's work is more focused on the war itself, and while it has the advantage of brevity Figes' work is more complete. There is more material on how the monarchy ended and the lead-up to the world war, Russian peasant society and how radical thought entered it, and it covers the Kerensky period with more detail than Mawdsley. Furthermore, I think Figes' does a more complete analysis of the advantages the Bolsheviks had that lead to their victory. Anyone else familiar with these works and want to chip in?

I've not read A People's Tragedy, as I was initially repelled by its loaded title, but I've since come to understand that it's a rather well-admired book. I've still not read it, though, but I have read Mawdsley's book (I actually met him the other day, albeit in passing. He was going down the staircase as I was going up it) and I loved it. I'm citing it in brief part for my dissertation, actually.

However, I will recommend A History of Russia by Nicholas Riasanovsky, as I indicated above. A good, long survey of Russian history from the Kievan Rus' up to the collapse of the Soviet Union.

William Doyle's Oxford History of the French Revolution

I think Carlyle's The French Revolution is more enjoyable, but Michelet's History of the French Revolution is better.

Does anyone know how up to date the new editions of A History of Russia are? I have a really old copy of the second edition from 1975 which I enjoyed, and I'm musing over getting the latest edition to supplement it.

Mine, which I think is edition 6 or 7 (blue jacket), I believe comes up to the beginning of Gorbachev. He ends by questioning whether Soviet society can even be described as totalitarian or dictatorial any more*. It's a strange sensation one gets by reading it, like a book about The Old Order which ends on a hopeful note in 1913 or something.

*This is actually a recurring theme in Soviet Studies. I have books from the late 30s, which were obviously primarily composed during the 1936-37 period, which declare the USSR to be the Second Great Democracy or some such thing (because of the 1936 Constitution and elections), supposedly joining the ranks of the United States. And again with Khrushchev, there are questions about whether collective rule should be called a dictatorship, and with hopeful notes about his reforms which at the time seemed to be undoing nomenklatura and establishing a viable legal framework and civil society. It is only retrospective histories which impose a uniform character on the subject and ignore nuance.

Can I skip the less interesting chapters of Alexander to Actium without missing anything important? For instance, the stuff about art?

Art is more interesting than you perhaps give it credit for: the art that a society produces reflects the way that it thinks, and in many cases helps to construct its view of the world. To give a (relatively) modern example, if you want to understand the 1960s, you could do worse than listening to a collection of its music.

Can I skip the less interesting chapters of Alexander to Actium without missing anything important? For instance, the stuff about art?

I wouldn't skip the stuff about art - to me it's one of the most interesting parts of society. But if it doesn't interest you, don't read it. Nobody's administering a test about the material after the reading. Especially as you own the book and can simply come back to the material if you ever become more interested in the subject.

I wouldn't skip the stuff about art - to me it's one of the most interesting parts of society. But if it doesn't interest you, don't read it. Nobody's administering a test about the material after the reading.

No, I'm just asking if it involves the main topic of the book to an extent that I would find it useful. Flying Pig put it correctly, but if it's just some ramblings on sculptures or whatever then I'm not interested.

Especially as you own the book and can simply come back to the material if you ever become more interested in the subject.

I do not own the book. I did an ILL at my local library and it doesn't allow for renewal, so I have two weeks to finish and review it.

No, I'm just asking if it involves the main topic of the book to an extent that I would find it useful. Flying Pig put it correctly, but if it's just some ramblings on sculptures or whatever then I'm not interested.

Well, even 'ramblings about sculptures' means looking at how people expressed themselves and the culture which surrounded people. That probably had more bearing on life for a lot more people than battles fought hundreds of miles away or the succession of new kings who were just like the old ones.

What the- I was just about to recommend that book when I noticed this post!:lol: I had no idea anyone else had actually read it! Crazy coincidence.

But yeah, there is a serious lack of information on the pre-Christian Grand Duchy, and this is one of the few books on it in English.

Yep. If you haven't done much history, then chances are you'll be looking to the Romans, Vikings and that odd little disagreement between Hitler and Stalin. If you've done a lot of history then this book will be more interesting. State-sponsored warrior religious cult with a grand temple at Vilnius? Sacrifices of fully-armed German knights to the Baltic gods? Pagan kings with German Franciscans and Russian monks issuing charters in their name in German, Latin and Russian, while trying to get the Byzantine Empire to give them a metropolitan? Rulers converting back and forth between paganism, Orthodoxy and Catholicism depending on political opportunity and eventually ruling the biggest territory in Europe west of the Horde? That's pretty interesting if you think medieval Europe is about feudalism, courtly love and slavish religious conformity.

I'll go ahead and recommend Ordinary Men. I'm sure a few others here will agree it's worthwhile reading.

The art sections don't have much in the way of political information, if that's what you're asking. You won't "miss part of the story" or anything. But I also echo the sentiments of others about the art sections.

I'll go ahead and recommend Ordinary Men. I'm sure a few others here will agree it's worthwhile reading.
Yeah, it's only one of the most important books of history written in the last fifty years.

EDIT: You know, I'm okay with this being my 31,000th post. Browning's awesome. If you haven't read his book before, make sure you get the version with the new epilogue, the "reply to Daniel Goldhagen".

Where's the next volume of the First World War? If it hasn't been published it, will it be?

Come on, what did I necro this thread for?

Come on, what did I necro this thread for?
Last time I checked in, Strachan had temporarily shelved the second volume due to a) the ridiculous amount of research that has been published on the subject, which is still mounting and b) the ongoing demands of his teaching work. Since then, he's also been named to the committee that the government formed to try to work out how to commemorate the centennial of the war, so that too is undoubtedly a drain on his time.

I think that he would have to have a leave of absence, at this point, to make much progress on it.

My source for all this is a colleague of Strachan's with whom I've corresponded via email for unrelated reasons, but I haven't talked to him since like a year ago so :dunno:

Jesus. Only Dachs could possibly know the authors we discuss on a personal basis.

:dubious:

Top Bottom