How to play as Sweden?

CS screen > gift > gift a unit.
Wait two or three turns. It's done. No need to move the unit into CS territory.

u sure that it does work with gp?

It works with military units that way but not with workers so i d assume it works also not with gp.

Yes, GP are gifted like units with Sweden (and only Sweden). Seems OP. Would be interesting if GM could be gifted this way for other civs.

It works with military units that way but not with workers so i d assume it works also not with gp.

Pretty sure, but cause it's you, I have a doubt.
Surely it doesn't work for workers as I realize I can gift them when there are in CSterritory. But, in my last game (archipelago), I don't even remember moving my GP to gift them. I gift them like my units.

You gift a GP for 5 xp. When it arrives to CS, UA triggers.

I can confirm it works with GP for Sweden only.

It does bring up an interesting question, though - can you gift workers to City-States as Sweden? As in, does the code allow the gifting of all civilian units?

In regards GPs and City-States: The main thing to remember is that, when confronted with an option to gift a Great Person to a City-State, you need to take the time to carefully think about whether ~30 turns of CS alliances is equal in worth to a Great Work/Culture Boost/Religion/Gold Boost or even, on occasion, a Production/Science boost (yes, sometimes it's worth it to give GEs and GSs away). Sweden needs lots of thinking behind it, but if played properly can be utterly unstoppable once you get it going.

For your dealings with major Civs, here's a good general strategy:

1: DoF all civs except the one or two that everyone else hates. Denounce those Civs.
2: Maintain this diplomatic "course" until your UUs come online
3: Attack the hated Civs with one or more of your friends
4: Enjoy the positive diplomatic boosts.
5: ???
6: Profit!

You get 90 influence for gifting a Great Person, which is at least 60 turns of alliance, provided you have enough influence already. And with a bit of studying of the various city state quests, you can turn allying one city state into additional influence with other city states. Are there city states looking for Jewelry? Just gift a GP to a Mercantile city state that has Jewelry and you get 90 influence with that city state and 40 influence with the others.

I m still not convinced at all that one should change gamestyle just to be able to gift few more gp, maybe apart later in game few halfway used prophets or an unneeded general.
There are so many other ways to aly CS.

There is a reason why no1 uses great merchants.

Really why waste 2 sp for a general when u could just build 2 units and do barb camp quests?

I m still not convinced at all that one should change gamestyle just to be able to gift few more gp, maybe apart later in game few halfway used prophets or an unneeded general.
There are so many other ways to aly CS.

There is a reason why no1 uses great merchants.

Really why waste 2 sp for a general when u could just build 2 units and do barb camp quests?

Short Answer: Because the game is easy and needs more flair. Playing to a Civ's UA is more appealing than receiving a UA bonus just by playing the game(Babs, Poland etc)

Long Answer: If you are playing a tundra start your capital is going to stagnate around 10 population maybe 12 if you go tradition. So in that situation why not roll honor and do a 2city NC and try and take some cities? You can gift your first GG around turn 25 to a culture CS and burn through honor in time to make gold per kill about the time you start taking cities with composite bows. You'll generate a new GG sometime around then and you can keep him and keep the warmongering going or settle into a semi-wide empire than can quickly upgrade late game units through combat.

As a side note you can gift GP anywhere to the CS they don't have to be in the territory it takes 2-3 turns to get the boost though.

You get 90 influence for gifting a Great Person...

Considering that rescuing a worker gets you 45 influence, it seems that 90 for a GP is very stingy. But, like you describe, it ends up working out pretty well. So long as you war monger for much of the game and keep generating GG.

Short Answer: Because the game is easy and needs more flair. Playing to a Civ's UA is more appealing than receiving a UA bonus just by playing the game(Babs, Poland etc)

Long Answer: If you are playing a tundra start your capital is going to stagnate around 10 population maybe 12 if you go tradition. So in that situation why not roll honor and do a 2city NC and try and take some cities? You can gift your first GG around turn 25 to a culture CS and burn through honor in time to make gold per kill about the time you start taking cities with composite bows. You'll generate a new GG sometime around then and you can keep him and keep the warmongering going or settle into a semi-wide empire than can quickly upgrade late game units through combat.

As a side note you can gift GP anywhere to the CS they don't have to be in the territory it takes 2-3 turns to get the boost though.

thats a nonsense argument to me.
Just because I can do something it doesnt mean I should do it, neither in a game nor in life.

And I dont see at all why I d want gift a general when warmongering, at least on higher difficulties i d largly prefer its fighting boost to some crappy unneeded military social policies.

Just because I can do something it doesnt mean I should do it, neither in a game nor in life.

And all along, I thought that there differences between games and real life.

I strongly agree with your sentiment in real life. Even if you are good at something, that doesn't mean you have to do it.

But I disagree when it comes to games. I play them to have fun. And that doesn't necessarily mean always using the optimal strategy to win in the fewest turns. It may mean trying something different just because you can -- like seeing what happens if you change your play style to conform to the unique abilities of a civ simply because that's what makes them unique.

It may mean trying something different just because you can -- like seeing what happens if you change your play style to conform to the unique abilities of a civ simply because that's what makes them unique.

been there, tried, been anoyed to do something useless.

Now why would I advice others in a forum to do something anoying and useless?
Espacially in the strategy section of the forum.

Is the général boost so important ? Is it because in warmonging you fast heal over promote your units ?
I agree with krc, sometimes useless things are funnier. Maybe, I feel this because I'm quite old. ;)

But I disagree when it comes to games. I play them to have fun. And that doesn't necessarily mean always using the optimal strategy to win in the fewest turns. It may mean trying something different just because you can -- like seeing what happens if you change your play style to conform to the unique abilities of a civ simply because that's what makes them unique.

I agree. While the Deity players who consistently get "clinical" wins are certainly great to learn strategy from and occasionally (as when they get a victory almost ridiculously early) rather inspiring, many of them need to accept the fact that some of us like to play the game in a more relaxed manner - and that usually means playing a Civ to use its UA, even if that violates the imagined "Correct Way To Do Things".

What people need to realize is that some players want advice on how to win games in a quick amount of time and some players want advice on how to have fun and play a relaxed game while still winning in the end. For the former type, tommy's "Play every civ like every other" advice is fine, accurate, and most likely perfect; for the latter type, suggestions like "Get a GG from the Honor policy and gift it to a cultural city-state so you can finish the Honor tree faster" are the type of advice they're looking for.

thats a nonsense argument to me.

And I dont see at all why I d want gift a general when warmongering, at least on higher difficulties i d largly prefer its fighting boost to some crappy unneeded military social policies.

It seems like the cultural city state alliance could fill out the tradition tree. Pretty nice for only filling out 2 social policies in honor which gives culture from barb kills anyway.

Might seem nice, but it actually slows down your progress through Tradition.

Since you will be taking 2 policies in Honor before finishing Tradition, the effective cost of the Honor opener and Warrior Code is the cost of your 7th and 8th policies (your last 2 policies in Tradition), which is (with 2 cities) 390 and 525 culture, respectively, or a total of 915 culture. Gifting a Great General to a cultural CS will earn you 30 turns of 6 culture per turn and 30 more turns of 3 culture per turn, or a total of 270 culture. That means you would need to earn 645 culture from the Honor opener to break even. Each brute killed is 8 culture and each barb archer is 7 culture. Even with raging barbs, you aren't going to kill 43 brutes and archers in the course of 60 or so turns.

Open and finish Tradition, and don't bother with the diversion to Honor, even when playing as Sweden.

Of course Sweden should fight with UUs to get more admirals and generals. You know its entirely possible to win the game peacefully. But as Sweden, is that the best idea when you can enjoy sweet CS alliance in late Ren early Ind? Just use your diplo skills to identify and target the goat.

Two in Honor is a gambit, and if it was Diety, I doubt I would give up the general. But on Immortal, I can image a few situations where one could use it. Like take,the next door capitol then give up the general.

Play to the strength of their UA by maximizing friendships, farming units of pariahs for great generals and admirals, and doing nifty things like gifting great prophets with only one spread religion usage left or gifting useless captured prophets... Not by going honor.

Might seem nice, but it actually slows down your progress through Tradition.

Since you will be taking 2 policies in Honor before finishing Tradition, the effective cost of the Honor opener and Warrior Code is the cost of your 7th and 8th policies (your last 2 policies in Tradition), which is (with 2 cities) 390 and 525 culture, respectively, or a total of 915 culture. Gifting a Great General to a cultural CS will earn you 30 turns of 6 culture per turn and 30 more turns of 3 culture per turn, or a total of 270 culture. That means you would need to earn 645 culture from the Honor opener to break even. Each brute killed is 8 culture and each barb archer is 7 culture. Even with raging barbs, you aren't going to kill 43 brutes and archers in the course of 60 or so turns.

Open and finish Tradition, and don't bother with the diversion to Honor, even when playing as Sweden.

Well it would most likely be more than 30 turns of alliance because a barb quest could be done but it still doesn't seem worth while :p

Top Bottom