Frequently Asked Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirp

Emperor
Thanks to Lt. 'Killer' M for all his work on the FAQ. Without his tireless efforts, it would not be possible.

:tank: Civilization 3 and Civilization - Play the World :tank:
:tank::tank::tank:Frequently Asked Questions
:tank::tank::tank:

Last update March 15

Please post questions in the Newbie Qs thread

Play the World users: Please check the Multiplayer and PTW section for differences between Civ3

and PTW. The FAQ ALWAYS refers to Civ3 unless stated otherwise, differences are ONLY listen in the PTW

section!!!!!

How to use this thread

Check this post for questions that are similar to what you want to ask. Then, click the section header and thefull

section with questions and answers will open in a new window or simply scroll down to the section you want.

Post 1: General Questions
  • What is the latest patch version and where can I get it?
  • How do I take screenshots?
  • What does GOTM stand for?
  • Is there a newsgroup for Civilization III?
  • Where can I download Civ3 scenarios?

Post 2: General Gameplay Questions
  • Where can I get a keyboard spreadsheet?
  • Where can I get a quick overview of unit/tech costs and stats?
  • I have taken a civs last town - and they are still there on the F4 screen!
  • 'The *** refuse to meet our envoy' - what can I do?
  • What is Accelerated Production?
  • Why is the AIs so sucky?????
  • What advantages do the AIs get on each level?
  • What are 'culturally linked starting positions'?
  • How many units can I build off one iron resource?
  • I have the necessary tech, but the strategic resources is nowhere to be found!
  • I can't build railroads. Why?
  • I irrigated my grassland, and it's still producing only 2 food. Is this a bug?
  • Is there a turn limit on the game, regardless of what victory conditions you chose?
  • Is there any way to change the year the game ends?
  • How many turns from 4000 BC until 2050 AD?
  • How do I view Top 5 cities, wonders of the world, etc?
  • Corruption is way too high
  • The AI always gangs up on me.
  • How many Golden Ages can I have throughout the game?
  • How do I stop the AI from building and finishing its spaceship?
  • Everyone keeps telling me I can edit the rules - how does this work?
  • What is "preserve Random Seed"?
  • Will I loose a lot of culture if I move my Palace or a city falls?

Post 3: Military and unit-related

Questions
  • My strong units keep losing to weak AI units - WHY?????
  • Bombard - how does it work?
  • How does combat work?
  • I keep sending Fighters on Air Superiority missions - but I see no effect. How does AS work?
  • Why do capturable units sometimes get destroyed and sometimes captured?
  • Upgrading all my units is a pain in the ***!
  • How do I cancel a bombardment?
  • I have a leader - now how to turn him into an army?
  • Is there an easy way to tell how many units are in an army? Especially when it's in a large stack?
  • How do I unload armies or change units in an army?
  • How often do Great Leaders appear?
  • Can blitz-capable units creat leaders on their 2nd attack?
  • My automated workers keep changing my irrigation and mines. How do I stop that?
  • How exactly do you "heal" your troops?
  • How do I destroy an enemy Colony?
  • How do I upgrade a unit / Why can't I upgrade?
  • What are the odds of promotions?
  • How many units do i need to suprpess a culture flip?
  • Razing cities lowers my reputation - but what about taking, then abandoning?
  • If I take a town and raze it - will wonders in it be gone forever or can I rebuild them elsewhere?

Post 4: Town & production management Questions
  • What is WLTKD / the fireworks over my city?
  • Why doesn't my city grow past size 6 or 12?
  • How do I tell if a coast tile is 'fresh water'?
  • How much food and production does a city square give? And how do rivers and so on affect it?
  • How do I disband a city?
  • What do the numbers and icons by my cities mean?
  • How do I get out of Mobilization economy?
  • Why can't I build my wonder?
  • How do I use the production queue?
  • How do I turn on/off the city governors?
  • Can I rush the production of a Wonder with an Army?
  • After I build a Solar Plant I notice no difference in Production.
  • What does the small anchor just above the size-number and left of the city-name mean???
  • Does the city being filled with foreign citizens increase corruption? Should I try to water down the gene pool with my citizens?
  • How do I keep the city from changing production to obsolete units when something is completed?
  • My cities keep flipping to the AI - what can I do?
  • What is Accelerated Production?

Post 5: Strategy Questions

(very brief overview and links to important threads)
  • I am pathetic - what do i have to do to win?
  • What can I do about corruption and waste? It is ridiculously high!
  • The AI keeps attacking because I have a weak military - but they only have outdated units!
  • What can I do on higher levels to counter the AI advantages?

Post 6: Diplomacy and Trade

Questions
  • How to establish embassies?
  • How do I access the advanced espionage missions?
  • How do I change/stop trades after 20 turns?
  • How can I see diplo-relation between several other civs?
  • How do I view the other 8 civs on the foreign advisor screen in a 16 player game?
  • The AI always gangs up on me.
  • What does the yellow dot next to a leader mean in the foreign advisor screen?
  • Why is the AI so reluctant to trade luxuries, even if I offer three for one?
  • How do I call a UN vote?
  • If I break treaties wiht a Civ, then exterminate them before we meet anyone else, will these other civs know about that and will my reputation be tarnished?

Post 7: Multiplayer Questions - what's different in PTW? What's new?
  • What is the latest PTW patch?
  • Online games are extremely slow and crash all the time - what's wrong????
  • What is different from Civ3 in PTW?
  • Why can't I see the new buttons for workers?
  • How does Simultaneous move (Si-move) and Turnless move work?

Post 8: Scenario Questions
  • In future era start, AI do not produce defenders. What's wrong?
  • How do I add new units and UUs in PTW?
  • How can I assign starting location in the editor?
  • Where are the dino and WWII units?
  • How can I create new leaderheads and technologies?
  • how can I 'mix' scenarios?
  • Is there a thread detailing changed strategies for the TETurkhan mod?

Post 9: Technical Questionshttp://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=957094#post957094
  • Miscellaneous game-doesn't-start-problems.
  • I get a divide by zero error in the game.
  • The text in the game is exceptionally large and doesn't fit in dialog boxes.
  • The screen goes black or says Out of sync after the intro video.
  • Scrolling is terribly slow and I'm using a NVidia video card and Windows 2000 or XP.
  • The screen goes black after the splash screen and doesn't do anything anymore.
  • The splash screen shows and the game stops or gives an error in ~DF394B.TMP
  • My foreign advisor shows too few enemy faces.
  • I tried changing the resolution as written in the readme.txt, but it doesn't work?

Post 10: Science and science-related questions
  • Does research get cheaper the more Civs know the tech in questions already?
  • How does the AI decide which tech to research next - and how does it value the techs?
  • The Theory of Evolution Wonder gives two free techs - which?
  • Scientific Civs get a free tech when entering a new age - which?
  • People talk about using Scouts for science- what do they mean?
  • People talk about using one scientist and minimum science - what do they mean?
  • Often, when i have 1 turn left to find a tech, I cans set the rate lower and get more money. Is this advisable?

Post 11: Acronyms

Post 12: How to use forum features
  • How does all that

General Questions:

Where can I get a keyboard spreadsheet?
Where can I get a quick overview of unit/tech costs and stats?
  • here`s the very nice IDSmokersKeyboardSpread.zip
    (zipped Word-doc) that lists all options for all units with the appropriate hot-key.
    Thank you very much IDSmoker!!!!!

and here's Nethogs "1-pager Civ 3 Tech Tree & Unit Summary

I have created a tech tree for Civ 3 with all 4 ages shown on a single 8.5"x11" page. I have also created a 1-page detailed unit summary. Both are available as native office files or pdf files on my web site at
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pmm1/games/games.html" He also has great stuff for PTW!

What is the latest patch version and where can I get it?
  • The latest patch for Civilization 3 is v1.29f.
  • for PTW, the lates patch is 1.27f.
  • You can get it (as well as all old patches) at http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3patches.shtml
  • The latest patch includes all fixes in previous patches.

How do I take screenshots?
  • Use the capture-function of a graphics program
    or
  • Hit the 'Prt Scrn' button on your keyboard. Then open a graphics program such as Paint (you can use the windows key, then go to Programs....Accesories...Paint, this way you don't need to exit the game), then you 'paste' and there's the screenshot! Remember to reduce the image size a bit, or crop it, and save the file as .JPG.
  • Use this handy ScreenShotAssistant program.
  • There are also lots of screenshot programs you can download at download.com.
What does GOTM stand for?
  • GOTM stands for Game of the Month. It's the most popular (casual) contest in the Civ community.
  • You can learn more about it here.
Is there a newsgroup for Civilization III?
  • Yes, the newsgroup is at alt.games.civ3
Where can I download Civ3 scenarios?

General Gameplay Questions

Where can I get a keyboard spreadsheet?
  • Read the hotkey reference in the civilopedia or manual and read readme.txt from the Civilization 3 directory to access some options that can't be accessed through menus or icons, like Railroad-to (ctrl-shift-R), upgrade all (shift-U), view clean terrain (ctrl-shift-M), etc. The Civ3 Reference section also contains some excellent reference files. In PTW, a most are accessible through the 'Advanced unit buttons' that can be toggled on in the preferences.
  • here`s the very nice IDSmokersKeyboardSpread.zip
    (zipped Word-doc) that lists all options for all units with the appropriate hot-key.
    Thank you very much IDSmoker!!!!!
Where can I get a quick overview of unit/tech costs and stats?
  • here's Nethogs "1-pager Civ 3 Tech Tree & Unit Summary
    I have created a tech tree for Civ 3 with all 4 ages shown on a single 8.5"x11" page. I have also created a 1-page detailed unit summary. Both are available as native office files or pdf files on my web site at
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pmm1/games/games.html"
  • He also has great stuff for PTW!
I have taken a civs last town - and they are still there on the F4 screen :eek: I cannot kill them, they will not talk to me and my empire goes down in war weariness. What can I do?????
  • The civ may have restarted somewhere
  • The civ may have a settler on a ship somewhere.
  • Either sign alliances against them and hope they get killed once they land or simply give them a city, move troops towards it to get them to talk, make peace.
'The ******** refuse to meet our envoy!' - what can I do?
  • if you scare them enough, they will listen - move a lot of units into their territory.[+]Wait and try again
What is Accelerated Production?
  • see Town and Production Management Questions for a detailed answer.
  • Doubled growth, production, and research for everyone.
    Thanx, Bamspeedy

Why is the AI so sucky?????
  • To quote ****** (forgot the nick - sorry!!!!!) My point here is, that games AI are not AI: Artificial Intelligence. They don't think, react would be a more appropriate term. They evaluate the environment (i.e. the current state of the game) and react to it. The quality of a game AI is then directly proportional to how accurate the AI model evaluate the state of the game and what decision it is supposed to make for each criteria.

What advantages do the AIs get on each level?

What are 'culturally linked starting positions'?
  • It means that civs in the same game will tend to start near civs that share the same culture grouping as themselves. (i.e., the Germans start near the French, and so on)
    this is straight from Dan @ Firaxis, so you better check twice before you doubt it! Thanx

Dan!

How many units can I build off one iron resource.
  • Resources disappear randomly, don't hold back on building units, it won't make resources disappear faster or slower.
  • You can also stockpile troops and then upgrade for a traded for resource - it is the same how much you pay for the res since the AI doesn't take into account how many units you can upgrade....
I have the necessary tech, but the strategic resources is nowhere to be found!
  • press shift+Ctrl+m to show the map without all units, towns and improvements - this will help finding the resources.
  • the frequency of the resources is dependent on the number of civilizations, so if you have only 1 opponent, do not be surprised if you see 90% of the map and can't find iron - it may well be that the two or three iron are all in the black 10%!
  • sometimes, reloading the game helps - there seems to be a graphics / map update glitch
  • sometimes, the resources are in the craziest places, e.g. all 5 coal on one 7 tile island. look hard!
  • you can contact the other civs via F4 and see if they have the resource to sell (even if they only have 1 it will show as e.g. Coal (0)), so - if they know the tech - you'll know where to look.
I can't build railroads. Why?
  • Your city needs to have access to Coal and Iron strategic resources.
  • Sometimes, the map display is buggy. Often, saving and reloading helps here.
I irrigated my grassland, and it's still producing only 2 food. Is this a bug?
  • In despotism, production that is 3 or more gets cut down by one point. So if you have 2 food on
    a square you get both of it. If you then irrigate you have 3, which gets cut down by one so in the end you have 2 food.
  • squares with extra food do not loose the bonus even in despotism. Also, floodplains give three food, irrigated 4, minus 1 they still give 3, 1 more then if not irrigated.
Is there a turn limit on the game, regardless of what victory conditions you chose?
Is there any way to change the year the game ends?

• Unmodded Games will always stop recording score at 2050, no matter what type of game you are playing, but you can still continue playing after that.
  • In PTW, you can set the number of turns in the editor: 1000 is max. Alternatively you can set a playing time after which the game ends.
  • If no one has won by the year 2050 then the winner is determined by the sum of your score at the end of each time period. So, if you ended the game with 200 points at the end of the first time period, 300 the next then 400 then 1000 you'd have a final score of 200+300+400+1000/4 = 475.
How many turns from 4000 BC until 2050 AD?
    Thanks MuddyOne
How do I view Top 5 cities, wonders of the world, etc?
  • The keys F7 through F12 show such things, just like in Civ2.
Corruption is way too high.
  • To reduce corruption don't make too many cities, the game keeps corruption lower when you have upto 8 cities on a tiny map and upto 32 cities on a huge map, other maps are in between.
  • Try to get your cities in 'We Love the Ruler' day, do this by trading for all luxuries, or increasing the luxuries rate in the domestic advisor.
  • Corruption is modifiable since version 1.21f of the game through the editor in new games only.
The AI always gangs up on me.
  • Beat the AI to alliances, and get some Mutual Protection Pacts (MPP) for yourself.
  • Use the Foreign Advisor screen to see which A.I.s have MPP.
How many Golden Ages can I have throughout the game?
  • One, and it lasts 20 turns.
  • The DURATION can be changed in the editor.
How do I stop the AI from building and finishing its spaceship?
  • The way to stop the AI from building and finishing its spaceship is by capturing its capital. In the process of capturing the capital the spaceship is destroyed and the AI has to start over.
    thanx God
Everyone keeps telling me I can edit the rules - how does this work?
  • here's a short tutorial - thanx sumthinelse
    Let's assume you want to edit the rules in a "regular" game. There is something more complicated called a "scenario," which gives you more options but is more difficult to start on.Befroe you start, make a copy of the file civ3mod.bic, name it whatever you like. This will be the file you modify.
    Start the editor:
    Infogames main menu->Civ 3->Civ3edit
    Load the filename you gave to the copy of civ3mod.bic. Do not change civ3mod.bic, just copies of it!!!
    For example, if you want a warrior to move 100 squares, go to
    Rules->Edit Rules->Units->warrior.
    Then change his moves from 1 to 100. Then you have to save the file.
    Then start your game. Choose "Start Scenario (since 1.21 there's no difference between a scenario and a normal game, except that for a scenario you can choose with .bic will be used). Choose the file you just edited.
    There are lots of other things you can change, but you always have to change the file and save it before you start a game.
What is "preserve Random Seed"?
  • The game uses a random number generator to determine the outcome of battles or occurence of culture flips. With this option on, the number will be saved in the game, so you will get the same result when you reload. if it is off, you will get different results when reloading
  • a more detailed explaination by sumthinelse - thanx!
    The default behavior of the game is like this:

You save the game. Then your swordsman attacks a spearman and dies. You can reload the saved game 100,000 times and retry the combat, but the swordsman will always die. The reason is that the random number generated after you reload will always be the same, because it's in the saved game file.

If you turn off "remember random seed":

You can reload and retry the attack, and the random number will be recalculated. So if you retry the attack, the swordsman will win sometimes and lose sometimes. Sometimes the swordsman will win and have no damage, sometimes will have only one hit point left.

So one way of looking at it is if you want to "cheat." I can turn that option on and off using a hex editor on the saved game (not civ3edit). This is useful if I want to test if something is possible or if something happens every time. If a veteran tank unit wins twice on the same turn, it always gets promoted to elite. You can test that by turning the random seed option off and attacking 2 warriors several times
Will I loose a lot of culture if I move my Palace or a city falls?
  • NO! Culture you have aquired will not be lost. Only the gain from the improvements you lost will not be there.
  • It does matter if a city is taken though because old buildings (>1000 years) give more culture. So rebuilding them will give you slower culture growth then before.

Military and Unit-related Questions

see nethogs units summary 1-pager:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pmm1/games/games.html

Bombard - how does it work?
My strong units keep losing to weak AI units - WHY?????

How does combat work?
  • Each battle is divided into rounds.
  • In each round, a random generated number is used to determine which unit looses 1 hitpoint. The result depends on the A (attack) value of the attacking unit, the D (defence) value of the defender and on defence boni (river, terrain, fortification and so on).
  • The fight ends when one unit is out of HP and dies (exception: fast units fighting slow units can sometimes withdraw!)

I keep sending Fighters on Air Superiority missions - but I see no effect. How does AS work?
  • Here's a post from cracker that pretty much sums up all that you need to know:
  • I have personally observed Air Superiority fighters engage and shoot down bombers that have been attacking nearby road squares as well as naval units in nearby coastal and sea squares. The air superiority umbrella does provide some minimal chance of protection to assets located near a city or near an aircraft carrier.
  • I am still uncertain about how the intercept engagement probability functions.
  • Considerable experience has so far shown that when you have multiple fighters assigned to air superiority missions you can get multiple interceptions, but it appears that only one fighter attempts to intercept each bomber even if there are 10 or 20 air superiority fighters present in the defense.
  • My observations are:

1) The interception probability setting effects whether the Air superiority fighter will engage the incoming attacker. If an attacker is incoming and the AS fighter looses the coin toss and does not choose to engage, then the turn is over for the AS fighter and none of the subsequent bombers will be interecpeted by that AS fighter. If you have additional fighter then you have a chance at interception. I cannot say for absolutely certain but it appears that when they loose the interception coin toss and decide not to engage than that takes them out of the process for the rest of the turn.

2) if you have 5 AS fighters in a city, then they only have a chance of intercepting the first five attackers, after the AS fighters are used up by doing nothing or attempting an intercept then the target is naked and you can just bomb away.

3) if you have multiple AS fighters in multiple cities that overlap and then the enemy bombs a target that falls within more than one AS zone, you still will only get one chance at interception. (I believe, so far). I have had this occur with two cities and an aircraft carrier all providing AS fighter cover over contested territory and still have never seen notably improved interception rates.

4) I have never observed an AS engagement after the third or fourth incoming attacker sent over an AI city.

5) bombers sometimes survive interception but stealth bombers never survive in they loose the coin toss and get intercepted.

6) I have never had a recon or rebase mission intercepted, so I think those missions do not trigger the interceptors even when the mission point is very clearly in the expected intercept range.

7) interception success rate is not improved by having the AS fighters based in a city with an airport. I guess they are just as effective when taking off from the median of the local expressway.

8) interception success rate is not improved by the discovery of the technology "Radar" even though you would think that would be the key variable.

9) the probability of interception has nothing to do with the experience level of the interceptor, but this can effect if the attacker is successfully shot down because the hit points can be used up more easily on regular air units compared to their elite counterparts.

10) even when a bomber is not successfully shot down and survives interception, I think the experience must shake up the crew so badly that they forget to to drop their bombs.

11) AS interceptors will not engage attackers that fly through their AS zone and attack targets on the other side. I have verified this by sitting a carrier next to city that I knew had three fighters stationed in it and then used the bombers on the carrier to bomb the crap out connecting rail lines that were outside of the AS zone surrounding the city. Never had a fighter engage the bombers flying by, but when I bombed near the city the fighters then tried an occasional intercept.
    thanx, cracker!

Why do capturable units sometimes get destroyed and sometimes captured?
  • You can only capture units when you have the appropriate technology to build them.
Upgrading all my units is a pain in the ***!
  • When one of your units is selected press shift-U instead of U and all the units of the same type that can be upgraded will be upgraded.
  • Must be in cities with barracks, resources must be available, gold must be available.
  • If you are upgrading naval units, the city must have a harbor.
  • Iyf you are upgrading air units they must be in a city with an airport.
How do I cancel a bombardment?
  • Right-click on the unit that you had selected. The bombardment grid will disappear.

I have a leader - now how to turn him into an army?
  • Bring him to a city. Click the icon that says 'build Army' or press 'b'. You need to have 4 cities per army!
  • You cna now load units into the army by putting them on the same square (any saquare, not necessarily city) and pressing 'l'

Is there an easy way to tell how many units are in an army? Especially when it's in a large stack?

• You can easily tell how many units are in an army at a glance, even if it's not YOUR army. Just look at the flag their leader is carrying. In ancient times, the number of "dots" on the flag corresponds to the number of units in the army. In more modern times, the flag has diagonal stripes going from the corners to the center. In this case, the number of stripes indicates how many units are in the army, so that with if a player has the Pentagon and fills up an army completely, the flag will have an 'X' on it.Thanx Lucky Dragon!

How do I unload armies or change units in an army?
  • You can't unload, change, or upgrade units in an army once it's formed, in versions 1.07f, 1.16f, and 1.21f of the game. In version 1.17f you can unload units from an army by using the stack movement command, "J". Being able to unload units is a bug in version 1.17f.
  • In PTW, it can be done: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38929
How often do Great Leaders appear?

see sumthinelses excellent thread on Great Leader here
  • When your elite unit won a battle, there is 1/16 chance to become a GL. Heroic Epic changes this to 1/12. The chance is halved for elite units winning battles defensively.
  • Contrary to popular belives, having the militaristic trait only double the promotion chance, not the chance for a leader. However being militaristic means you will get more elite units, and thus have more opportunities for leaders.
  • No GL will appear from fighting Barbarians, only against another civs units.
  • No Gl will appear from wins with an army, or from wins with a sea or air unit.
  • You can only have a maximum of one GL at a time.
  • There are reported bugs of getting more than one GL at a time and getting armies from goody huts.
  • An elite unit that has produced a leader cannot produce another one. It can get promoted again and then produce a leader again if it is upgraded. thanx sunthinelse
Can blitz-capableunits creat leaders on their 2nd attack?
  • Yes. They can also do that if they were just promoted in the first combat.
    thanx Mike B @Firaxis
My automated workers keep changing my irrigation and mines. How do I stop that?
  • Press shift-A to automate them instead of A, this way they will
    - won't destroy any existing improvements
    - won't plant forests
    - will do things like forest/jungle cutting
    - will build irrigations, mines (not sure what's the decision factor but it works fairly well, as most of my major cities are around size 25-30)
    - will build roads, railroads, although often without any sense(IE, they will not build railroads between cities FIRST, but rather they will build rails around one city, then around another and so on). They will build roads and rails outside your borders as well, if cities aren't connected.
    - will clean pollution (it's their priority task)
    - will connect any resources to existing road/railroad network as soon as they are discovered and inside your borders(that's great IMO, you don't have to bother with map scanning)
    - will generally avoid contact with any enemy forces(if auto worker sees enemy unit they will turn back)
    - will change mines to irrigation if that is needed to bring water to otherwise dry area!!
How exactly do you "heal" your troops?
  • Whenever a unit stands still for a hole Turn, he will heal. If he is in a city WITH the Barracks, he will heal completely, but if the troop is healing in the field he will heal one point. Your unit can't heal in enemy territory, without the Battlefield medicine.
How do I destroy an enemy Colony?
  • You just walk over it with an unit. Or build a city near the enemy colony. When the culutral radius expands over the colony, it is dispersed.

How do I upgrade a unit / Why can't I upgrade?
  • In order to upgrade:
    - the unit must be in a city with Barracks
    - you must have to required technology and resource(s)
    - the town with the unit must be connected to the resource!
    - you must have sufficient money
    - the unit must be upgradable (depends on the mod you might use)

What are the odds of promotions?
  • Odds of promotion are based on whether the civ has the Militaristic trait or not and whether the victory was against barbarians or not. Basically, chances of promotion are halved for victories over Barbarians and doubled for Militaristic civs.

non-militaristic civ vs. non-barbarians:
    conscript to regular: 1 in 2
    regular to veteran: 1 in 4
    veteran to elite: 1 in 8

non-militaristic civ vs. barbarians:
    conscript to regular: 1 in 4
    regular to veteran: 1 in 8
    veteran to elite: 1 in 16

militaristic civ vs. non-barbarians:
    conscript to regular: 1 in 1
    regular to veteran: 1 in 2
    veteran to elite: 1 in 4

militaristic civ vs. barbarians:
    conscript to regular: 1 in 2
    regular to veteran: 1 in 4
    veteran to elite: 1 in 8

If a victorious unit fails to get promoted, it will always be promoted upon surviving any other battle in the same turn . This gives an obvious advantage to defenders as well as an incentive to use the same offensive units for additional battles whenever possible.
    Thanx again Mike.B@Firaxis

How many units do i need to suprpess a culture flip?
  • the full formula (this is from Sorenson, who is responsible for this programming):

P=[(F+T)*Cc*H*(Cte/Cty) - G]/D

where:
    P = probability that it will flip this turn
    F = # foreignors, with resistors counting double
    T = # working tiles under foreign control (out of the max of 21, no matter what the cultural boundaries are atm)
    Cc = 2 if foreign civ has more local culture than you, 1 otherwise
    H = .5 for WLTKD, 2 for disorder, 1 otherwise
    Cte = Total culture of the foreign civ
    Cty = Total culture of your civ
    G = # garrison units
    D = factor based on relative distance to capitals

Now reorganizing this gives the required garrison as:
    G = (F+T)*Cc*H*(Cte/Cty)

As you can see there is a nice set of extra factors there. Now when you take a city Cc is likely to be 2 for a long while. And then there is the culture ratio. And this is a true ratio so it could be 1.1:1, 2:1, 5:1 depending on how much culture each of you has

The national culture factor is probably the reason why some seem to have no problem with culture flips and others do. Since if you have strong national culture, this value might be approaching 1/2, which can keep the garrison down at a 1:1 ratio. However, if conversley the AI civ in question has double your culture, you are going to need 4 units for every foreignor and tile to prevent a flip.
    Thank you, etj4Eagle !!!

Razing cities lowers my reputation - but what about taking, then abandoning?
  • Here's a little clarification from MikeB_Firaxis about this issue:

quote:If you abandon a city that recently belonged to another civ, you get the same reputation as if you had razed the city when you captured it.

Note that "recently belonged to another civ" refers to the civ who has the most citizens in the city. So if you raze a size 4 city from 3 of the citizens are Egyptian, it will affect your reputation as though you razed an Egyptian city. If you wait until 2 of those citizens are assimilated into your culture and only 1 Egyptian citizen remains, it will act like it is your own city and will not incur any diplomatic penalty.
    thanx TF for digging this up

If I take a town and raze it - will wonders in it be gone forever or can I rebuild them elsewhere?
  • Great Wonders are gone forever!
  • Small wonders get destroyed, but the civ that nwo lacks them can rebuild them elsewhere

Town & Production Management Questions

What is WLTKD / the fireworks over my city?
  • Fireworks mean the city is in WLTKD
  • WLTKD means 'We love the (King)'-day
  • To have WLTKD in a city, the following must be true:
    * The city must have size of at least 6
    * The city cannot be shrinking (i.e., it must produce at least twice as much food as its size)
    * There cannot be any unhappy citizens or resistors.
    * The number of happy citizens must be equal to or greater than the number of content/specialist citizens (i.e. at least half of the citizens).
    So a size 6 city will be in WLTKD with 3 happy and 3 content/specialist citizens as long as it produces at least 12 food.
    Thanx, TheNiceOne!
  • WLTKD gives lower waste

Why doesn't my city grow past size 6 or 12?
  • Cities either need access to a river or fresh water or need an aqueduct (needs Construction) to grow beyond size 6. To grow beyond size 12 you need to invent Sanitation and build hospitals.

How do i tell if a coast tile is 'fresh water'?
  • Right-click it, if it gives two food it is fresh!
  • Lakes are seawater or freshwater depending on their size: up to 22 tiles they are fresh!

How much food and production does a city square give? And how do rivers and so on affect it?
  • The center tile:
  • Produces exactly two food for all terrain.
  • Uses terrain shield production, but has a one-shield-minimum.
  • Uses terrain commerce production. Includes road commerce bonus, if appicable to the terrain. Capital produces four commerce minimum (new to 1.21f, and subject to government penalty).
  • If size 7+, produces one extra shield and one extra commerce.
  • If size 13+, produces yet another shield and another commerce. On top of that, but only for this size, commercial civs produce an extra commerce, and Industrious produce an extra shield.
  • Despotism/Anarchy tile penalty applies as for any other tile.this info from alexman on Apolyton - thanx, alexman
  • since you cannot build mines on city squares or irrigate them it usually is not a good idea to settle on bonus or strategic resources.

How do I disband a city?
  • There are two ways. The NEW way: Right click on a city and choose "Abandon City" from the menu (requires patch v1.21 or higher).
  • The OLD way: Starve the city (by changing the citizens into entertainers) and keep producing workers or settlers.

What do the numbers and icons by my cities mean?
  • The large number on the left shows the size of the city (red if the city is decreasing in size, yellow if it stays the same, white if it's growing
  • The top number indicates how many turns are left before the city will grow.
  • The bottom number indicates how many turns are left before the current building or unit is built.
  • An anchor indicates there is a harbor in the city.
  • An airplane indicates there is an an airport in the city.
  • Black smoke means the city is in disorder.
  • Fireworks mean the city has a We Love The [ruler] Day.

How do I get out of Mobilization economy?
  • End a war to get out of it (any one will do), if you enabled it during peace time you will have to start a war to get out of it.
Why can't I build my wonder?
  • You might be building it in another city already. You can only build one of the same wonder at a time.
  • You rush-built your current building and you're trying to switch. To force people to build a wonder completely you can't do any type of rush-building, not paying for it, not clearing forests, not disbanding units, not even if you rush somehting and then try to switch.
  • You don't have the required items yet, some wonders like SDI Defense require 5 Sam Sites in your cities.
  • The Wonder might require access to fresh water (small lake or river) or sea water (costal squares) to be built.
How do I use the production queue?
  • Shift-Click - Add to production queue.
  • Shift-Q - Save production queue as default.
  • Q - Load production queue with default.
  • Shift-Del - Removes all items from the queue.
  • Click-Del - Removes the item clicked.

How do I turn on/off the city governors?
  • Right-click on your city and select contact governer to change
    options. Carefull, they sometimes are buggy - perhaps you have to reload the game for the changes to come into effect!

Can I rush the production of a Wonder with an Army?
  • No, only with a Leader, which is the unit you build armies with.

After I build a Solar Plant I notice no difference in Production.
  • That's because you have another Power Plant that already produces 50% production. The positive thing with Solar Plant is that it doesn't produce any Pollution.

What does the small anchor just above the size-number and left of the city-name mean???
  • It means the town has a harbor in it. This is displayed that way so you can also see it for foreign cities, since harbor play an important role in trade.

Does the city being filled with foreign citizens increase corruption? Should I try to water down the gene pool with my citizens?
  • Cities with foreigners are more prone to corruption, but mainly because they generally are not as happy as cities with only your population. This is especially true if you are at war with their motherland.
  • The gene pool automatically gets watered down through time, you can speed it up by adding settlers or workers to a city (if you use workers, make sure that they are ones you made, not captured ones...captured workers will add a population point of their original nationality). Over time, you will assimilate the foreigners into your population.

How do I keep the city from changing production to obsolete units when something is completed?
  • Use the 'Always start last built unit' option from the prefrences menu. If you didn`t build a unit before, you`ll have to live with it.Also, use the production queue (see above).
  • A nice way to quickly check all cities and change their production if you don´t like it is pressing 'z' to zoom out, then Shift-rightclick the city you want to change. A production list will pop up. This is way faster than using the normal F1 city list, but be carefull not to miss one!
My cities keep flipping to the AI - what can I do?
  • Build more cultural buildings (Temples, Libraries etc.)
  • Keep more (a lot!!!) troops in the cities

What is Accelerated Production?
  • What it does is double growth, production, and research for everyone. For example, at the start you only need 10 food to get another population point instead of 20, and only 5 shields to build a warrior instead of 10. This speeds up the game tremendously. However, it is a little off-balance since worker speed and unit movements are still the same. So even if you are industrious, your population grows alot faster than your workers can keep up with the terrain improvements.
  • With accelerated production, if you play at chieftain, then the AI will be building/growing at the normal human's pace (without accelerated production, or what your used to playing in previous patches), but the human would be building/growing at a pace higher than Deity.
    Thanx, Bamspeedy (and thanx to TF for pointing this out to me)

How does Mass Transit and the Recycling Center affect Pollution.

Thanks to Madscot for posting this

In simple terms:
Mass transit reduces the pollution, but does not eliminate it.

Without Mass Transit
  • Pop 13, Pollution 1
  • Pop 14 Pollution 2
  • Pop 15 Pollution 3
  • Population n Pollution n-12
  • Population 26 Pollution 14
  • etc

With Mass Transit
  • Pop 13, Pollution 1
  • Pop 14 Pollution 1
  • Pop 15 Pollution 1
  • Population n (>12) Pollution 1
  • Population 26 Pollution 1
  • etc

So Mass transit does not eliminate the pollution, merely reduces it (in some cases massively).

Recycling works in a similar fashion - no matter how much "improvement pollution" you have, a recycling centre reduces it to one point only. So the largest city, with every single pollution causing improvement, will have just 2 pollution if it has both a recycling centre and mass transit.

It is only possible to have NO pollution if you have a population of 12 or less AND no improvements which cause pollution.

Strategy Questions

Check out the WAR ACADEMY - it teaches all you will ever need to know about waging war :D

Please check the Strategy Forum; here I will collect the most frequently asked Questions only!

I am pathetic - what do i have to do to win?
  • Expand, expand, expand!
  • Trade, trade, trade
  • Be sure not to throw money out the window by researching expensive techs
  • Be trustworthy (keep your deals) - makes trading alot better.

What can I do about corruption and waste? It is ridiculously high!
  • see here for an excellent explanaiton of how it works and what you can do: corruption thread
    thanx for the analysis, alexman

The AI keeps attacking because I have a weak military - but they only have outdated units!
  • the AI counts units pretty good since 1.29f. If your advisor says you are weak, they know they are stronger - and AIs are bullies....... build up your military!!!!!!
  • surprisingly, some 'cheap' units proove very effective in combat if used correctly, e.g. longbowmen. Start thinking of hoards of longbowmen + Musketmen instead of the expensive Knights!

What can I do on higher levels to counter the AI advantages?
  • try ICS (Infinite City Sprawl) - placing cities as close as possible to get a lot of production out of your land in the ancient era.
  • Early Wars!
  • Do not try to do your own research, instead buy tech or extort them out of AIs

Diplomacy and Trade Questions

How to establish embassies?
  • Double click the star next to your own capital to establish embassies.
  • at the right of the active unit window, click 'e'.

How do I access the advanced espionage missions?
  • Click the pentagon next to the city you built the Intelligence Agency in. Once you have planted a spy use the Pentagon icon near the enemy city you infiltrated to execute missions.
    or
  • once you have a spy you can press the e button on the right of the lower right hand box (where the active unit is viewed) and then select the civ you want to execute the mission in
    thanx, graeme the mad!
How do I change/stop trades after 20 turns?
  • In the trading dialog click "Active" at the bottom of the screen to view active trades. If a trade is preceded by a number that means how many turns are still left. Press "New" to return to new trades.
  • ROPs, MPPs, embargoes and Alliencesare a sort of trade cancelled the same way!
how do i see diplo-relation between several other civs?
  • Hold down the shift key and click them all
How do I view the other 8 civs on the foreign advisor screen in a 16 player game?
  • Shift-rightclick on a portait to change it to another civ. There still is a maximum of 8 portaits at any time
The AI always gangs up on me.
  • Beat the AI to alliances, and get some Mutual Protection Pacts (MPP) for yourself.
  • Use the Foreign Advisor screen to see which A.I.s have MPP.
  • The AI can smell blood in the water - i.e. they think: Oh, he's at war with many so if i go in I can beat him easily!' Try to avoid that, getting allies will keep third parties out of the war, too, by detering them!
What does the yellow dot next to a leader mean in the foreign advisor screen?
  • It means you have an embassy with that civ.

Why is the AI so reluctant to trade luxuries, even if I offer three
for one?

• The AI values trades with the human based on the ratio set in the editor for the level. Supposedly, Regent is equal, but that isn't true: here, the level is set at 130%. So, to the AI an AI offer is worth 130% of the same thing offered by a human.
  • The AI values luxuries according to the number of happy faces they generate. Thus, with marketplaces or more towns, a luxury is worth a lot more. Also, with Marketplaces, the more Luxuries you already have, the bigger your bonus. E.g.: you already have 7 lux, the AI has 1. An additionaly Lux for you is 4 happy faces per city with a Marketplace, for the AI it is worth only 1. Thus, the AI will ask for 4:1 if you ahve the same number of cities.
  • The AI 'knows' if you can use the additional Luxury. If you have lots of cities in WLTKD at size 12 and Hospitals are more than 20 turns away, the AI will be more agreeable to Luxury trades since the additionla Luxuries will help you less than when you have riot everywhere. This can be used to buy 'useless' Luxuries and then just keep the trade going (which is easy since the AI will be in a better mood towards you because of the existing trade)
    Thanx TheNiceOne for detailing this

How do I call a UN vote?
  • There will be a vote (unless you decide not to have one) when you build the UN, then you will be asked again after a certain number of turns. See This Post and This Post for information on the timing of the UN Vote. Thanks to MadScot and pdescobar for running this down.

If I break treaties wiht a Civ, then exterminate them before we meet anyone else, will these other civs know about that and will my reputation be tarnished?

Multiplayer, PBEM and other Play the World Questions

Online games are extremely slow and crash all the time - what's wrong????
  • lots is wrong, but Firaxis has promised to fix everything in the next patch that seems to be in beta atm.

What is the latest PTW patch?
  • version 1.21f is the currently latest patch. Without it, too much doesn't work so you better download it

What is different from Civ3 in PTW?
  • stack movement now come sin two versions: 'j' will move all active units in that square, 'Shift-j' will move all units in that square of the selected type (as 'j' does in Civ3!)
  • for differences in units, see Nethogs excellent unit summary: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pmm1/games/games.html
    Thanx again, nethog!
  • In PTW, Expansionist civs can get cities from goody huts fairly frequently. (There are some rare circumstances where other civs can get a city from a goody hut -- as there were in Civ3.)
    thanx Mike B. FIRAXIS
  • Worker are far more expensive to buy from the AI making it harder to cripple AIs by buying up their workforce in the early years.
  • There are rumors that technologies are more expensive while the luxury deals are fairer.
  • The PTW editor allows a lot of additional functions, amking scenario creation easy. Still, diplo realtions cannot be set

Why can't I see the new buttons for workers?
  • There's an option in the preferences called 'show advanced options' or so - turn it on!

How does Simultaneous move (Si-move) and Turnless move work?
  • From Mike B FIRAXIS:
  • In Si-Move, everyone moves at the same time but you have to wait until everyone moves before you can move again. The turn ends when all players have finished moving or when the turn timer completes. At that point, all upkeep and AI turns take place. Thus, you can potentially lose and re-capture a city on the same turn, depending on when you move your units.
  • You can set a turn time limit for Si-Move, Turn-Based, and Turnless but it is optional . The turn timer is configurable (slow, normal, fast) but is based on the number of units and cities on the map (so you will get more time for your turn as the game progresses).
  • Turnless is much closer to (though not quite) real-time. There are no turns. All players move at the same time. When a unit is moved, it cannot be moved again for a short period of time. Once a city is built, it begins to produce and performs upkeep every few seconds. Thus you will get cities producing at different times and units moving at different times.
    Thanx Mike!!!

PBEM is said not to work well - why?
  • In PBEM, there is no interturn-replay. That means, if you get attacked and loose you will never know, the unit is simply gone.
  • The way wins are handled is very weird: you get to send on the game and the loser gets a pop-up that you have won - and can enter your score with your name into HIS hall of fame..... :confused:

Scenario Questions

In future era start, AI do not produce defenders. What's wrong?

How do I add new units and UUs in PTW?
  • See Bamspeedy's excellent thread here
How can I assign starting location in the editor?
  • open the file you want to change. in this example, i want to assign the jungle tile to Rome:

• right-click the tile:
  • choose properties.
  • check starting location, then click OK
  • right click again, choose reassign
  • choose the civ or random, then click OK
  • done! :D

Where are the dino and WWII units?
How can I create new leaderheads and technologies?

How can I 'mix' scenarios?
  • if you want to take the rules from one scenario and the map or units from another, do this:
    1. load one mod into the editor.
    2. now choose 'file' --> import.
    3. Import the rules or whatever from the other modfile.
    4. Now save under a new name.
  • If you want to e.g. use the watercolor or other graphics with your own mod: The terrain mods use a loophole. The loophole is that scenarios look for files in a certain order. The order is the files in the Scenario Search Folders field in the order listed, followed by the directory that has the same name as the scenario, the PTW standard directories, and finally the original Civ3 files. By naming the directory the same as the scenario, PTW was able to find the graphics file for the Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain.

So how do you merge them?

This is fairly easy. On the Scenario Properties page, put any folders you want included in the Scenario Search Folders field (separated by semicolons).
    For example,

Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain;SomeOtherMod;YAMod;

note: there must be a ; at the end even if you only use 1 mod!
    thanx, warpstorm!

Is there a thread detailing changed strategies for the TETurkhan mod?

Technical Questions

See also the Civ3 Technical Support Forum - This is not the thread to ask tech support questions....please follow this link to ask new questions. Thank you!

Miscellaneous game-doesn't-start-problems.
  • Unload all programs running in the background by rightclicking and closing all the icons near the clock and use ctrl-alt-del to stop other unused programs.
  • Update mother board, video card and/or sound card drivers.

I get a divide by zero error in the game.
  • If you have over 255 fonts this can occur, reduce your fonts to less than 255.

The text in the game is exceptionally large and doesn't fit in dialog boxes.
  • Try removing the Lucida Sans font from your windows\fonts directory.
The screen goes black or says Out of sync after the intro video.
  • This is caused because you don't have the right driver installed for your monitor, find it and install it. If you're unable to do this you can find more difficult solutions on the problems forum.
Scrolling is terribly slow and I'm using a NVidia video card and Windows 2000 or XP.
  • Either change your driver to the windows default one
    or
  • put hardware acceleration down to one notch from the lowest in the windows advanced display properties, however this will cause the next problem mentioned.
The screen goes black after the splash screen and doesn't do anything anymore.
  • The intro video can't be played. Delete or rename the movie files, they are in your Civ3 directory below Art\Movies\
    or
  • In PTW, edit the PTW.ini file, and add the line PlayIntro=0
The splash screen shows and the game stops or gives an error in ~DF394B.TMP
  • This is an error in the copy protection, try running the game with a different cdrom drive or remove the Safedisc copyprotection (this is illegal in USA and some other countries though). Contact Infogrames through their technical support and they can give you a legal copy of the .exe file without the Safedisc protect if you prove that you purchased the game.

My foreign advisor shows too few enemy faces.
  • In your previous game you played with less enemies, a possible solution seems to be to delete the savegames from your previous game.
  • If you play with more than 7 enemies you have to shift-rightclick on faces to change to one of the others.

I tried changing the resolution as written in the readme.txt, but it doesn't work?
  • You can put the line "KeepRes=1" in the Civilization3.ini file. and then change your desktop resolution.

Science and science-related questions

Does research get cheaper the more Civs know the tech in questions already?

How does the AI decide which tech to research next - and how does it value the techs?
  • This is from a post by alexman on the Apolyton forums:
  • The AI places a value on each technology it can research next. The values depend on the various things allowed by each technology, as well as on the turns needed to complete the research. Here are the values:
  • SS Component: 261/turns
    Government: 259/turns
    Conscription: 259/turns
    Mobilization: 259/turns
    Defender (no resource): 198
    Attacker (no resource): 134
    Defender (resource reqd): 70
    Naval Transport: 34
    Resource: 16
    Double Worker Speed: 8
    Allows Diplomats: 8
    MPPs: 8
    ROPs: 8
    Alliances: 8
    Embargoes: 8
    Trade Over Ocean: 8
    Wonder: 6
    Attacker (resource reqd): 6
    Irrigation: 4
    No Disease: 4
    Trade Over Sea: 4
    Bridges: 2
    Double Wealth: 2
    Map Trades: 2
    Communications Trade: 2
    Small Wonder: 2
    Specialist: 2
    Unit (no A/D/NT): 2
    Improvement: 2
    Recycling: 1
    Prec. Bombing: 1
    Worker Job: 1
    Empty Tech Cost: 256/turns
    Optional: divide by 1.5
  • These values are cumulative. For example, Iron Working allows swordsmen and iron, so it has a value of 22 more than if it were just an empty tech. Furthermore, for the Romans who build Legionaries (attacker and defender), Iron Working is worth an additional 70 points!
  • I made a big assumption to get these results. I assumed that the Science advisor suggests that the human player researches the technology that the AI would research under the same circumstances. There was no random factor whatsoever involved in the advisor, but it's possible that the AI players have such a factor.
  • The AI will normally select the cheapest tech to research!

The Theory of Evolution Wonder giives two free techs - which?
  • those that you select!

Scientific Civs get a free tech when entering a new age - which?
  • The cheapest. Usually these are: Monotheism, Nationalism, Rocketry.
  • If other civs already know some of these, other techs may get cheaper. Then, you get these. Engeneering seems to be common.

People talk about using Scouts for science- what do they mean?
  • If you are playing an expansionist civilization, you can enter goody huts at no risk of getting barbarians out of it, and with a high chance of finding atechnologies in them. So on large maps, you can simply crank out a few Scouts, send them on auto-explore (press 'e') and set research to zero. That way, you can easily accumulate enough money and get many of the ancient techs to be the absolute leader in tech and in culture once you get Monarchy or Republic - simply buy lots of Temples and Libraries with the money you earned! Or use it for military upgrades :D

People talk about using one scientist and minimum science - what do they mean?
  • minimum science means researching at the lowest rate that will get a tech. Usually, this is 10%.
  • If a city is hopelessly corrupt, it will usually give 1 Gold and that's it. Turning a citizen into a scientist makes him give 1 beaker for science - regardless of corruption.
  • Instead of setting 10% for min science, you can alos use a single entertainer for it.

Often, when i have 1 turn left to find a tech, I cans set the rate lower and get more money. Is this adviasable?
  • Definately! Beakers that are NOT needed for the science you research get lost! So grab the bucks (but Do remember to turn science back up afterwards)

Acronyms

Civ3/PTW Acronyms

Civ3, Vanilla Civ, VC3 - 'Original' (i.e. - no expansion pack) Civilization 3
PTW - Civ3 Play The World expansion pack
C3C, Conquests - Civ3 Conquests expansion pack
ADM or ADM values - Attack, Defence, Movement values of units
AI - Artificial Intelligence, computer player
Bach - J. S. Bachs cathedral
CF - Culture Flipping - when a city changes allegience due to cultural superiority
Civ - Civilization
FP - Forbidden Palace
GL - Great Leader OR Great Library
GOTM - Game of the Month
gov - Government
HD - Hoover Dam
HOF - Hall of Fame
HP - Hit Point
ICS - Infinite City Sprawl - building cities as close as possible
IW - Iron Works small Wonder
Milking - The tedious art of score maximization
MPP - Mutual Protection Pact
OCC - One City Challenge (Limiting yourself to one city)
#CC - # City Challenge (Limiting yourself to x cities)
pop - Population
RCP - Ring City Placement. Check out This thread for a chart on RCP, and This thread for an excellent discription by DaviddesJ. RCP does not work in C3C.
(P)RNG - (Psuedo)Random Number Generator
ROP - Right of Passage
SHOF - Scenario Hall of Fame
ST - Shakespear's Theater
TGL - The Great Library
TOE- Theory of Evolution Wonder
US - Universal Suffrage
UU - Unique Units, Civ-Specific Units
Whipping - Rush build using city population (under despotism and communism in Civ3)
WLTKD or WLT:king:D - 'We love the King'-Day celebration
WoW - Wonder of the World
WTF - What the F***
ZOC - Zone of Control

General Acronyms
AFAIK - As Far As I Know
BTW - By The Way
CP - Computer Player
E3 - Electronic Entertainment Expo
FWIW - For What It's Worth
IIRC - If I Recall Correctly
IM(H)O - In My (Humble) Opinion
LOL - Laughing Out Loud
NG - Newsgroup
OTOH - On The Other Hand
PBEM - Play By E-Mail (form of multiplayer gaming)
ROTFL - Rolling On the Floor Laughing
"-MAO - ...My Arse Off
RTFM - Read The [Flamin'] Manual!
TTFN - Ta ta For Now
TTYL - Talk To You Later
YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary

PM Me to request additions to this list.

How to use Forum Features

How does all that

[*]Clicking this will give you the following window:

Simply click on 'browse' (where it says 'Durchsuchen' in the screenshot), find the file you want to upload on your PC. You can upload up to three files at a time. Allowed file types are:
[*]*.zip[*]*.jpg[*]*.sav[*]*.gif[*]*.txt[*]*.pcx[*]*.jpeg[*]*.ace[*]*.net

The file size limit for this easy upload is 3 MB. If your file is bigger than 3 MB, you can split it into smaller files. If a file with the same file name already exists, your file will be renamed. Example: If you want to upload a file call civ.jpeg and the file already exists, your file will be renamed to civ1.jpeg
[/list]

How do I link to uploaded files?
How can I post several pictures in one post?

You have to upload the pictures to the File Server via the easy upload feature. Then you have to place links to them into your post.

There are two different ways to do so:

If you use the 'Reply To' button or are posting a new thread, you can click the 'IMG' button over the messge window, then simply type:

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/filename.ext

into the pop-up window. note that the link will be placed at the end of all text you already typed, maybe you will have to cut and paste it to the proper location.

If you are using the Quick Reply window, you cannot access the 'IMG' button. Instead, type:

[img]http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/fielaname.ext[/img]

If you have several images, it is easier to copy and paste the line, then change the filename rather than typing it all out again and again.

Currently, we at CivFanatics are on the Uploads 4 folder. This will change from time to time, so please makes sure that you are linking to the correct uploads folder when tagging an image.

Edit: 3/04 - We're up to the uploads6 folder now.

Edit: 3/04 - Now its the uploads7 folder.

Edit: 11/04 - Now its the uploads8 folder.

Culture Flipping:
  • What is culture flipping (CF)?

Culture flipping is when the borders, of one civ encrouch so much on a city, that the city switches to that civ. Resistors, foreigners, distance to the capital, the city's prior culture, and the civ's total culture also play a factor.

There are three different culture clip Calculators that show the chance of a flip:

Chieftess' 'Babylon II - Culture Flip Calc"

anarres' "Flip Calc"

DaveMcW's HTML Culture Flip Calc

• Which buildings produce culture?

There are three types of buildings that produce culture.

Improvements: Library, Temple, Colleseum, University, Cathedral, and Research Lab.

Small Wonders
    Great Wonders
  • Sometimes my Temples give 2 culture per round, sometimes 4. What's up?

Once an improvement or a wonder has been around for 1,000 years, the culture of that building doubles. For example, your palace produces 1 culture per turn in 4000BC. In 3000BC, it will produce 2 culture per turn. The culture only doubles once.
  • How does mobilization influence culture?

Mobilization cuts all culture per turn in half. If your total culture per turn is 500, it will be 250 under mobilization.

Please bear with us. . .As Sirp said, this is a work in progress. This should be completed soon.

I am happy to see Sirp and Turner continuing this thread!

Good job :thumbsup:

WOW, what a great thread!

Thanx! nswered all my questions - but one: ;)

the uploads folder is not working if I see it right. Somehow, the images cannot be found ([img#]http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/fielaname.ext[/#img]
)
I found what I was doing wrong - the folder is now named uploads4

Please, fix that!

Take out the number sign, and try it again. We put 'garbage' characters in there so you can see the code, not what it does.

Turner, it is the wrong NUMBER, the folder is now named uploads4, not uploads2 or 3 as aboe! Please add a short note saying the user should check the number

I see what you're saying now.

I will leave it as is, but I will also add a note saying that we do increment the uploads folder every so often, as space demands.

Sorry for being dense there. . .it's been a long day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom