Republic of Cuba [WIP]

albie_123

Modding In Secret
---​

Fidel Castro

Republic of Cuba
---

---​

Greetings Commandante, leader of the Cuban people and their glorious struggle for freedom. You, along with 51 other comrades, including the legendary Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, endured the trip from Mexico on the Granma and landed in the nation of Cuba, armed with only basic supplies, outdated weaponry, and the revolutionary spirit. Against impossible odds, thanks to inventive tactics, brilliant use of the terrain, and your own ability to unite those around you against a common foe, you led your forces to victory against the US-backed government that had turned Cuba into what you saw as little more than an American colony. Your intelligence, charisma and personal faith in the revolution secured you into position as the longest lasting modern head of state, outliving all of your rivals in Washington, despite over 600 attempts on your life.

The nation of Cuba is the most populous island nation in the Caribbean, and the largest in area. Its culture is a blend of native Carribean, African and Latin influence. It is the birthplace of mambo, the homeland of the prolific writer Jose Marti, and was once the centre of all things tobacco. Thanks to your leadership, the Cuban people enjoy a high literacy rate, extraordinary health care, an infant mortality rate lower than some developed European nations, and is the world's most self-sustainable country. Your doctors serve in many third world countries, and your soldiers have fought against tyranny across the globe. However, your people's freedoms are limited in the name of the revolution, and freedom of speech is marginal. It is unsurprising that your style of leadership has left you as one of the most controversial figures in modern history.

Commandante Fidel, the Cuban people look to you for further leadership, to once more unite the Cuban nation against those who seek to exploit her. To outlast and outlive your enemies' attempts at sabotage, subterfuge, and assassination. To rule your people with an iron fist. Can you again, against all odds, lead your people to freedom?

---

---​

Inspired by Cyon's Kingdom of Kongo civilization, this is the artwork and proposal of a new civilization, the Republic of Cuba. I, like Cyon, am primarily a digital artist, and while I have been extremely impressed with the civilizations added by other modders so far, especially considering how short a timespan we've had to mod this game compared to, say, Civ 4, I've found that the lack of artwork, such as icons, and leader scenes, breaks immersion somewhat. As such, I've tried my hand at doing the artwork for this Civ, trying both to keep to Civ V's modernist style, and capturing the essence of the units and leaders I am depicting - and also putting a decent amount of effort into them, as opposed to just running them through a filter on photoshop!

At this point, I have not completed the necessary XML to integrate this Civ proper. I am no newbie to coding - I did plenty of XML related modding in Civ 4 - however, I have not yet tried my hand at ModBuddy, and, what's more, I am a terrible man at balancing units and traits. Hence why I've made this thread - I'd like to hear suggestions for what numerical values I should assign to the UU, UB, and Trait, as far as their effects go. I got nothin'.

---​

However, I'd feel pretty bad if I just asked you guys to help me out without giving something back. :mischief: So, I'm also making this offer:

If any of you guys who have already made a new Civ and have completed the XML are lacking decent artwork, I'm more than willing to have a go at making it for you. Believe me, I've got way too much free time, and would do it just so whoever plays Civ V can have the new civs that they deserve. :)

---​

Finally, let's keep any political commentary on Cuba and Fidel Castro for another time and place, shall we? ;)

That's cool. I actually started making a 'Republic of Cuba' mod myself at the end of last year. Would you like me to send you what I have, and you can use as much or little of it as you like? I did the XML for most of it but got bored when doing the artwork!!

I had Castro as the leader with a unique trait of 'Children of the Revolution', which I believe increased the attack modifier in friendly territory.

My UU was also the guerilla. I think I was playing around with making them faster and stronger in rough terrain but weaker in general, like you have suggested. I also made some Photoshop artwork I was quite pleased with.

Anyway, if you message me an email address I can send you some files. I might take another look at them first and see if I can improve it a little!

Edit: of course I can also try and change my XML to the copy and specifications you have outlined above, creating a plantacion etc, if you think that would work better

I really like this idea! What does "WIP" mean? Sorry, I'm not a buff on the lingo on here :/ I really want this mod if/when you make it, or if it's already up. The only thing I would change is the guerilla being weak, I would make it weak on open terrain, but stronger than most on rough terrain.

Are you still working on this? If so, what are the agricultural resources? Bonus resources, or more specific than that?

I don't know how you managed to find this antique without noticing 2 of the most active mod threads are making Cuba, both Colonialist Legacies and Patria Grande are creating their own individual Cubas.

I really like this idea! What does "WIP" mean?
"Work In Progress"

BTW, is there a download link here? I don't see one...

AW you are responding to a person which was active last year and to a comment which was posted 4 years ago :crazyeye:

Top Bottom