Austria and city states Immortal challenge

TLHeart

King
If you choose to accept this challenge, Here is a pangaea map, standard size, ancient era start, 3 billion world age, sea level is high, standard resources, standard pace.

As Maria Theresa, you may marry a city state after 5 turns of being allied, and have enough gold... with no diplomatic penalty, and no resistance.

The catch, there are 8 civs, including you, and 24 city states, 8 more than standard...

Makes land sparse to settle, and there will be competition for those city states by the other civilizations.

If you accept the challenge, what victory condition will you try for? Will the game play out as you expect, or will it be a challenge due to the extra city states?

here is where you start, nothing spectacular about it...

Spoiler :

and for the save,

Attachments

• Maria Theresa_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    511.2 KB · Views: 51
I'm still waiting for a new deity challenge.
So I might as well play this one and roll over the relatively pathetic immortal AI.

The challenge itself is not the amount of land... (it's immortal not deity so it's easy to get the land you want); it's the lack of food in general; the starting screenshot is misleading... a huge portion of it is just desert!

Spoiler :

After picking up a map ruins, first thing I thought... wow... the OP intentionally picked a douche map :lol: had to relocate my settler.

Spoiler :

Here. At least we have bananas and river, not to mention Mt. Kailash.

Spoiler :

Over 90 or so turns stole 2 settlers, 4 workers, a caravan, and pillaged all of Gandhi's tiles for gold! In the meantime got ToA, HG, Oracle, Hagia Sophia, etc. etc. bought all my settlers without the capitol wasting any wonderwhoring time.

Spoiler :

Went for 3 self-founded cities. UA is useless as the desert terrain means the neighboring CS are worthless and will never grow. India is now my friend for life, and he is so nice to me now, as is Viking guy (he actually sent me a caravan and asked for DoF in the early stages... I helped him out when he asked for some money, and we were BFF all game. Germany also a friend... only one not friendly is Alex who is somewhat jealous of my CS and wonders.

Spoiler :

Long story short... you know the usual... dicked around a bit too much (went up and down the tech tree, not beelining science techs so much because I'm so ahead of AI... ended up not buying GMs/building music guild until 5 turns from finish, not bulbing but planting because of greediness wanting +2 culture etc. etc.)

Too easy... :lol: bring my deity challenges!

I would be tempted to settle on flat land for the Coffee house, but I guess that would be too much of a tight fit between Panama City and Denmark.

I would be tempted to settle on flat land for the Coffee house, but I guess that would be too much of a tight fit between Panama City and Denmark.

coffee house as far as I know has no terrain restriction (was able to build it in my game), and Austria does have a hill bias. I think it's intended by the devs. That's probably the only time I would build a windmill as normally they suck until your capitol needs a slot to work because it grew too big.

Turns 1-116
Spoiler :
I was waiting for the Zulu challenge myself and figured if KB played this one, what the heck I will too! Once again since it is Immortal and I still don't play or know how Immortal AI reacts I decided to go Liberty again. Also heck look at all that desert I must be able to get Petra and DF again right! Thats right I got DF late, damn AI had me up to needing 35 faith for a Panth. I got Petra up at t94 (hard build).

Ok so let's see I decided to settle on the wine and go from there. Scout, Monument ofcourse since Liberty. Oh gee look 2 cult CS's again on Immortal and heck one Food CS, all 3 right next to the Capital. Too make matters even better 2 barb camps right beside these 3 CS's. I insta Dowed Kyzyl in hopes of getting some workers. They built warrior first and too many hills to get that worker so had to give them peace. Hey look it's the Vikings only 8 hexes away from my Cap. Too many units to get a worker from there. I decided to cease scouting since I knew it was going to be a CB rush. I came back to block any settlers that might come out and try to settle on the gems near Mt Kailash but for some reason they were playing OCC. Geeesh Mt. Kailash in this game and El Dorado in Russia Immortal Challenge? What is going on? I usually play Deity and it has been that way since I bought the game when it came out. I hardly get these starts with Nat Wonders so close and that has been 100s of games. Anyway back to the game. I wanted to rush Currency but I delayed to go to Const first. I delayed even more to BW and Cal. 12 Iron in the neighborhood geesh this is sick! I built archer,archer archer.. etc. I really went overboard since Im not used to this level. I had 8CBs, 3 Spears, 2 War. Anyway the Vikings didn't have many units and I rolled them pretty fast. They loved it and thanked me for it lol. I seen India but didn't meet them since I didn't want warmonger hate. I met them once my gpt got dangerously low. I traded up with them a bit to help the cause. After that I moved my army over to India's 3rd expo on a plains tile with like 12 defense. Im so used to Deity where they have tons of Elephants by now and I was a bit slow but razed that city and onto the Cap. I worker baited a few turns and killed his army. He wanted to give me peace for all he had but I said NO. I took Delhi and onto Mumbai. One thing I learned in this game is when you break a promise not to Dow even though you never met another civ that warmonger hate of break your promise still shows up. I met Attila and got his embassy. He is pretty far across the other side of the map so no worries of him. Traded up with him a bit and met Germany as I was taking Mumbai. Germany's Cap is a hike but Im 3rd in army and I think I can take him. Im not sure if I need to upgrade to XBs for that or not. Taking a little break now but Ill finish up later and post the results and after that onto the Zulu Deity Challenge #1. By the way I used the Liberty finisher for GE to get the NC at turn 107.

Turns 117-153

Spoiler :
Ok so after some coffee I jumped back in this game. I did a barb quest and paid Jerusalem to be my ally, and I scouted out Germany a bit. They seemed to have a good number of troops and it wasn't long before they were number 1 in army. They had pikes and swords while I still had Spears so I thought Id wait for Xbows to Dow. I brought all my troops down to Copenhagen, grabbed some land with a GG and started to build up a front. I upgraded to pikes and had about 5 along with 10 CBs and a horse which I never used. The most entertaining thing was it was Austria and Jerusalem killing the Nazis. Germany sent some troops up to Delhi to get executed. Jerusalem slayed a good bit and I wiped out Munich, over to Berlin and just for fun I took out Hamburg for some lunch (Hamburger, pun intended). I gave them white peace instead of wiping them off the face of the Earth for the time being, and that is where my game is at. (After thinking a bit Im getting pretty TOM SUM (greedy) and am going to plan on taking out Cologne so our people smell better). I think I got education at t 120 and my spy was in Greece but it was like 35 turns so I just put him into the huns for hopes of a shorter steal. I suppose you could make the case that the game is over and I have no reason to finish but I do like to play my games out to the bitter end.

KBs Game vs My game:
Spoiler :

Ok so since I played out 153 turns I decided to look at KBs spoilers now. Your game and mine are night and day! Awesome growth man, you got that culture game down pat! You forced India into OCC it looks like compared to my game where he had 3 cities up pretty quick. The Vikings only have 1 city at the end of your game as well. I love how 1 game can totally be different than another. Also, I hardly play this civ. I did lose the deity challenge with this civ awhile back kinda being silly, however I really dont like her UA. I see no reason to marry CS's, I mean I understand why and how to do it I guess I just don't like it. I really dislike how if she marries a CS when you play against her and you capture that city you can't liberate it.

Wonders the AI built me:
Spoiler :
By the way, the Vikings built me Zeus which is pretty sweet for my warmonger game here since I never opened Honor. India did pretty good as well building me Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, Stonehenge and Terr Army. Germany was a pal and built Notre Dame ( thank you very much! ), Pyramids and Oracle. I guess that is why these 3 didn't have more units. Too busy building my wonders :)

Turns 154-324
Spoiler :
I slept only about 4 hrs and couldn't go back to bed. I really didn't have the energy to start the Deity Challenge so I figured this would be a pretty easy finish and ofcourse it is turning out to be a bit of a miscalculated affair. I got really lazy since this turned out to be another Cont type of Pang map. I hate that **** but that is just the way it turns out 50% of the time lol. I can't back those numbers up but when I think of Pang map I think of one flat box of land! Anyway I got lazy teching science instead of naval. As soon as I put a cargo ship into Venice for 32gpt and decided to Marry Kyzyl, in the same turn (I know I said I don't like to do that but they had an instant Navy that I was going to upgrade and go war with.) he shows up with a Navy and declares War at Copenhagen. I bring back the Xbows and defend pretty easy with upgraded frigates. I upgrade those to Battleships and decide I don't need submarines and go for Venice. What a fight, when you only bring a perfect amount of units to fight with it can make the game a bit more of a challenge. I get Alex to fight with Venice as well and that might of been a mistake. It was very very close I had my units ready and the walls down but an invisible submarine kept messing me up. (Quick Movement will do that to you) Anyway I had to take peace a turn or two later Greece gets that juicy Cap and I mean juicy! I back off and work on getting Atomic Bombs for an all out assult. I was ready with about 10k gold but next Greece has enough votes for WL. Now I use that gold for CS's to block that. Everything is fine and I finnally marry up with Yerevan. I have to change out of order once again to autocracy to keep happy. Not really a problem since I got 6 deep for the free GE/GS. Now Greece DOFs with me and all is well. Im getting loan gold from him and buying the bombs for 630 gold. I buy 9 of them plus 2 on a carrier outside his cap. I nuke him up, drop in the Xcoms and use some navy to take 3 caps in 2 turns and win the game!! WAIT A MIN!! Oh ya I forgot about Atilla's cap... F@%$% me in the F$*%&^*in A^&! Ok don't panic we can still do this and have a fire sale get some more nukes and get this done! I played a few more turns and it looks like Im not going to get the Dom win. I saved the game and will try to finish soon. Most likely going to have to go SV now lol! Could I have sat back and won this easy? Sure but that is not really what I wanted to do this game. Should I have pushed out a Navy 75 turns sooner? Ofcourse, but that would of been too easy too! I really do enjoy getting the game to this point where you just might lose instead of say winning in 210 turns with no real danger and it can be fun using all the toys from the atomic/info era. If nothing else at least if your kinda new to this game you can see how you could of sat back bought 3 more nukes got a couple more xcoms and took out all 4 caps at once and that is what this is really about, however I still want to win this game no matter what, without reloading ofcourse.

Turns 325-375
Spoiler :
I took some time off and decided to get back in this game and finish it. I must of lobbed 35 nukes this game. I lost all my cities in the land of Greece and went back home to lick my wounds. I had to rebuy all the science buildings I sold to buy more nukes. It was kinda funny buying univ,public schools, and labs in all my cities. I had to build caravans to get some more gpt. I teched up and went to war with Greece's CS's and took over 5 of them to lock him out of any WL win. I don't think he was nuking me at Berlin but maybe. Can a CS nuke you? It seemed like it. Another thing I learned this game is nuculear subs can go through ice, that was pretty cool to see. Anyway, It was pretty close I think Greece only need a turn or two more to complete his shuttle but I beat him to the punch. I was really hoping I would lose this game but I think it might be really hard to lose at immortal. Turn 375 LOL!! (SV) Im pretty amazed that Immortal AI lets you get that far. It looks like that is about the number that they can win at 375-380 Im guessing. Also, Athens is in the middle of the desert and never goes DF or gets Petra which is pretty odd. Zulu Deity Next!!

Message to TLHeart:

Where is your game at? You post this up and decide to do real life things instead of post up your game. LOL get back into this fantasy world and show us what you did!

Thanks guys for playing this game, it is always interesting to see other ways to play the game, and how different it plays out...

Top Bottom