Wamonger civs: best allies?

TheologiaCrucis

Warlord
Has anyone else noticed that some of the 'aggressive' civs will often make the best allies?

In several games I've played, Genghis has been a solid ally. Even Attila can make a good ally, once you reach the point where his rams are ineffectual.

The warmonger civs tend to respect strength. They also tend not to hold it against you if you go to war with them. After beating Atilla in an early war and signing peace treaty, he immediately offered friendship and a cooperative war against another civ.

I felt this was true even back in civ4.

As long as you're more powerful than the warmonger they'll be fantastic allies, often because you're one of few civilizations that actually want something to do with them and a fight against you would make them alone in the world which isn't that fun. :D

I think Egypt is the same way. I played with random personalities enabled though, so that might be the reason.

I had a game where I was going for culture victory, I had built up a pretty nice Civilization and I decided to take a small part of the other continent to take advantage of its strategic resources. Unfortunately this was right next to a Zulu and I had not developed a military over there. I thought that everything was fine because we were good friends, until he staged a surprise attack. I had to bring all of my units across the ocean to fight him, we ended up stalemating, but it left me vulnerable to be taken over on my main continent. I eventually abandoned the game. Those Impi units are really hard to handle. The ranged and melee attack in one is pretty powerful early on.

Most warmongers are very deceptive. They make the "best allies" simply because you are militarily stronger than them, so they have to keep a friendly poker face as long as you don't piss them off and they are not sure they can crush you.

Most will backstab you if they are stronger, Shaka however, is very loyal and will (usually) only attack a friend if they are the last civ before he wins a domination victory

I don't remember anyone being a loyal ally to me really. I often had to do most of the work while the ally would side line and wait. I have had allies before and have been doing good in multiplayer. There are good players in multiplayer.

And then the worst betrayers seem to be so-called 'diplomatic' civs...Dido, Ramhamkhaeng, Alexander, and Gustav will backstab you every time.

on other hand they are easiest to bribe into war, I believe.

I've actually never tried real hard to bribe another civ into war. Every time I've tried they aren't willing to negotiate the proposal.

I will try bribing one of the diplo Civ sometime when they are feeling friendly.

no:

1. They never seem to have any money

2. They never improve their luxs for whatever reason in my games (even on immortal)

3. They always declare some useless war, that causes everyone to hate them and everyone allied with them

4. They never have the level of research of the other civs for research agreements

they are very trustworthy I've noticed, but that is useless now in this "improved diplomacy" BNW dlc.

Im currently playing a good game with "Ash" of Assyria. He only recently denounced me in 2028. But from the beginning of time we've been loyal friends and trading partners. I am the Maya and I would join him in wars against Babylon and they'd always fight to a stalemate. So he never had time to focus on me. We even stayed allies when I chose freedom and he chose order. It could be that we both had beef with the autocracy block. He finally denounced me when DOWed Russia, the other order Civ so it was completely understandable. I still fill there's a mutual respect underneath the politics

I had a great relationship with Mongolia as my neighbor one time. He had a ton of resources and everyone else hated him so theyall went to me. :)

some of them will also keep attacking really valuable CS's again again again like complete idiots. for no other reason than I DUNNO :scan:

I'm allied with a warmonger if I'm going in a domination or mix-domination victory. Ideally, he's on the other side of the map or at an annoying place to conquer, with low culture outcome. He's a precious help for trade, caravans, cargo ships, gifting cities to avoid unhappiness.

Mongolia is usually trustworthy, but because they tend to attack city-states a lot, they always get lots of hate, and you end up getting some of it by being their ally.

Most of them are pretty trustworthy. You'll KNOW it when they want to attack. The major exception is Atilla, who is very deceptive. Shaka, Monty and Genghis, however, are easy to trust, but they do tend to end up being pariahs of the world.

I befriended Assyria the other day, and he sent many stinking units through my open borders that I couldn't connect my railroad.

Top Bottom