Chronicles of Adea - fantasy mod development thread

The problem is that we're going to use this mechanic for the Undead (a simple version - just getting faith [renamed to mana] for kills, with the ability to buy undead units for it).

Generally I think the random demonic promotions are enough as the "big" part of the trait, at least for the alpha stage of the mod, the other parts can be just some simple bonuses (and penalties), like the ones other civs get.

Makes sense, more so for the undead really.

You're welcome :)

Cool. Just as a couple of guidelines so I don't tread on anyone's toes:

• 1) Is there anything in particular that needs working on first (i.e. might be useful in the alpha) such as leaders/units etc?
  • 2) Is there anything that I shouldn't touch or any sort of basic framework to expand on? I'm happy to be creative but I would rather be placed in the box of what is wanted and established and left to play around rather than go off on a tangent away from the current design idea. So if there's anything more detailed on a particular view or how something wants to be developed then I'll happily follow it.
  • 3) For a history are you thinking that there is already history for the world or not? Obviously the base game would start from the beginning but if, in the non-foreseeable future, a scenario was to be created with a world map etc, rather than random, would we want background for the world, a timeline since creation etc (not ending of course more just going into the background.)

For example it could be that, in the quest to bring back a pre-cataclysm nation the Archon's created the undead. In their arrogance they discarded the project. Thus the undead came about and this leads to their rise to power as a civilisation. That way it makes it more immersive, not only in lore but also in things to place in the civpedia, without affecting the idea of a random map.

1) The highest priority parts of the lore are those that directly affect the gameplay - ideas that lead to adding new unique units, buildings (there should be much more of them than just 2 per civ, like in normal game), special technologies that only some races have access to, and so on. You can also suggest changes to the civ traits I listed.

About the leaders: feel free to suggest new names for them and even change their gender, most names I used so far come from Age of Wonders, so more original ideas are welcome.

2) (This is my personal opinion, and it's possible that some team members will disagree with it.) The thing that is important for me here is the general "feel" of the game. I don't like "dark fantasy". I think the light and dark sides of a fantasy story are equally important, the dark side shouldn't dominate, and create a depressing, horror-like setting (and vice versa, it shouldn't be like a fairy tale for children). So I think it should be more like "high fantasy", a climate similar to Tolkien's books, and games like Age of Wonders. It can also contain some humorous elements. And generally the vision of the races should be rather stereotypical - I mean this as a "generic" fantasy mod, so I think it's better not to invent anything very "unorthodox", like the Goblin Angels from AoW3 (if you don't know what I mean, see the note at the end of this post). It doesn't mean that you shouldn't be creative - if you have ideas that weren't used in a fantasy setting so far, but you think they don't go against the spirit of the races, you're welcome to propose them.

3) I have only a general idea about the history of the world. It doesn't go into such details as how specific races were created, so your idea about the Archons and Undead is plausible. My vision of the "canonical version" of the history of Adea is as follows:

• In the initial phase, the races slowly expand their territories, and, due to vast wild areas between them, don't interact much with each other.
  • Later, local conflicts arise, with frequently changing allies and enemies.
  • In the next phase, the civs create more stable alliances based on 3 alignments: Good (Elves, Dwarves, Halflings etc.), Neutral (with the dominating role of Archons, Dreamers, Griffites and Azracs), and Evil (with Orcs as the main fighting force). (I have some ideas how to represent the alignments in the game in a way that doesn't make them predetermined from the start of the game, but due to some reasons I can't reveal them now).
  • The forces of evil start a big war against the good and neutral races. After some initial success, the tides turn, and they begin to lose ground.
  • The main leaders of neutral races, affected by the power of the Five Rings that they acquired when fighting the Orcs (yes, it's a reference to the Tolkienian Rings of Power, I always thought that if there is One, Three, Seven and Nine, there also should be Five), decide to switch sides, and ally with the evil races against the good ones. Massive propaganda convinces most of the population of these races to follow their leaders. Only the Griffites remain at the good side.
  • The good races, unprepared for the attack from their new enemy's side, suffer heavy losses and lose the war. The last survivors from these races are rescued by the Gods and moved to the Promised Lands - the new planets where they will live from now on. All the planets are more or less ready to live there, so some members of the neutral and evil races are moved to their planets around this time as well.
  • From this point Adea is ruled by one big Empire, created from elements of the Dreamers, Azracs, and the Archon empire, which is very small at that time, and plays rather a symbolical role by blessing the marriage of the leaders of Dreamers and Azracs, which leads to the unification of these races. Orcs and other evil beings are subjects of the Empire, and are used to impose order in case of rebellions and uprisings.

Btw, do you want to officially join the team? I can also give you write access to the GitHub repository, so you can edit the game texts (or anything else) yourself.

Side note: Age of Wonders 3 was announced a few days ago (projected release date is Fall 2013), I think the information about it revealed so far sounds very promising, if you're interested check the website (and the forum there): http://www.ageofwonders.com/aow3live/

I guess my only question would be, shouldn't the Archons be a good civ?

Also, a possible writer! Awesome!

I guess my only question would be, shouldn't the Archons be a good civ?

You're right, they are good, but they aren't a part of the alliance with other good races. They see their role in the world as being some kind of "spiritual guides" for the Human-like races, and, together with them, restore the former empire. It's a similar situation as in AoW1, where they (called Highmen in that game) are "Pure Good" but have good relations with the Humans.

But anyway, it's only an "official version" of the history, in the game you'll be able to be good or neutral (I think evil will be blocked for this civ), and ally with anyone you like to.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Btw, do you want to officially join the team? I can also give you write access to the GitHub repository, so you can edit the game texts (or anything else) yourself.

Yeah sure, although I won't touch anything for a while as I've only recently starting playing around with Civ V mods.

Only dropping in quickly but I've had some thoughts. I'll throw a couple down below:

For the Snobar:

For a Unique Improvement maying something like a 'Seal Farm'. It could provide less food than a normal farm (unless Civ V only provides one. I often get Civ III and Civ V farms mixed up) but provide an extra production/gold, to represent them using/selling the seal blubber etc.

As for Unique units - my primary thought were Yeti's. It sticks with the snowy theme and adds a bit of fantasy in there.

Depending on uni graphics Mammoth Riders could replace horseman or something similar, picture below.
Spoiler :

I'm brainstorming more, but was just passing through so thought I would drop the more prominent ideas.

Welcome to the team! If you want to have access to the GitHub repository, I need your GitHub username.

Btw, due to my work the mod development from my side will be slow in the coming months, but I hope to get some support from the team :)

For a Unique Improvement maying something like a 'Seal Farm'. It could provide less food than a normal farm (unless Civ V only provides one. I often get Civ III and Civ V farms mixed up) but provide an extra production/gold, to represent them using/selling the seal blubber etc.

I like this idea, although seals are sea animals, so I suppose it should be buildable only on the coast...

(In this mod a Farm gives +2 food initially, and you get modifiers from some civs, techs and policies.)

As for Unique units - my primary thought were Yeti's. It sticks with the snowy theme and adds a bit of fantasy in there.

Depending on uni graphics Mammoth Riders could replace horseman or something similar, picture below.

These are good ideas, actually they are used for the Frostlings race in my favorite game series - Age of Wonders (did I mention that AoW3 is coming? ;)), and I think they fit the Snobar race as well. For the Mammoth, we can try to recolor an elephant unit, a good model for the Yeti may be harder to get.

Welcome to the team! If you want to have access to the GitHub repository, I need your GitHub username.

Btw, due to my work the mod development from my side will be slow in the coming months, but I hope to get some support from the team :)

School's getting pretty heavy for me too; so, you're not the only one who is getting busy. Nonetheless, I'm going to try and get those dang policies done soon.

These are good ideas, actually they are used for the Frostlings race in my favorite game series - Age of Wonders (did I mention that AoW3 is coming? ;)), and I think they fit the Snobar race as well. For the Mammoth, we can try to recolor an elephant unit, a good model for the Yeti may be harder to get.
What if we re-colored a gorilla unit? I think that we might have to cannibalize one from FFHII, but if we re-colored a gorilla and maybe gave it teeth, that might work.

Yes, a recolored gorilla should be good as Yeti. And generally we need more animals, we only have the Wolf now.

So I thought I'd just create on post for information/background on leaders for comments etc. I'll post whenever I update so it can be viewed again.

Egil Irontusk [Snobar]

Spoiler :

Art: If any in particular are liked then I could e-mail the artist and request for the use of art, with full credit given of course.

Main Background:Born during the clutches of a snowstorm, Egil’s birth was auspicious from the start. The Snobar believe a snowstorm is an omen of great events to come, for good or ill.

Son to the chieftain of the Irontusk clan Egil was born into the status equivalent to a prince in the greener lands but this meant little within the clutches of the Shattered Isles. From the age of five he was taught to hunt, to sail and to fight. Living within the shadow of his father, Bjorn Irontusk, Egil sought to live up to his birth. At the age of nine he led a raiding party himself, taking back plunder and riches. Within three years he held command of a small fleet of Drakkar, becoming a name to be feared along the surrounding isles, both from other nations and Snobar clans.

However it was at the age of fourteen that the true signs of potential shone through. His father was killed during a raid of the Sabrebeast clan, killed during single combat. As per traditional the title of clan leader was not simply passed to Egil. Instead every clan member, regardless of status or renown is allowed to put their name forward and participate within the ‘Holrustala’, literally meaning ‘Trail by Blades’.

Each challenger puts forward their claim, with those deemed to have the best claim most prominent and always fighting first. Under the eyes of God’s and men, a challenger must hold his own against every clanmate who believes they are no worthy to hold the position of Chieftain. The Snobar believe that only the defeat and, more often than not, death of all challengers shows the God’s favour and the aspiring clanmate’s right to rule.

Without hesitation Egil submitted he name, despite his young age and relative lack of experience. Seventeen challengers strode forth that day, to take their place against him. Despite taking several wounds throughout the Trial each was cast down by Egil’s sword. Not one could stand before him and as dusk settled upon the Trial the clan knelt, accepting Egil Irontusk as the rightful ruler.

Within days Egil set out to avenge his father, putting the Sabrebeast clan to the torch. But he was not to stop there. From isle to isle his warriors travelled taking word of Egil’s plan. He sought to unite the Snobar under one rule. Those who resisted were brought to battle and defeated; although in his wisdom Egil never repeated his actions of destruction again, accepting clan’s surrender when offered.

Within five year nearly all the clans has been gathered under the rule of the Irontusk clan. Though their heritage, names and customs belonged to themselves each clan ultimately were commanded by Egil and his warriors. Each clan leader to accept his leadership was made a general, afforded a position of respect within the new Snobar hierarchy.

Ten years passed from Egil’s conquest, ten years of peace and stability. Thought feuds between clans occasionally reared their heads the union of the clans was never broken. Now, with his realm secured and the shattered isles under his control, Egil turn’s his gaze to the outside world, ready to explore further and embrace new riches and wonders.

Loading Screen:Velkommen Egil, chosen of the Gods, Leader of the Snobar Clans. Your auspicious birth, born within the ravages of a snowstorm, was an omen of the greatness to come. Able to hold sail on a raid from the age of seven, young even by the standards of the Snobar, by the age of twelve you had become a terror of the coast, dubbed the ‘Snow Devil’ by those who feared your gaze.

When your father was killed you took up his mantle, fending off all challengers to ascend to your rightful place of Chieftain of the Irontusk Clan. Despite your tender age you passed through the Trial of Blade victorious, emerging the other side a leader. You took fire and iron to the Sabrebeast clan, taking revenge for the killing of your sire.

From there you united the Snobar Clans under one rule, overcoming obstacles and opposition to place them under one rule. It is you who oversaw the building of the Glittering Caves, now the heart of your new nation.

Oh Mighty Egil you stand upon the cusp of greatness, ready to explore the world and expand your empire further. Go forth, Leader of the Snobar, and lay claim to the riches of the world.

So I thought I'd just create on post for information/background on leaders for comments etc. I'll post whenever I update so it can be viewed again.

Egil Irontusk [Snobar]

Spoiler :

Art: If any in particular are liked then I could e-mail the artist and request for the use of art, with full credit given of course.

Main Background:Born during the clutches of a snowstorm, Egil’s birth was auspicious from the start. The Snobar believe a snowstorm is an omen of great events to come, for good or ill.

Son to the chieftain of the Irontusk clan Egil was born into the status equivalent to a prince in the greener lands but this meant little within the clutches of the Shattered Isles. From the age of five he was taught to hunt, to sail and to fight. Living within the shadow of his father, Bjorn Irontusk, Egil sought to live up to his birth. At the age of nine he led a raiding party himself, taking back plunder and riches. Within three years he held command of a small fleet of Drakkar, becoming a name to be feared along the surrounding isles, both from other nations and Snobar clans.

However it was at the age of fourteen that the true signs of potential shone through. His father was killed during a raid of the Sabrebeast clan, killed during single combat. As per traditional the title of clan leader was not simply passed to Egil. Instead every clan member, regardless of status or renown is allowed to put their name forward and participate within the ‘Holrustala’, literally meaning ‘Trail by Blades’.

Each challenger puts forward their claim, with those deemed to have the best claim most prominent and always fighting first. Under the eyes of God’s and men, a challenger must hold his own against every clanmate who believes they are no worthy to hold the position of Chieftain. The Snobar believe that only the defeat and, more often than not, death of all challengers shows the God’s favour and the aspiring clanmate’s right to rule.

Without hesitation Egil submitted he name, despite his young age and relative lack of experience. Seventeen challengers strode forth that day, to take their place against him. Despite taking several wounds throughout the Trial each was cast down by Egil’s sword. Not one could stand before him and as dusk settled upon the Trial the clan knelt, accepting Egil Irontusk as the rightful ruler.

Within days Egil set out to avenge his father, putting the Sabrebeast clan to the torch. But he was not to stop there. From isle to isle his warriors travelled taking word of Egil’s plan. He sought to unite the Snobar under one rule. Those who resisted were brought to battle and defeated; although in his wisdom Egil never repeated his actions of destruction again, accepting clan’s surrender when offered.

Within five year nearly all the clans has been gathered under the rule of the Irontusk clan. Though their heritage, names and customs belonged to themselves each clan ultimately were commanded by Egil and his warriors. Each clan leader to accept his leadership was made a general, afforded a position of respect within the new Snobar hierarchy.

Ten years passed from Egil’s conquest, ten years of peace and stability. Thought feuds between clans occasionally reared their heads the union of the clans was never broken. Now, with his realm secured and the shattered isles under his control, Egil turn’s his gaze to the outside world, ready to explore further and embrace new riches and wonders.

Loading Screen:Velkommen Egil, chosen of the Gods, Leader of the Snobar Clans. Your auspicious birth, born within the ravages of a snowstorm, was an omen of the greatness to come. Able to hold sail on a raid from the age of seven, young even by the standards of the Snobar, by the age of twelve you had become a terror of the coast, dubbed the ‘Snow Devil’ by those who feared your gaze.

When your father was killed you took up his mantle, fending off all challengers to ascend to your rightful place of Chieftain of the Irontusk Clan. Despite your tender age you passed through the Trial of Blade victorious, emerging the other side a leader. You took fire and iron to the Sabrebeast clan, taking revenge for the killing of your sire.

From there you united the Snobar Clans under one rule, overcoming obstacles and opposition to place them under one rule. It is you who oversaw the building of the Glittering Caves, now the heart of your new nation.

Oh Mighty Egil you stand upon the cusp of greatness, ready to explore the world and expand your empire further. Go forth, Leader of the Snobar, and lay claim to the riches of the world.
That's awesome! A few minor typos, but no big deal. Well done, I say.

So...um, how's it looking, guys?

I'm slowly working on promotions and other related things, you can expect an update at GitHub soon.

I'm still writing but between labs, essays, coursework and lectures not a lot of time at the moment. I'm going to set some time aside for some writing at some point this weekend.

School's getting pretty heavy for me too; so, you're not the only one who is getting busy. Nonetheless, I'm going to try and get those dang policies done soon.

What if we re-colored a gorilla unit? I think that we might have to cannibalize one from FFHII, but if we re-colored a gorilla and maybe gave it teeth, that might work.

I'm still here as well, just taking advantage of everyone else being busy to have free time and a social life. Then, of course, I get sick (I didn't know I could get sick!)

Anyone know what happened to trystero49? Wasn't he working on Civs?

Also, what happened to maghzi? Wasn't he doing graphics?

Ok so post number two of keeping stuff together. I'll use this one for posting any information on the Civilisations and other unit ideas/unit backgrounds.

Anyone I was thinking and I'll throw up some unit ideas as of now:

Archons:​

Units

Spoiler :
Sticking with the general proposed theme I'm thinking along the lines of a largely foot solider army; spearmen (hoplites), Legions etc. with some added mystic things added in, sticking to the whole faith idea. I like the idea of a structured, professional army combined with elements that just stand out and represent their beliefs. Anyway:

• Phalanx [potential name change?]: Basically hoplites, so spearmen. Nothing much to say really.
  • Legion:I realise this is very Rome-y but I like the idea that it simply leaves it open to their foes calling them "The Legions". Basically swordsmen forming a sword phalanx. I would image these, alongside the Phalanx, forming the main backbone of the army. Effectively to their foes unnamed; a wall of spears, shields and swords matching to kill them.
  • Defenders :More a civilian unit that forms a part of the army. I had an idea like this for a couple of Civs (The Dreamers would get a healing sprite). In this case I can image it being a military crusader. It represents a powerful figure/s that marches with the Legions, reinforcing their faith in their actions. Would work sort of like a great general but less powerful. Either confers a combat bonus or maybe a movement?
  • The Entombed:Again, name made up on the fly so only a 'draft' name. Considering their focus on pre-cataclysm races I was thinking this unit could represent their success, if only a slight one. Representing certain individuals of past civilisations, as well as great being from the Archon past, they have their spirits entombed within a specially crafted suit of armour. Supporting the troops, acting as guards, these silent giants (hey makes it more fun if they bring back the dead but can't talk to them) serve as a reminder that the Gods are with the Archons (or that's what they think anyway). For this we could potentially use reskinned space marines (potentially the Chaos ones if they have no guns) to represent stone/gray metal.

Double Post.

Thought, while I'm at it, I should post the general plan I have for writing incase anything needs to be altered or switched around.

Thus, in order, general aim of what to get written out.

1. Background of the leaders, both for Civpedia and starting screens. This seems one of the two most important to be honest. [Alpha]
  2. Units: Less so on the actual backgrounds/CivPedia parts but more to bring up a framework of what the Civs are like and obviously provide units for the Civs. Alpha-wise I believe that testing the units is better than having them fully written for it. [Alpha]
  3. Wonders - Both Natural and Normal. [Alpha]
  4. The Civ background and culture etc. This not only gives a more focussed view of what to write on, allows expanding on units but also add a bit more immersion. I also have hand draw maps of the world (or some of them. I also realise there might be maps already but I just got carried away having fun drawing. No harm is there is no need for them :)) to help a bit, hence why placenames are in some Leaders names but not explained. [Alpha/Post-Alpha]
    • Relgions
    • Attitudes - I.e. Aggressive etc.
  5. More Indepth Civ background. This is more to fill out various game-mechanics that might be included and other things. Largely this will be padding the lore around the mod rather than having a direct influence. Heck some of it might not be needed in the actually CivPedia but more to add something more immersive. [Post Alpha/Post-Everything else]

I swear I had more but I can't think of it now that I try so anything that needs to be added let me know. Bascially the primary aim is to get Leaders out of the way, followed by unit information. Pad it out with some wonder's, both natural and building should give everything needed for Alpha I reckon. Then I'll add Civ information/History etc. alongside some basic lore that is important for the game but not incredibly important for Alpha testing.

Once that's done I plan mostly just to tinker here and there adding things, expanding the CivPedia and other such things, mostly just for completion.

Question: How is Tech being handled in this? Is it going to be a literal progression of technology or more just a show of how time has progressed and how tactics change etc.? Personally I prefer the idea that, yes, new methods of warfare change but it isn't quite as big a deal as, say, one person having riflemen and the other pikemen.

This also fits in with the idea that certain unqiue units are kept but more upgraded in strength over time i.e. The Griffites would keep their Knights but new armour/skills would change their strength in game. But that's more of a consistency thing really.

I guess my only thing is that religion shouldn't be a static thing. Like, in FfH2, you had certain religions that a civ was more likely to adopt (though way too many civs favored Kilmorph or Fellowship of Leaves, imho), but religion could change based upon a couple of factors. Basically, good civs will be unlikely to convert to "evil religions", and evil civs will be unlikely to convert to "good religions". Most civs won't have a huge issue adopting a "neutral religion". Some civs, like the Demon Cultists or the Archons, will of course be less likely to convert to a neutral religion, because they favor a certain ideology which neutral religions don't really fit. Nonetheless, for most civs, religion will be something that could change over the course of the game.

Top Bottom