Unuseal start

Mutineer

Deity
We all know how to play good starts, but how to play a bit more difficult one's?

Here I roll out map (immortal, everything standard except map type was shaffle.

I will not provide picture so not to scare you all, but how I started to play it every AI except france enter renaissance befor I enter medieval.

So, try, How to play not soo good starts.
change save on initial.

Spoiler :
here is picture, you can see it in new tab or window.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    498.5 KB · Views: 82
I'll check it out. I think a bad spot just pushes back victory date. Makes more work.

Can you post the initial save, not the auto save?

Embedded initial screenshot (my browser didn't like the original link)

Spoiler :

Intriguing. I might give this a run sometime this week.

a Bad start just changes the route to victory. The standard practices just are not available.

I have looked at the turn 0 picture. What is it that makes this such a bad start?
It looks like a pretty normal start to me :)
Not a lot of production, not a ton of food...but coastal and river adjacent. 2 mining lux.

clearly not great but not the worst either. Do horses show up? Iron?

There is no such thing as a bad start in immortal and below (at least if the map is Pangaea/you are not blocked off by mountains or choke points) as you can move your starting settler to other AIs lands without the extra settler they get on deity.

There is no such thing as a bad start in immortal and below (at least if the map is Pangaea/you are not blocked off by mountains or choke points) as you can move your starting settler to other AIs lands without the extra settler they get on deity.

not all maps are pangaea.

and not everyone is a skilled as you, so immortal is a challenge for many people.

And the AI is exactly the same on diety, as it is on immortal... the difference, that extra settler the AI gets on diety, for a head start.

I have looked at the turn 0 picture. What is it that makes this such a bad start?
It looks like a pretty normal start to me :)
Not a lot of production, not a ton of food...but coastal and river adjacent. 2 mining lux.

clearly not great but not the worst either. Do horses show up? Iron?

you are playing Morocco with NO dessert, and I see snow to the northwest...

not all maps are pangaea.

and not everyone is a skilled as you, so immortal is a challenge for many people.

And the AI is exactly the same on diety, as it is on immortal... the difference, that extra settler the AI gets on diety, for a head start.

The extra settler makes a huge difference in terms of where you are allowed to settle on immortal though. This is applicable to Pangaea and continents and any map where your settler has places to go. The only exception would be archipelago. There is double the amount of land left over in the first dozen turns or so at least, so if you start in a crappy tundra you could just walk south for 10 turns if you must. So a bad start just means maybe a several turn handicap at worst, not a long term impact as on deity.

On deity, you have no such luxury. You walk south, and all good land has been taken by both settlers of the AI. On immortal you simply take the AIs natural expansion location and go from there.

T290 DV.
Spoiler :

3 cities : Marakesh on start position. Fes near Grand Mesa. Rabat on silver East.
Mix tradition/liberty then ratio then order (to iron curtain) then patronage.
An epic failed on HG. No wonder except Eiffel tower (I forgot AI are slow on ideologies on Immortal) and Cristo Redentor.
Mining > Writing > Maths :)cry:) > Philo > Saling > Construction > Civil service > Engineering > Optics > Education > Metal Casting > Compass (it's Morocco, I wanted trade routes) > cheapest tech to sci fi > Chemistry > Plastics > Trade routes > Globalization > Railroad. Absolutely non optimal. I was really behind after failing HG.
Everybody took order except China and Poland (I mind myself to take Liberty because I was behind all AIuntil Scientific Theory).
WC : world fair (won when I was 8th in manufactured goods !), natural heritage sites (failed) and won word ideologies and religion. Hit globalization 10 turns before last WC. So was 22 turn of next turn and gift gold to CS.
Word leader with 47 votes.
500 gpt after Globalization

T290 DV.
Spoiler :

3 cities : Marakesh on start position. Fes near Grand Mesa. Rabat on silver East.
Mix tradition/liberty then ratio then order (to iron curtain) then patronage.
An epic failed on HG. No wonder except Eiffel tower (I forgot AI are slow on ideologies on Immortal) and Cristo Redentor.
Mining > Writing > Maths :)cry:) > Philo > Saling > Construction > Civil service > Engineering > Optics > Education > Metal Casting > Compass (it's Morocco, I wanted trade routes) > cheapest tech to sci fi > Chemistry > Plastics > Trade routes > Globalization > Railroad. Absolutely non optimal. I was really behind after failing HG.
Everybody took order except China and Poland (I mind myself to take Liberty because I was behind all AIuntil Scientific Theory).
WC : world fair (won when I was 8th in manufactured goods !), natural heritage sites (failed) and won word ideologies and religion. Hit globalization 10 turns before last WC. So was 22 turn of next turn and gift gold to CS.
Word leader with 47 votes.
500 gpt after Globalization

You went standart, I hope some one did like me for example, Piety/Aestetic and settling 7 cities :)

Turn 357 SV.

Spoiler :

Isolated start, settled in place, so I could use cargo ships.
Build order, scout, monument, shrine, granary, library, worker, worker, settler, NC, Oracle.. did not settle rabbit until NC was done.

Tech, order, writing, mining, philosophy, sailing and optics, civil service, education, astronomy,

Went full tradition, then two into Patronage for consulates, then 3 into commerce, for the +1 science, and cheaper purchasing of everything in cities.. then rationalism..

First to Ideology, and I took Liberty, tired of order... also wanted to purchase space ship parts.
Poland joined me in freedom after order and auto had both been picked twice..

Used 1st cargo ship to trade with the city states to the south, 2nd cargo ship to feed marrakech.
3rd cargo feeds rabbit.

explored what I could with triremes, met Shoshone, Iroquois, and Poland. Before I finished astronomy, on turn 122, Pocatello established the world congress...

Played peaceful trader all game...

screen shot of my winning launch, and of my size 49 capital
Spoiler :

I enjoyed the start, the game as the peaceful trader, only 2 cities, sending my cargo ships all over the world, used the cargo ships to ally city states via freedom, and kept the cash flow steady, so I could build late game wonders, while purchasing needed buildings...

Military, the 6 free units, one sub and 2 upgraded triremes, and all others were gifted to me from city states... Pocatello wanted my land the last 80 turns, but bribes kept him busy wiping out the Iroquois, and then poland, and france... I kept him as leader of the WC, to help with the diplomacy.

I don't think that is such a "bad" start at all. I roll alot of starts that look like that :) If your trying to say it is not a premium start I might agree but I've rolled and played far worse. I think Ill play it though becasue I want to play an Immortal game and move my settler as close as I can to the AI's cap and see if I can take it over right away! Also that xtra settler makes a world of difference for the AI when you compare Imm to Deity!!

Top Bottom