Carthage

DaNuke

Warlord
I've always (since last month :lol: ) Wanted to know more about Carthage, and Carthage's Culture, and If you guys could teach me somethings, I would be really grateful! :)

Well, if you want a great book on the subject, I highly recommend Carthage Must be Destroyed. Buy it or pick it up from your library.

Just prepare yourself for the fact that everyone in Carthaginian history is either named Hannibal, Hamilcar, or Hasdrubal.

Well, much of Carthage's history was burnt when Rome razed Carthage to the ground. It was the mostly Romans who wrote about Carthage.

Well, if you want a great book on the subject, I highly recommend Carthage Must be Destroyed. Buy it or pick it up from your library.

Just prepare yourself for the fact that everyone in Carthaginian history is either named Hannibal, Hamilcar, or Hasdrubal.

That book is excellent if you are looking for an introduction to Carthage, which I suspect you are.

Well, much of Carthage's history was burnt when Rome razed Carthage to the ground. It was the mostly Romans who wrote about Carthage.

Greeks wrote about them as well.

That is exactly what Carthage Must Be Destroyed tries to address.

You know this is something I have always wanted to read about but for some reason haven't. Will check it out sometime. Also - did the Carthaginians leave any substantial ruins of note in Spain that have been discovered?

I'd be surprised if any turned up. The serious Carthaginian presence in Iberia only gets going after the First Punic War, and were cast out by Scipio et al some 30 years later. The colonies that were there for a long time I think remained permanently settled up to today, so any ruins are probably gone or inaccessible.

Cartagena for instance, was settled by the Carthagians. It was originally called Qart Hadasht, or Carthago Nova.

Cartagena for instance, was settled by the Carthagians. It was originally called Qart Hadasht, or Carthago Nova.

Fun fact: Carthage was also called Qart Hadasht.

That feels like a Civ player who decided to start naming the cities.

And then he ran out of ideas.

Most place and city names are about as complicated.

Pittsburgh: Pitt's fortification
Chester: (Legacæstir): City of legions
Avon: River (Brythonic)
Rhine: flow/run
Thames: Dark River

At least you dudes have names. A lot of villages/towns in Southeast Asia don't have names.

Most place and city names are about as complicated.

Pittsburgh: Pitt's fortification
Chester: (Legacæstir): City of legions
Avon: River (Brythonic)
Rhine: flow/run
Thames: Dark River

I understand there is a town in Wales that is a compilation (and compression) of the words "ford" and "town" in five languages.

J

Do you speak either language?

Top Bottom