Indonesia discussion

Congrats to the Indonesia supporters - Gajah Mada looks like one of those big dudes you don't mess with. :lol:

Gajah Mada speak something like Old Javanese. While I do know Modern Javanese this is still difficult to me to comprehends. This is like, imagine a bloke from Australia trying to listen to someone speaking Anglo-Saxon.

Some snippet of dialogue that Gajah Mada spoken in the video:

the only words I get is : " ... maha wirya Gajah Mada ring Nuswantara .." : " (I am?) the great (warrior?) Gajah Mada of the Nusantara"

Also, in Javanese, "gajah" means elephant, either applied to him by his peers because of his physique, or it was a theophoric name referring to Ganesha the elephant-headed god in Hinduism.

So I am extra-happy that Firaxis made him into big, fat as elephant, Kris-wielding guy.

So do I understand the UA right?

So 2 cities other than the Capital gets two free lux. What's interesting is "first two cities settled on continents". Does that mean each settled continent have separate counter for this extra lux cities?

I find Indonesia UI very intresting, it does sound underwhelming at first, but you are getting free luxuries just for settling + whatever extra luxs you can work, couple that with the right pantheon and exploration tree and you've got a very solid naval power.

OFF TOPIC- Can anyone give some article, maybe on wikipedia, about Indonesians and pointy ears? I want to know more about that, why and how, out of sheer curiosity (also it's rained so much where I live, that we're in a state of calamity, and public organs have recommended we should stay at home today).

I find Indonesia UI very intresting, it does sound underwhelming at first, but you are getting free luxuries just for settling + whatever extra luxs you can work, couple that with the right pantheon and exploration tree and you've got a very solid naval power.

Yes, I see a REX->tall empire strat working well for them.

OFF TOPIC- Can anyone give some article, maybe on wikipedia, about Indonesians and pointy ears? I want to know more about that, why and how, out of sheer curiosity (also it's rained so much where I live, that we're in a state of calamity, and public organs have recommended we should stay at home today).

I believe it is some Indian-influenced gold ornament. It is still used in traditional Javanese opera (wayang wong). You can see some image in wiki, i believe.

That would be awesome. Indonesia in and no additional Native American civ :goodjob:

Why would that be awesome? Just because you don't like Native American civs?

For me, the civ is too dispersed. They encourage:
- Overseas colonization and thus naval forces.
- Trade from having unique resources.
- Religion due to bonus faith.
- Early war or at least barb hunting as you need to build an army of Kris Swordsmen and get their bonus promotion before upgrading.

I thought Netherlands and Byzantium lacked synergy, but Indonesia beats them both. Still, they could be interesting to play if you want something weird.

I don't know about you guys but, I'm thinking of Kris swordmen.

*Watches Kris Swordmen beat up a barbarian brute and gain march promo for winning the battle.*

Awww yeaahhh!

And about the UB Candi: To everyone, it is not "candy" but more like "chandi" with the distinct "Ch"

Edit: Got rid of instruction for vowels. Westerners get a pass on that because it's more precise than I know how to explain in words. Just make sure you have the 'H' in Candi. It's not like Espana where in the West it becomes Spain. Candi everywhere in the world has the H sound

Can you give us the IPA symbol for it? I want to know how it sounds exactly.

UA:
- "First two cities built on continents, other than their capital, get a bonus in the form of two unique luxury resources, and those cities can never be razed" (from Rev3 preview)

UU: Kris Swordsman
- Gets a "completely random" promotion after its first round of combat. Replaces Swordsman. (from dualshockers preview)

UB: Candi
- Gives an additional faith bonus. Replaces Garden. (from dualshockers preview)
They could show us a loading screen. :<

If UB requires Theology, it will be beyond OP. That faith bonus so early. Well, it might at least not requires lake/river to balance it out.
Swordsman replacement is great as well, same tech-line with UB and it's Swordsman replacement all in all. Curious if it requires iron.
On the peak, there are unique resources. Does continent means landmass (1+ hex island)? Bonus kicks in so early and I can't believe it: it fits with Candi/Swordsman tech path!

I love them, so many options and important decisions, almost masochist gamestyle. It will be also lovely to conquer those alone-just-settled city on my continent while playing against them.

Gajah Mada speak something like Old Javanese. While I do know Modern Javanese this is still difficult to me to comprehends. This is like, imagine a bloke from Australia trying to listen to someone speaking Anglo-Saxon.

Some snippet of dialogue that Gajah Mada spoken in the video:

the only words I get is : " ... maha wirya Gajah Mada ring Nuswantara .." : " (I am?) the great (warrior?) Gajah Mada of the Nusantara"

This worries me so... :sad: Please don't let Gajah Mada be another Attila - his language was already butchered, we don't need a second one!
Hopefully you are right and they managed to get Old Javanese...

On a happier note, HURRAY! :) This civilization looks awesome, I care not for the lack of synergy! :lol: Does the UA still aply if you conquer cities from other continents? :p That would help synergize things a bit: get your Swordsmen to fight some random barbarians, get uber promotions, go raid another island! :lol:
Nonetheless, I quite like that they are in! :D

Does the random promotion just go between the rough terrain and open terrain starter promotions or could they get march or blitz?

Does the random promotion just go between the rough terrain and open terrain starter promotions or could they get march or blitz?

Looks like they could. It would be boring otherwise. And Indonesia would be more like a trash.

Top Bottom