Hearts of Iron (?)

Richard III

Duke of Gloucester
Anybody own/play this beast yet? I balked at Europa Universalis, but this one looks GUD!!!

Lemme know if you have a review.

R.III

Its really good, I find it far more complex then EU but the format is the same. The layout is very similar, but now instead of ducats that buy goods, you have a wider range of materials needed to produce weapons etc.

Ive played it at a friends house, it was fun. I dont know if I would buy it though.

I like HOI and have been playing it for 3 weeks now. Initially there were some issues with the game but since then there have been two patches and things have really shaped up. I still thing the AI is a little weak and not too coordinated when attacking the human.

My overall impression of the game is good but I wouldn't buy this game unless you're a WW2 or Europa Universalis fan.

Originally posted by Moff Jerjerrod
I like HOI and have been playing it for 3 weeks now. Initially there were some issues with the game but since then there have been two patches and things have really shaped up. I still thing the AI is a little weak and not too coordinated when attacking the human.

My overall impression of the game is good but I wouldn't buy this game unless you're a WW2 or Europa Universalis fan.

The main attraction for me is the opportunity to play smaller countries in the era, e.g. Argentina, Austria, Finland, etc.

How is it from that perspective?

Originally posted by Richard III

The main attraction for me is the opportunity to play smaller countries in the era, e.g. Argentina, Austria, Finland, etc.

How is it from that perspective?

Sorry I haven't tried playing as a minor country yet. Rest assured though you can play any country you want to that was in existance back in WW2. Based on what I've seen happen to a lot of the minor countries, playing as say Belgium is very very hard even on the easy difficultly level. If you get this game try playing first as one of the major powers to get a feel for the game. Then move on to playing a minor.

I like this game. The first time I played it, I got a very bad impression, and I almost put it away, thinking it was terrible. It does have a pretty long learning curve, and I don't reccomend it unless you like strategy games. However, once you get the hang of the controls and interface, it is very good. Very in-depth too. The 'small-country' thing CAN be fun: I tried it, and I think I'm going to see how far I can get with some obscure South American country. The key to trying to get far with a small country is to try to choose one that wouldn't fall in Germany's warpath: like Poland or Belgium for instance. If you choose an Asian or a South American country, you have a much better shot at getting far. Its also pretty fun to be countries that lose in the short run, like France. I got pretty far as them: I used my troops from the Maginot line to push deep into Germany (pretty close to Berlin) before it all collapsed. I got pretty far though...:)

CG

Don't feint! Ever! It took me a while to figure this out...:p

Where can I find a demo for this awesome-looking game!

Top Bottom