No Gunpowder units have city raider?

Illusion13

King
So basically, after Musketman (I realize that the melee units are still available until you research Rifling), nothing will ever have City Raider... And IMO, that kinda sucks, because you will, for quite a while be fighting with Gunpowder units (I personally am not very into Cavalries or any other mounted units but thats more or less due to the fact that I've never been lucky enough to get horses early...)

So thats almost a must for me to stock up on Maces before reaching rifling... =.=

All siege (read: Cannon) have it. And later Tanks/Modern Armor will have it again.

Gunpowder foot-soldiers dont have it.

You can however hoard up some of your veteran CRIII Macemen and promote them to rifles and later infantry to get a couple of very good Gunpowder city attackers.

If you want those really badly, there is a small - but somewhat gold-intese - trick: Tech Rifling for Rifleman, but skip Military Science (no Grens). You will be ably to build Maces and Rifles at the same time. Ideally your military city should make Level 3 units (10 XP) from scratch. Build maces, promote them to CRIII, upgrade to rifles. The opgrade is somewhere around 150 gold - don't remember the exact number out of my head, so you will need to have some hoarded gold, or a nice gpt income to pull this.

Yeah but the thing is, for a LONG period of time you will be using Gunpowder foot soldiers... Or do you mean I am really supposed to use cannons to soften up cities and then use the foot soldiers to take over...

Yeah but the thing is, for a LONG period of time you will be using Gunpowder foot soldiers... Or do you mean I am really supposed to use cannons to soften up cities and then use the foot soldiers to take over...

If you can't upgrade city raider macemen, then city raider cannons are still pretty good to weaken defending riflemen and grenadiers. In vanilla civ4 and BTS, they can even kill the defenders, in BTS only seriously weaken them. But then the job of killing them with grenadiers or riflemen is pretty easy.

Plus, it's a good idea to make sure you DO have horses. They don't lose their utility until your enemies get Assembly Line and your Cavalry start having to fight Infantry. From Guilds through Assembly Line mounted units are the best attackers, and that's a loooooooong life span! You should research Animal Husbandry pretty early anyway, as it's a basic worker tech, and that will reveal where the horses are. Build a city deliberately to take advantage of them. If worse comes to worst you should be able to trade for them, but most of the time you shouldn't have to.

You can build City Raider Swords and Axes early and they'll see plenty of combat to get experience and you can keep upgrading them. I usually end up with at least a few CR Infantry

just upgrade your elite swordsmen, macemen, axemen. if you are playing george bush and terrorizing the world, upgrading your elite early units into city raiding riflemen and infantry can be extremely formidable. combined with local airships, they are unstoppable. so save some gold, and pay for these uprades. you'll be glad you made the investment.

if the enemy has got riflemen, you may want to upgrade to CR grenadiers instead of rifleman.

my little trick is while teching Rifle build a lot of mace man .
when i go rifling just turn 100% commerce for few turn and turn all ur mace man to rifle . So you got a cheaper rifle (less hammer ) with CR promotion already :D

Lots of good advice here. And I would agree with the poster recommending you not ignore mounted units. Personally I love mounted units, they make all the difference in the world, allowing you to catch and defeat a part of your opponent's army where it is less dangerous-- in the field. They also give you the ability to much more feasibly wage the economic war; stealing workers, cutting off strategic resources and general pillaging, as well as provide invaluable fog busting in the enemy's territory... Making you that much more likely to catch those stray troops in the open where they won't benefit from fortify and city defense bonuses. The only time I wouldn't include mounted (or their late game equivalent armored) troops in a war is if it's an archipelago map and I'm using air power and marines to run the whole operation. Even then, a transport or two full of city raider + collateral damage tanks can be a real back breaker.

The only way I have seen to get city raider for gunpowder units is when they have been promoted from melee units. I have actually used this strategy; build macemen, give them city raider promos, and then I can upgrade them to grenadiers.

It's not that big a deal, mainly because of cannons. I usually stock up on defensive grenadiers and riflemen to protect my masses of CR3 cannons, since by the time my cannons are through with attacking + collateral damage, a basic rifleman will usually have 95+% odds of winning.

You can promote the maces if you have money but I usually don't bother. Some siege and a combination of combat and counter promotions seems to do just fine. In particular, the anti-gunpowder promotion will make attacking cities pretty effective too. I don't think you really have to worry about combat 1 rifles vs longbows, do you? What defenders are actually viable against gunpowder units? That's right...gunpowder units. All of your gunpowder units have access to "pinch" after combat 1, and getting that isn't much of a reach. I haven't done the math be the difference between CR II rifles and C1 pinch rifles when attacking a gunpowder unit can't be THAT huge, can it?

You can promote the maces if you have money but I usually don't bother. Some siege and a combination of combat and counter promotions seems to do just fine. In particular, the anti-gunpowder promotion will make attacking cities pretty effective too. I don't think you really have to worry about combat 1 rifles vs longbows, do you? What defenders are actually viable against gunpowder units? That's right...gunpowder units. All of your gunpowder units have access to "pinch" after combat 1, and getting that isn't much of a reach. I haven't done the math be the difference between CR II rifles and C1 pinch rifles when attacking a gunpowder unit can't be THAT huge, can it?

CR III is + 75% city attack and + 10% against gunpowder units.

Pinch is + 25% against gunpowder units.

I think it's clear which gives the most advantage attacking a city.

CR III is + 75% city attack and + 10% against gunpowder units.

Pinch is + 25% against gunpowder units.

I think it's clear which gives the most advantage attacking a city.

Heh true. I forgot how powerful the III promotions are. There's probably a good reason that you can't run theo/vassalage and slap down a couple GG's and laugh as your almost double str rifles mow down everything though.

Pinch sucks when compared to CR III but it's a reasonable boost. Throw in some siege or more combat line and it's certainly enough to use gunpowder offensively. IMO easily obtained CR III gunpowder would make the game too much easier.

Once my opponents have gunpowder units, most of my gunpowder units, calvary, and tanks, get Pinch. But i try to preserve as many City Raiders as I can.

I prefer to upgrade maces to grenadiers than rifles. If your opponent still has longbows grenadiers are more than enough to cut them down with a bit of siege help, and once they do get rifles the grenadiers are going to cut them down too. Just get their horses pillaged ASAP!

Top Bottom