Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, why do I have this teeny-tiny hope of mine that my teeny-tiny nation would ever appear in the utmost magnificent world of his excellency called 'Civ'? That's a fool's errand, obviously... At least precious Poland were given such recognition! Congrats Poland! :) „Polak, Węgier, dwa bratanki, i do szabli, i do szklanki.”

Hungary? Well, Austria is in the game. Doesn't that count? I mean the Austria-Hungarian Empire was a major power.

With the new trade system, the Phoenicians might be a good bet for a civ in the expansion.

Pre-Carthage though, but they would be an interesting addition.

I'd like to see Israel (your going to need GnK to play a Brave new World anyway, right?), two African civs, Zulu/Kongo/Nubia, and at least one Native American civ, Sioux would be my choice here. The Custer story seems to fit the time period between the American Civil War and The Scramble for Africa (1876-1914). I think a 'Plains Indians' scenario would be interesting later on. In fact, I might even work on that to go along with my new enlarged WWI scenario. If not the Zulu Wars or the Boer War would make other interesting options for scenarios. If the Hittities are added I will redo my 'Troy' scenario, which got lost on an old hard drive I had. :(

I am going to guess that there will be a acheivement for winning the Space Victory as Poland... ;)

Meanwhile I am hopeful for the return of Mali.

It's definitely Assyria and not the Hittites. Siege Towers did not exist during Hittite times.

Renaissance Italy is very different from Rome and Italy as a cultural entity is older then some civs in game.
I'd say it's more similar to Germany, old culture but only unified as a nation in the 19th century.

Excellent analogy!

Meanwhile, I wonder if Vietnam could make it in despite it all. Could work for Ideology....

If Mali returns I can guess the UU are Skirmishers, a UB would be a speical university in reference to the University of Sankoré and the UA will be a trade bonus to reflect Musa I of Mali's status as the richest figure in history.

Also it gained notable fame among Paradox games, especilly thanks to Hearts of Iron one can play World War Two as Poland invading Germany and the USSR... with enough skill of course.

I would like to see Canada, but I really doubt it.

I personally feel this expansion would be a great way to open the floor to more modern civilizations or civilizations that have not been featured in the series before. It would really fit well with the theme. I can only hope they will do this. Maybe say... 3-4 of the civs can be fan favorites, and the rest will be entirely new civs.

Why not sicily. Pamploma as capital. Muslim archers as uu. King Rodger as leader. They could add volcanoes and make a ua giving extra production from working them

So we can pretty much pencil in a list at this point as:

1. Poland
2. Assyria
3. Zulu
4. Portugal

With Indonesia in some form or another very likely.

Very good question. Essentially starting the game with a free policy would be a really big boost. If you took tradition, you just had 4 culture per turn from turn 1.

The other question is - do these free policies increase the amount you need for the next policy? IIRC, the policy from The Oracle doesn't do that,
Under the current Cultural rules, the Polish UA is seriously overpowered. I think getting a single Social Policy for free would be good!

However, it looks like the SP and cultural rules are going to be significantly changed in the new expansion, so SP's might be significantly weaker.

Still, a given SP is often roughly equivalent to a religious belief or a UA, so it seems odd if Poland gets 5 or 6 benefits over the course of the game, compared to the single one that Byzantium gets (after jumping through complicated religion hoops) or UA's like: Arabia, Aztecs, Celts, Egypt, France, Greece, India, Netherlands, Rome, etc. which are often worse or equivalent to just 1 or 2 SP's.

I think it's safe to say Portugal (trade) and the Zulu (Africa) are involved, and probably Assyria from the looks of it (awesome!), but beyond that, and Poland obviously, who really knows? The Africa scenario makes Congo a possibility, and possibly even Belgium (though I wouldn't count on that one). Probably a native American civ as well, I'd bet on the Sioux (well-known and in past games).

Since we can't really say which ones will be included, the best we can do is rule certain ones out. As a rule I wouldn't expect to see anything that's already covered to a significant degree by another civ. So don't expect Hungary, Finland, Norway, the Maori, Mali, any pre-modern (east)-Indian state... and especially Italy, whose CAPITAL is the capital of another civ, which is obviously unworkable! Sumer and the Hittites are probably out if Assyria is included (Assyria and Babylon cover ancient Mesopotamia pretty well).

Carthage largely covers the Phoenecians, but not geographically - Tyre and Carthage are on different ends of the sea. The Iroquois kind of cover Canada, but only the south-eastern part of it (which is, if you've looked at a map, a rather small portion of a very large country); I wouldn't rule Canada out for that reason, but it's obviously unlikely, I only mention it because [a] the CN Tower wonder in G&K a lot of the obvious major nations have already been used/will be used in this expansion, so what do they lose by throwing a bone to Canadian fans? Finally, [c] the modern-era focus of this expansion indicates it's not outside the realm of possibility that modern nations will be included. (So maybe Brazil? They're on fire these days, and they would fill a notably-empty spot on Earth-maps. Same with Indonesia.)

Also I would rule out any other Eastern European civs (because Poland's got that area covered). If Portugal makes it in too, Europe on Earth maps will be a very crowded place as it is...

So we can pretty much pencil in a list at this point as:

1. Poland
2. Assyria
3. Zulu
4. Portugal

With Indonesia in some form or another very likely.

I'm not to sure about Indonesia. It seems like a logical choice to us, but that doesn't mean the developers think like us.
Everything other then the four you named aren't certain, Firaxis can always chose some obscure civ nobody expected( like Sweden or the Huns in G&K) instead of something everybody expects.

Where is that always reliable Wikipedia article listing all the nine civs already? :lol:

Poland and Portugal probably are not going to be the only European civs, so I wouldn't be surprised with Belgium, specially due the scramble for Africa scenario...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom