Civ. 3 on the new intel Macs

Casper1984

Chieftain
does anyone know if anything can be done to get Civ. 3 to work on the new intel macs. After installation of the game i go to play it and the screen goes black even though there is still audio. As the title of this thread indicates I have just purchased a new intel Mac and would really like to play civ. 3 on my new computer. Thanks for any help.

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Which version of Civ3 are you trying to run? I don't have an Intelimac, but I'm pretty sure there are players around these parts who do, and who have played Aspyr's Civ3 Complete successfully on them, using the Rosetta emulation.

I've no idea whether the old MacSoft version is capable of running on Intel, and if it can't it's unlikely that MacSoft will fix it, as their franchise has expired.

Aspyr have a Universal Binary version of Civ3 Complete on their product launch pad for imminent release, so that should allow you to play it at native speed.

I am new so the box just says that it it Civ 3 Complete, There is no macsoft emblem anywhere like there is on AOK for Mac

C3C Mac runs perfectly on the new Intel Macs under Rosetta.

I'd suggest you hold Command as you start up C3C and check out the resolution it's set to. If it's inappropriate for your monitor, that could cause problems.

Sorry, What is rosetta i tried to seach it on the hard drive and I apparently do not have that program ( I am assuming that is what it is ). And thanks for the resolution tip, but that did not fix the problem.

I tried to download version 1.29 but that will not install (from an earlier post sometime back in feb)

The box should have "Aspyr" in the top right hand corner and look like this .

Rosetta is emulation software that's built into your Mac OS X system and should be trasparent. It translates any software written for the PowerPC CPU into Intel-speak so that your CPU can execute it. It does the translation on-the-fly. All you should see is a bit of a reduction in performance for such software until you can get the Intel-native version.

If you've installed it correctly, and checked the screen resolution, I suggest you contact Aspyr support if you are still unable to get the software running.

The version 1.29b2 patch for the original "Vanilla" Civ3 is not relevant for Civ3 Complete and shouldn't run. The versions of software you received on your Civ3 Complete DVD are the latest - version 1.22 of Conquests and version 1.27f of Play the World. There are no patches ... yet.

BTW I can't find your earlier post. I assume you used a different user name, since all four of your posts as Casper1984 are in this thread. [If so, please stick to one login when using these forums. Double login are not allowed.]

I am not the one who posted the version 1.29 download, I was just looking through different threads, trying to see if this same problem had been already disscused and solved.

AlanH,
Do you know of anyone who is running Civ. 3 complete on an intel Mac?

It may also be helpful to know that I have an intel Core solo not the Duo as is in many IMacs. ( Sorry I am an idiot)

Casper1984 said:
AlanH,
Do you know of anyone who is running Civ. 3 complete on an intel Mac?
Brad Oliver, the software engineer in charge of the development of Civ3 Complete at Aspyr, says it has been tested on Intel Macs and works. I think Beamup is speaking from personal experience when he says it works. If not I'm sure he can tell us he knows someone who has it working.

It may also be helpful to know that I have an intel Core solo not the Duo as is in many IMacs.
I very much doubt if that makes any difference, but maybe Brad will be along soon and able to confirm.

( Sorry I am an idiot)
Not on the evidence available to me :)

AlanH said:
Brad Oliver, the software engineer in charge of the development of Civ3 Complete at Aspyr, says it has been tested on Intel Macs and works. I think Beamup is speaking from personal experience when he says it works. If not I'm sure he can tell us he knows someone who has it working.

The version of C3C we shipped appears to run fine on all current Intel-based Macs. We are also in the final stages of testing a patch that will run native on the Intel Macs as well.

Ok, Great then it is most likely some kind of human error on my part. 1. is there a better way to go about installing C3C or should I be able to just click and drag the folder to my hard drive with no problem? 2. What are the chances that there is just something wrong with the disc? 3. Is there any "tricks" that I should be doing when installing?

Thanks, alot, to everybody that has posted on this thread.

1. Installation doesn't get much simpler, which is why I discounted installation error immediately. Yes. You drag the folder from the disk onto your hard drive. Doesn't matter where, as long as it's a location you have read/write access to when you are normally logged in. The simplest place to put it is the /Applications/ folder.

3. There are no tricks, other than the one Beamup mentioned to get the display options dialog up.

2. By a process of elimination, assuming you haven't messed with the installation at all, a corrupt disk may be a possibility, but as no one here recognises these symptoms, that's why I suggested contacting Aspyr tech support.

I contacted Aspyr before posting this thread and the information they gave me was that they were working on a patch to fix the problem that I had described above. But I was not sure and wanted to see if there was anyone else that has had similar problems.

Thanks again for all of your help

I just tried to play the game and for reasons that I do not understand the game works. I was able to play for about 45 min. There was no problems with the computer or the game it is like my computer solved the problem for me.

I really am thankful to everyone that posted on this thread, thanks again

I'm pleased to hear you are OK, finally, Casper. Software problems don't typically fix themselves. Very strange!

Top Bottom