AW's New Civilizations | The Sixteen Nation Project [G&K/BNW]

How should the Berbers be updated?

• Total voters
Well, that was quick. :lol:
But yes, it is Bohemia, specifically medieval/renaissance time period.
Just out of curiosity - since you did recognize the symbol - how much would you happen to know about bohemia/Czech history?

Almost nothing, the only reason I recognized it was because I made an icon myself.
See:
Spoiler :

Hey, the Inuits came out! and nobody was informed...

Looks very interesting! I also like the fact that this is the only Inuit civ I've seen that doesn't use Sled Dogs as a UU.

Hey, the Inuits came out! and nobody was informed...
:huh: Post #38? The really long one I made?
Looks very interesting! I also like the fact that this is the only Inuit civ I've seen that doesn't use Sled Dogs as a UU.
TBH what UU I use almost completely depends on what unit graphics are available. :lol:

And just as a note, the music for the Inuits, personally, drives me absolutely nuts, (but hey, throat-singing is really all I could find :sad: ) so if anyone wants, I could add a patch to remove it.

I started a game as the Inuits because I was looking forward to playing around in the snow, but they started me in the desert along some floodplains. The floodplain tiles produced the +1 culture from your dummy building. You might want to give floodplains and oasis tiles a -1 culture through <Building_FeatureYieldChanges> (like Petra does) so that these tiles don't benefit from the "+1 culture from tiles that don't normally produce a yield" part of your trait. Also, ice and mountain tiles don't normally produce a yield. You could give culture to ice easily enough, if you wanted, but mountains are a pain to change from what I understand.

Anyway, nice work on these civs!

I started a game as the Inuits because I was looking forward to playing around in the snow, but they started me in the desert along some floodplains. The floodplain tiles produced the +1 culture from your dummy building. You might want to give floodplains and oasis tiles a -1 culture through <Building_FeatureYieldChanges> (like Petra does) so that these tiles don't benefit from the "+1 culture from tiles that don't normally produce a yield" part of your trait. Also, ice and mountain tiles don't normally produce a yield. You could give culture to ice easily enough, if you wanted, but mountains are a pain to change from what I understand.

Anyway, nice work on these civs!
Yeah... Unfortunately, there is no such start bias as a snow bias. The best I could settle for was a tundra bias and hope players would choose to settle on arctic coasts themselves. :sad: Mind you, the civ has a tundra start bias, not a guarantee - which is, IMO, the most annoying thing about start biases altogether. :mad:

As for the suggestion to remove culture from floodplains and oases... sounds reasonable. I hadn't even thought about that when making the civ. That will be in the next update, which will probably include a fix for the inuksuk. And maybe also the igloo, depending on whether or not I can get the lua to work.

But the thing about setting a culture yield to mountains: It's not as easy as it may seem. LastSword did something like this in his Nepal civ, but I seem to remember that it involved creating a new feature and applying it to all mountains, then having a dummy building that gives an extra yield for the new feature... something complicated like that.

But the thing about setting a culture yield to mountains: It's not as easy as it may seem. LastSword did something like this in his Nepal civ, but I seem to remember that it involved creating a new feature and applying it to all mountains, then having a dummy building that gives an extra yield for the new feature... something complicated like that.

The Mountain "fix" isn't that diffcult... I used it in my Moriya Shrine civ, and as near as I can tell all it does is walk through the map at the start of the game and put an invisible "Mountain" feature down on any Mountain tiles, so that you can interact with it. The main problem for me is that you only get the yields from Mountains if your cities work them, and unless you crank up the yields, they tend to be unappealing when compared against food-producing grasslands, plains, forests, etc. When left to their own devices, at least, my cities rarely actually worked the mountains, unless they were almost completely surrounded by hills and the mountain was a source of food for them.

LastSword's newer Nepal civ makes the yield from mountains a passive effect, and I'll probably move this way when I get around to updating my Moriya civ, as it sidesteps the issue of having to work the mountain.

As for the igloo, I posted some thoughts in the Lua thread you had regarding tying yields to era. I think you could do it fairly easily with dummy buildings, to be honest. I'm not sure if you saw my post in that thread or not...

As for the igloo, I posted some thoughts in the Lua thread you had regarding tying yields to era. I think you could do it fairly easily with dummy buildings, to be honest. I'm not sure if you saw my post in that thread or not...
Yeah, I saw it a while ago. It's still a little beyond my scope, but I think I've got the basic idea down. The problem would be then preventing 7 igloos (which would correspond to the information era) or so from appearing in the city screen - to any non-modder player, that would probably be confusing. :lol: In fact, it would still probably be confusing to most modders.

And Irkalla's method of <GreatWorkSlots>-1</GreatWorkSlots> would, obviously, only work with BNW, so no help there. :(

EDIT:
Spoiler :
And by the way... if you're wondering what's upcoming for Bohemia...

Yeah, I saw it a while ago. It's still a little beyond my scope, but I think I've got the basic idea down. The problem would be then preventing 7 igloos (which would correspond to the information era) or so from appearing in the city screen - to any non-modder player, that would probably be confusing. :lol: In fact, it would still probably be confusing to most modders.

And Irkalla's method of <GreatWorkSlots>-1</GreatWorkSlots> would, obviously, only work with BNW, so no help there. :(

Ahhh, yeah... that would definitely be a problem. I suppose I've gotten to the point that the Lua code itself wouldn't be too difficult for me -- I'll have to see if I can throw together a code segment for you to use, at least. The big issue would be the use of a dummy building, which you'd want to make invisible. Easy to do in BNW, but much more difficult in vanilla or G&K.

I recall the Geth civilization had a way to make dummy buildings invisible in G&K, but I don't recall the specifics of it...

I recall the Geth civilization had a way to make dummy buildings invisible in G&K, but I don't recall the specifics of it...
You mean the Goth civ? From the Fall of Rome scenario? If that's the case, I can only hope it's not something hard-coded in the DLL... :please:

You mean the Goth civ? From the Fall of Rome scenario? If that's the case, I can only hope it's not something hard-coded in the DLL... :please:

Sorry, I meant the Geth civ from the Mass Effect collection. They had a trait that relied on spawning a dummy building in cities with road connections to the capital, and they had a way to make them invisible... but I can't remember how, since it was quite a while ago and I've gotten spoiled with BNW.

(I'm never quite sure how to feel when I comment on all these historical civs by referencing various fictional ones I've collected and examined... X3)

So I found the civ and looked through it, and... it looks like the author edited the CityView.lua file or something...
EDIT: With SQL they also apparently added two new XML building columns - "IsVisible" and "PediaVisible", which are probably what got added into the CityView.lua file.
EDIT2: Yep, IsVisible is added... but not PediaVisible, which I assume is in another file is in the updated CivilopediaView.lua file.

So... I'm thinking: I should probably add this to all my mods that use dummy buildings (with credit to the author of course), the problem being: If several of my mods are active at once, these xml columns will be defined several times, thus, an error. In that case, I should probably make a downloadable patch... But how, then, would I make any and all my civs use the patch's coding if it's active?

Argh, now I wish I knew SQL better... which is truly ironic, since I took it way back in university and did fairly well at it. >__<

Although, if attempting to define the columns multiple times simply causes an error, that shouldn't be an issue -- if you define the SQL in its own file, then if that file errors and crashes it shouldn't affect the performance of the rest of the mod. I know some people do G&K/BNW cross functionality this way, by defining the G&K parts in one file, and the BNW parts in another. One of the two will error out, but the other will work...

Well, still not done with Bohemia... I had a bit of a "modder's block", if you will - couldn't think of a UA or UU ability. I've at least thought of a UA, and it's pretty much done.
But what the post is really about:

AW's Invisibility Patch
Simply run it just like any other mod - while using one of my new civs - and the dummy buildings used in that mod will vanish from the city screen and civilopedia.
So no longer will people potentially be confused by these unsightly abominations! I myself don't like seeing a random iceberg building in my cities while playing as the Inuits, so if you
don't either, I would highly recommend downloading the patch.

To quote the credits file:
Credit.txt said:
"I cannot claim almost any part of this mod as my own.
All the files within the "IP Core" folder were taken directly
from Pluvia's Geth Civilization from the Mass Effect Collection.
Pluvia themself gives credit, within the various files used, to
Tyler, Thalassicus and trysetro49. Thanks to Nutty for help with the SQL."

It's attached here, but I'll also have a download link on the first post.

Anyhow, back to modding Bohemia - which reminds me: When I upload Bohemia, the Invisibility Patch will also be updated. This is so it will include Bohemia's dummy building (yep, it has one too) within its coding. Any older version will not turn the dummy building invisible.

Attachments

• AW's Invisibility Patch (v 1).zip
    48.2 KB · Views: 85
Alright...

Bohemia's still not out yet. :( Sorry. I don't know when it will be. I've run into a bit of trouble coding it and I'm not sure when that can be fixed.

However...

Inuits Version 2 is out, with many new features. The Inuksuk and Igloo actually behave like they're supposed to now, and as abandag suggested, the culture bonus has been removed from floodplains and oases. To quote the version history:
Inuit Version History said:
v2 - Fixed Inuksuk and Igloo. Inuksuk now gives +1 visibility range to land units built in city afterwards. Igloo now give +1 culture per era rather than +2 culture. Culture bonus removed from floodplains and oases.

BUT - The new update adds a full 8 new dummy buildings. Hideous! So I must advise you more than ever to download the now updated Invisibility Patch. I updated that too, to handle the 8 new dummies. Download link is in the same place as always, on the first post.

Tell me if you have any issues.

And I'll try to get Georgia and/or Bohemia out as soon as possible.

I used all of your civs and continue to use some of them, but I must say Berbers in a Pangea with only Domination-driven Civs is an insane blood bath. As much fun as body parts.

:lol: Well, they are supposed to be Offense-oriented!

Just as a note though - and this is going to sound really weird - I wouldn't recommend using my Berber mod, since it's so horribly broken. :sad: The UA doesn't work and the Takoba is extremely OP. However, once I get the Kingdom of Georgia out, I'm going to be doing some rapid-fire updates to each civ, during which the Berbers will be completely reworked. As in... they won't even be offense-based after Version 2.

The KoG would be completely done and ready to release... if I could get the UA working. Hopefully that will be soon, but in all reasonability in probably won't. As soon as they're out I'll announce what civs are up next! (Totally unlike me, I know) Be prepared for a few surprise twists. :)

(I was actually really surprised but relieved when I saw that someone resurrected this thread :lol:)

The UA doesn't work?! That is a shock to me. Although I never played with them, I rarely (if ever) saw them with low happiness; but yes, the Unit is pretty powerful. :lol:

I tend to avoid using Custom Civilizations, but there some are just to fun to ignore (Berbers the current pre-errata, Pouakai's Mexico, JFD's Armenia, Lithuania and Franks, various from TPangolin, many from LS, etc).

Okay, so: I've been working on Georgia for a full 8 months :)cringe:) now with little to no progress. Shall I announce the plans for the next few civs, or should I keep it shrouded in mystery since It Is, after all, Always a Secret?

EDIT: Also should probably point out - since all my civs are compatible with BNW, I'll be officially removing the BNW version of Switzerland. There's no reason to keep it.

EDIT2: #DeletedDownloadTheGodsAndKingsVersionInsteadItWorksPerfectlyFine
EDIT3: #Dang50CharacterMaxRule

Top Bottom