Civ V stock image Scavenger hunt

Well, it's a game about our world and not some fantasy game, so I think it's more than valid to use real life references for the artwork. But that some pictures really look like a filter-job makes it seem a little bit cheap. :/

If they didn't have enough time, that's still no excuse for ripping off other people's work.

That smacks of either laziness or a lack of integrity.

I think the devs did a good job converting these images for the game. They certainly made a consistent style of icons.

I do some photography and have sold images of my own and I know you can buy high-res images for as little as a few pounds for any use, royalty free. If the Dev's didn't pay at least something to the originators, then shame on them. Even if they used an image for "inspiration" it would be the morally right thing to at least of paid a token amount.

I'd be proud to have one of my photos used as the basis for a Civ game icon and I wouldn't expect to get rich off of it either. I would expect, however, to get some money, even just a few pounds, for my work.

For the sake of the price of a couple of pints of beer, I don't see any reason not to pay for images, especially when you're going to get the money back as soon as some sucker buys a couple of DLC civs :D

has anybody else thought about the idea that maybe they did pay for some of the pictures they used, instead of all of this, "blah blah blah, they don't have integrity"?

Why dont we ask 2K Greg?? We post all our findings in the 2k forums and
just ask him. That would be thr easiest way...

has anybody else thought about the idea that maybe they did pay for some of the pictures they used, instead of all of this, "blah blah blah, they don't have integrity"?

Fair point. I wasn't very clear.

I meant to say if there wasn't enough time that's still not an excuse and if they ripped off other people's work and didn't pay for it then they lack integrity.

I am hoping they did the right thing.

I think the devs did a good job converting these images for the game. They certainly made a consistent style of icons.

That's what blew me away - not only how great they looked but how consistent in style they were.

Can we maybe get back to the scavenger hunt please?

The problem is probably that it's much easier to utter an opinion than to find a matching image. ;)

We could try to adhere to a gentleman's agreement that every second post of the same member in this thread has to contribute to the hunt - by finding a match, offering candidates, or (dis)proving candidates offered by others. I actually have imposed that rule on myself, which is the reason why I haven't contributed to the discussion - I find it hard to find more matches. ;)

Does anyone know if DLC icons are posted anywhere online? I'm curious if they used the work of other artists post-launch.

The problem is probably that it's much easier to utter an opinion than to find a matching image. ;)

Man I spent hours looking for the damn original images, to be honest every time I find and post them it's just the same point all over again: "Firaxis used a stock images in the laziest and least creative way possible".

I mean how many more images must we find to get the point across?, I'm a bit done with looking for images, I'm really more interested in knowing the why and how.

I'll ask 2k Greg about it, there's already 2 posts at the 2k forums about the thread and nobody has commented on them.

I gotta say, no matter which way you look at it, even if they did get approval for all of these icons (and I'm leading towards no, they didn't), this is pretty lazy work. I can't imagine it that they saved THAT much time cutting some corners on some small icons. I like the icons, but they certainly took the easy route on them.

I mean how many more images must we find to get the point across?, I'm a bit done with looking for images, I'm really more interested in knowing the why and how.

Some people just enjoy this thread because it's an interesting light-hearted thread. Not everyone is using this thread as a platform for decrying Firaxis. That's probably the reason people are curious about DLC (and probably the patched-in buildings).

Getty Images sues enough people worldwide already, so why should *ANYONE* bother to create authentic work of Arts since everything gets plagiarized within hours if not minutes as soon as a copy of something goes online.

Why; Efficient.
How; Whatever it takes.

Any other questions?

On-Topic;

1) Each and every Leaders are done through either Oil Paintings, Photographs & some are extrapolated from Sculptures. Too many sources to even bother digging for some relative resemblance.

2) see thumbnails below... *THESE* (and plenty more) were created from scratch by dedicated staff paid to provide copyrighted values owned by Firaxis.

Dig all you want - the only proof you'll get is a risk of being caught in a lie.

Attachments

• buildingatlas_29.png
    buildingatlas_29.png
    69.1 KB · Views: 248
  • buildingatlas_04.png
    buildingatlas_04.png
    56 KB · Views: 4,740
Top Bottom