Mod that allows for taking another civ's uniques?

samb1230

Chieftain
Is there a mod out there that allows you to cannibalize another civ's uniques? Like if I kill the French with the chinese I can choose to build Chateaus or musketeers?

I don't think so. It's an interesting idea, but I think it would just make powerful civs all the more powerful.

It wouldn't be trivial to accomplish (it would take some Lua with persistent data), but it's certainly do-able.

I don't think so. It's an interesting idea, but I think it would just make powerful civs all the more powerful.

It wouldn't be trivial to accomplish (it would take some Lua with persistent data), but it's certainly do-able.
So I take it this mod does not exist but could if I wasn't such a noob at modding? How could I convince someone to make this happen? Put up a request?

It's not a mod that's made for balance that's for sure. Most UU and UAs are time sensitive, it would be the UI and UB's that stay relevant.

So I take it this mod does not exist but could if I wasn't such a noob at modding? How could I convince someone to make this happen? Put up a request?
Yes and yes. But you kind of just did make the request. You probably have a better chance of it being seen here than in the mod request thread.

It's not a mod that's made for balance that's for sure. Most UU and UAs are time sensitive, it would be the UI and UB's that stay relevant.
It would be really difficult to do UAs, but unique units/buildings/improvements are OK.

Depends on the unique you're looking to copy.

UAs are practically impossible without a DLL mod. You could perhaps copy a few of the XML effects, but forget any modded Civilizations with Lua scripts.

UUs are by far the easiest Unique to copy, with the caveat that you aren't going to be able to just select them from the City production screen and build them normally. But there are all sorts of means in Lua to grant someone else's UU when certain conditions are met. I've done it myself. Take a look at "Homura Akemi" in that pack.

UIs are doable, but you'd need a fair bit of Lua logic for it, you'd need to edit UnitPanel.lua extensively, and you'd need to figure out some way to help the AI utilize it. Not a project I'd recommend to a first-time modder.

UBs were attempted, but it turned out to be infeasible, so much so that I helped them out with an upcoming rewrite of the UA to have different effects. The game makes way too many assumptions about what buildings you should have for this to work well.

Depends on the unique you're looking to copy.

UAs are practically impossible without a DLL mod. You could perhaps copy a few of the XML effects, but forget any modded Civilizations with Lua scripts.

UUs are by far the easiest Unique to copy, with the caveat that you aren't going to be able to just select them from the City production screen and build them normally. But there are all sorts of means in Lua to grant someone else's UU when certain conditions are met. I've done it myself. Take a look at "Homura Akemi" in that pack.

UIs are doable, but you'd need a fair bit of Lua logic for it, you'd need to edit UnitPanel.lua extensively, and you'd need to figure out some way to help the AI utilize it. Not a project I'd recommend to a first-time modder.

UBs were attempted, but it turned out to be infeasible, so much so that I helped them out with an upcoming rewrite of the UA to have different effects. The game makes way too many assumptions about what buildings you should have for this to work well.

Well that is discouraging. I thought UB's and UI's would be nice since they never become obsolete. I figured UA's would be the most difficult to do. I personally have no experience modding civ other than basic XML editing.

Top Bottom