How to know who is Tech Leader?

GreatEng

Chieftain
Simple question, how can I check this?

Do I just have to pay attention to the lists that are sometimes created, like "World's most progressive people"?

Do I just check the demographics screen, which says your rank and overall best/average/worst?

Also is there a way to check which wonders have already been built, by whom, and in which city?

Demographics screen is the easiest way to see who the tech leader is -- look for the Literacy line. The first civ presented has researched the largest number of techs.

Note that does not mean that civ is currently producing the highest number of beakers -- just that it has researched the largest number of techs.

Also is there a way to check which wonders have already been built, by whom, and in which city?

And as for this, the Diplomacy screen shows all wonders and all social policies taken (note that simply opening a sp tree doesn't show up here) for each civ you've met. However you can't tell which city have which wonder unless you put spies in their cities or you look directly at the city models.

Note on the diplomatic screen that you'll have to have met the leader to know who he is; otherwise you'll get unknown civ.
The same screen will also show you who is most behind.

But a much more common question is wanting to know who is the most advanced AI when you as the human is naturally the one in first place.
For this you need BNW; head on over to trade route : available screen and start mousing over rows with science.

Is Babylon or Korea in your game? If yes, chances are great that they are the tech leader.

I just hover over the score and look who has the most points for "technology" and drop my spies there.

JMO. not sure if it is right.

Wonders is more difficult. You can either remember or got through the message log. Unless you got religion or a spy ;)

Not sure about in which city, but as soon as you meet AI you can check the wonders it has via diplomacy screen -> Global Politics. No need for vision of AI's city. You can also see AI's investment into social policies and figure out who can build wonders that require SP openers.

Is Babylon or Korea in your game? If yes, chances are great that they are the tech leader.

Babylon: Only when played by a human :( AI Babylon focuses too much on their UU & Walls of Babylon as opposed to libraries. And worse yet, it immediately bulbs the GS they get from writing. :cry:

Korea: In both Vanilla and G&K: This was the best AI for science. It's gotten somewhat confused by the new BNW features though :(

Demographics screen is the easiest way to see who the tech leader is -- look for the Literacy line. The first civ presented has researched the largest number of techs.

Are you sure ? I noted on some games, when NC, universities or public school, I became tech leader, but according to diplo screen I hadn't highest score on tech.
Also, a game on Immortal, I bulbed a GS and became tech leader. Two turns later, I fall 3th.

Depends on what you mean by tech leader.

Most techs researched? That's literacy.

First player to enter a new era? That's a result of beelining a tech in a new era.

Also send your spies over to steal techs, when they stop stealing them, you have caught up

Note that does not mean that civ is currently producing the highest number of beakers -- just that it has researched the largest number of techs.
That is useful information, and clears up a misconception which I had.

Another method is to use a mod, and InfoAddict really shines.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=391069

The score gives a rough estimate. Hovering over it will give a point score for "technology". Compare it to yours to see how many techs they've got.

As others have mentioned - wonders is easy. Go to Global Politics on the diplomacy screen and they are listed there along with the social policies adopted by the civs you know!

Is there a way to estimate how many beakers a civ producing at any time in both singleplayer and multiplayer games? (other than infoaddict mod)

The score gives a rough estimate. Hovering over it will give a point score for "technology". Compare it to yours to see how many techs they've got.

I was under the impression that the technology portion of the score was locked to zero until the player reaches future tech; after which points go up every time they get yet another future tech.

I've always won (or lost) all my games before reaching future tech in Civ V.

In BNW, you get score for both regular techs (4 points per tech) and future tech (10 points per):

- <Row Name="SCORE_TECH_MULTIPLIER">
<Value>4</Value>
</Row>
- <Row Name="SCORE_FUTURE_TECH_MULTIPLIER">
<Value>10</Value>
</Row>

In BNW, you get score for both regular techs (4 points per tech) and future tech (10 points per):

- <Row Name="SCORE_TECH_MULTIPLIER">
<Value>4</Value>
</Row>
- <Row Name="SCORE_FUTURE_TECH_MULTIPLIER">
<Value>10</Value>
</Row>

In that case, it appears that the score's non relevance to likelihood of victory could be easily fixed in a mod by increasing the score tech multiplier from 4 to 10.

Whatever values you use, score will still be a poor reflection of your prospects for victory, regardless of what VC you are pursuing -- and that includes time victory, since score can swing considerably with late game wars (more cities, more territory, more pop, more wonders).

Whatever values you use, score will still be a poor reflection of your prospects for victory, regardless of what VC you are pursuing -- and that includes time victory, since score can swing considerably with late game wars (more cities, more territory, more pop, more wonders).

You can also include the mod setting things that don't help at all (such as wonders & territory) to zero.

How to know which is tech leader?

When you discover that you are facing rifleman and artillery units while you try to defend with Xbows :p

I wil often take care of civs that are actually healthy compared to pure tech leaders. I'm not afraid about an OCC Babylon getting 10%+ in some turns compared to an helthy 5-6 cities with massive growth.

Top Bottom