Civ 5 Linux, can my old system handle it?

strider3700

Chieftain
I'm wanting to play Civ V on my linux box running mint 17.1
It's an AMD 900e quadcore with 8gigs of ram and a SSD. That part should be good enough according to the specs.

It's got a GT 220 for a video card. on windows the specs say I should get away with that but the linux specs are different on steam. There it lists a Geforce 640M or a Radeon HD 6450 which I believe are better then my card.

What I can't tell is if that's the recommended or the minumum values. Normally I'd just install the demo and find out for sure but there doesn't appear to be a demo for the linux install.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the linux version and can let me know if I'm SOL until getting a better card/machine?

While I don't have an NVidia card, I do run Civ 5 in linux with a Phenom II 940 with 4GB of RAM and an SSD. I have played many games on standard maps and they work well. I can tell you that it does get pretty slow to take turns later in the game on a large map. I have also had it crash out later in the game on Huge maps. I don't know if your extra RAM will help, since I think Civ 5 cannot use more than 4GB.

As far as video, I have a Radeon 5770, and run the Gallium3d drivers on Debian Jessie. I experience some graphical glitches and slowness, which might affect my perceptions as well. In the past I have run the proprietary drivers, and they were faster and more reliable. I expect your video drivers are more capable than mine, but you will probably still need to turn your video settings way down.

Top Bottom