Why Does This Still Happen?

zarakand

Prince
It's been a few months since I played CiV and I've been enjoying a game until I noticed that my neighbor Egypt has't improved most of their land.

Egypt's never had a war, and there isn't any reason why their land shouldn't be improved by a worker at this point. I know it's just a game, but this type of stuff really ruins the fun for me.

How come the AI still isn't improving their land? Is this common?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-07-28 09.39.30.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-07-28 09.39.30.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 364
Depends on the flavor of the Civ. Some focus heavily on improving tiles while others don't at all.

u don't see the land in the fog, maybe its improved. but on low difficulty the ai does not improve it very fast for sure.

The low difficulty could cause the ai to act this way. Ais in higher difficulties are more spoiled and have more resources units and workers. Ais in lower difficulties also steal from you more often than ais in higher difficulties.

Fair enough...it's on emperor so I guess the AI doesn't need to improve the gold for happiness. It's a bit aggravating though.

The low difficulty could cause the ai to act this way. Ais in higher difficulties are more spoiled and have more resources units and workers. Ais in lower difficulties also steal from you more often than ais in higher difficulties.

That kind of grinds my gears the way that they do that. I'd like to see them design the game so that you have the same resources and in game functionality and equations as all other AI competitors regardless of difficulty, but that tactics and AI quality got more advanced and hard to beat as the levels increased.

When it comes to improving luxury resources (and the duplicate luxuries) I don't see any difference between say Prince and Emperor levels. This is extremely annoying as every civ is eager to make an offer when I have extras to trade but they lollygag about in developing their own surplus so that we can one-for-one trade. Yeah, trading for gold (or sometimes non-lux resources) is good and all but I generally have an easier time keeping in gold than I do keeping in happiness.

I could see how it might differ in terms of the Civ/Leader proclivities but it seems that none of them value rapidly developing their resources.

Higher difficulty ais have more to offer and more you could steal from.

Mostly what you have in vision there is desert. Improving a tile which yields nothing is not that beneficial and the AI does not make it a priority. The gold on a hill however, that should have been improved in the first 30 turns.

Egypt has a very high wonder flavor and a low worker flavor. In BNW, unless Egypt opened Liberty it can't build Pyramids to get a couple of workers.

On Emperor the AI should now to improve their land at least to a moderate extend - I play Emperor, and I don't have these problems. Which mods do you use, can any of those interfer with AI behaviour?

On Emperor the AI should now to improve their land at least to a moderate extend - I play Emperor, and I don't have these problems. Which mods do you use, can any of those interfer with AI behaviour?

I see this all the time with Askia on Emperor as well. It isn't a mod conflict, just that the AI isn't smart enough to prioritize trading each other for gold, as they already are well in the green with happiness. This to me though, does kill a lot of the immersion. It's like, OK this is what I am up against.....I've even seen this on Immortal once with Dido on turn 70 or so.

I don't really see this, but even if it does happen, one thing is turn 70, but the screenshot is turn 199? And we're not talking some periphere sattelite city of a super-wide civ, we're talking capital of a civ who's obviously going tall in this case.

Improving the AI re: tile improvements isn't that difficult.

I don't really see this, but even if it does happen, one thing is turn 70, but the screenshot is turn 199? And we're not talking some periphere sattelite city of a super-wide civ, we're talking capital of a civ who's obviously going tall in this case.
More likely the AI broke down due to some previous circumstances (lost workers, lost settlers, missed wonders...).

The mods I'm using are: Infoaddict, City Limits, and the 3 Communitas mods.

It's possible that they're causing the AI to behave differently and not improve the gold resource? What's strange is that the other AI players like Napoleon have improved their lands. I guess as fallout3dc said, it's not a big deal other than it kills immersion.

Just as an update had a chance to play a few turns this morning and got open borders with Egypt. Here's a slightly better look at their capital.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-07-29 08.43.48.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-07-29 08.43.48.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 75
Top Bottom