Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
THE BASIC MOD

This modpack attempts to make a realistic and historically correct Civ3 game based on an Earth map. It also seeks to reduce the “time boredom” often caused by large maps.
This is not a scenario: just civs beginning in 4000 B.C in their correct starting locations. If you miss Civ2 world.mp, this is the mod for you!

The aim of this mod is different from other similar modpacks in that it attempts to achieve this being still as close to original game play as possible.
If you have some experience with some mods of this forum (for example DyP and TET's ToT) you'll find that this mod has pretty unique traits. Their philosophy is more units, more techs = more fun, no matter if they are incomplete, redundant or inaccurate.
But what's the difference in having for example a swordsman, a longswordsman, a broadswordsman and a swordswoman?

Instead in this mod any addition of wonders, techs or units has been carefully considered. Nothing was added unless strictly necessary. The tech tree has been slightly edited, there are no inaccurate units (like dinos), and each addition has its own civilopedia entry, just like the original game. No animation has been used twice to represent different units or leaderheads.
This standard of quality applies to the map, too: more cities = more fun is not true! Huge and giga maps are unplayable. The innovative rules, combined with this specific Earth map cut the loading times (even the slowest computers will afford 31 civs in the same time) and make a game with this mod a fast and fun experience.

In brief, this mod features:
· A 170x170 world map made specially for this modpack
· Special rules for speed improvement: loading times are reduced up to 95%
· New graphics: an enhanced version of Rhye’s terrain and new team colours
· Some additions, including Austria, Ethiopia and Israel
· New resources system and many other innovative rules

This mod needs the Conquests expansion.

Now, let me show you why this is called "The fastest loading mod":

In green - percentages of time saved between Rhye's of Civilization results and the other columns results.
Tests were done with Monarch level with a Pentium IV 1700 MHz - 512MB RAM DDR. More detailed report in the readme or in the official site

The README:
Please download this BEFORE the mod (updated in January 14, 2005 after 10527 downloads!!!!)

Attachments

• RoC_v269_README.zip
    408.5 KB · Views: 6,419
THE EXPANSION PACK

This expansion, developed by Rhye and the Rhye's of Civilization testing team (composed by Aeon221, Asclepius, Beernuts1987, Blasphemous, Chutchy Husky, EL-OSO, Horton, Jaguar, Lachlan, Ville, Vostos), makes up for the lack of additions with a 85MB pack. If you want the raw numbers, here they are: 145 units and 25 wonders added, a totally redesigned tech tree and religions! But it's not the numbers that matter, it's the quality. Every addition has had to meet the same exacting set of criteria (historicity, utility, speed) that made the original RoC so great.

Rhye's of Civilization "basic" fully updated is required.

THE README (installing instructions inside): (updated in January 14, 2005 after 2331 downloads!!!!)

Attachments

• RoCX_README.zip
    416.7 KB · Views: 4,284
THE FILES

COMPLETE INSTALLER:

Here's the installer of the "Expanded" version (basic+X-pack). It is updated, and it contains its own readme:
http://www.3ddownloads.com/civfanatics/civ3/modpacks/RoCX123_Setup.exe

You can instead choose to download in parts:

BASIC MOD: (readme not included)

You can download the whole basic mod already updated to v2.69, divided in four parts:

Part 1 (14 MB)
Part 2 (18 MB)
Part 3 (20 MB)
Part 4 (21 MB)

Out of date?
If you've got 2.62, 2.65, 2.66, 2.67, 2.68 -> Download this patch: Update v2.62_to_v2.69 (3 MB)
If you've got 2.61 -> Download only part 1.
If you've got 2.60 -> Download only parts 1 and 2.
If you've got 2.50 or 2.51 -> Download only parts 1, 2 and 3.
If you've got 2.49 or older -> Download the whole mod again.

EXPANSION PACK: (readme not included)

You can download the whole pack in five parts, already updated to 1.23...
Older versions downloaded 1508 times.

Out of date?
Update the X-pack with the lastest patch (v1.23, 4.5 MB)

and the five parts:

Part 1 (5 MB)

Part 2 (30 MB)

Part 3 (26 MB)

Part 4 (24 MB)

Part 5 (0.5 MB)

Attachments

• RoCX_v123_part5.zip
    460.9 KB · Views: 2,188
WOW!....This is one good map! I love the graphic pack. Only thing so far is color of starting nations are wrong. Like England being red? I would rethink the starting colors. But so far very impressed!

GOOD JOB!

Later

HOT

Originally posted by HeartOfTroy
Only thing so far is color of starting nations are wrong. Like England being red? I would rethink the starting colors. But so far very impressed!

Why wrong? First of all, there's no right or wrong, it's a matter of personal preferences...:)

And, what would you give to England?
English flag is white with a red cross. And think about the Redcoats.
In standard settings it was orange, that no doubt should be Dutch.

Great! It's finished! Downloading...

I like your colors, Rhye... ;) Honestly, Civ needs 2-3 colors per Civ, so the Civs could have their real colors, i.e. the colors of their Flag. And then we wouldn't need all the horrible pinks and purples...

<checking the map>

OK, so you kept America and Korea? America is always a difficult option, wierd in the ancient and early medieval period, neccessary in the industrial and modern period.

Ethiopia is a good addition. :goodjob:

The map and the landmark terrains look great! Their rule effects to.

Me: :goodjob: Rhye: :king:

Gotta go, have a game to play! Guess which?

Good point on the colors. I actually thaught about it after I posted.

Thanks for humbling me... :}

Later

HOT

Hate to say it, but the 1st turn was REALLY SLOW! Yet again, it's most likely the fact that I have a slow computer: Pentium II, 350Mhz, and 128MB RAM...

I agree, the 1st few turns were a bit slow and I have a super fast computer, but its cruising along now. I love this mod!

GREAT MOD...GOOD JOB!

Later

HOT

The more I play this mod the more I love it! GREAT JOB! Im in 10 A.D. and still dealing with the Black Death Plauge...LOL! London was 9 now 7...You B^&st#%d mod maker you Rhye..LOL!

LOVE IT! BEST EVER GAME I HAVE PLAYED!

Later

HOT

Hello and thanks everybody.

The 1st turn is slow because in that turn 31 cities are founded. So, 31 borders must be calculated, etc.
This happens with every map, and depends on the number of civs.

Then, a Pentium II means multiply my loading times X5 or more....

Originally posted by Iztvan
Great! It's finished! Downloading...

I like your colors, Rhye... ;) Honestly, Civ needs 2-3 colors per Civ, so the Civs could have their real colors, i.e. the colors of their Flag. And then we wouldn't need all the horrible pinks and purples...

The 2 colors per civ was a thing I requested to Firaxis 2 years ago, because people said that with more than 8 civs in the same time (as originally planned) there weren't enough colours.
I'd like to find that post, somewhere...I begun the revolt when I saw that only 8 was the limit :ar15:, but no multiple colors or flags (like in civ2) after that :(

Anyway, most of the colours of civs were chosen with a reason. The remaining civs took the remaining colours.

Example:

Germans soldiers used to wear grey uniforms. And the grey fits well austere people like Germans.
French national colour is blue (and their football, rugby, and any other sport shirt, too)
Spain has a red and yellow flag; they are called "furias rojas" which means "red furies", and as red was given to England, I chose that lighter red / darker orange
Arabian national flag is green
Dutch football teams wears orange shirts (and what about William of Orange)
Chinese empire was called the "Celestial Empire" and "celeste" means "pale blue" in italian also.

And so on...

Originally posted by Iztvan

<checking the map>

OK, so you kept America and Korea? America is always a difficult option, wierd in the ancient and early medieval period, neccessary in the industrial and modern period.

Ethiopia is a good addition. :goodjob:

As written in the readme, I removed two civs in very crowded areas. Korea and America instead filled holes.
But if you don't like them you can always play with 29 civs (select NONE instead of them)

Im in 920 A.D. turns loading super fast=ME REALLY HAPPY!

Im playing England and France has pissed me off more then once and caused lots of money problems. I have made it threw those times and the plauge. I have rebuild my nation and settled Ireland. Germany has BORN HITLER early and they have knocked out the Dutch to a small island near me..LOL! They have started war with me and I have settled it with peace. I colonized into Scandinavia were Bergen is in real life. Dam, I love this MOD!

Later

HOT

PS. The Portugese have spread like locus early in the game I was keeping track of there cities like about 7-8 of them and they are not growing anymore. I wish I could see the map...Where are those dam satilites..LOL!

23:00 I'll just try out the mod as the new Civ Austria
00:00 Damn French! They declare war and then drag the Portugese & Romans in with them.
01:00 The war keeps raging, but my pillaging troops force the Romans to accept peace, while a lycky archer spawns a leader - Swordsman army, here I come! Peace with Portugese after I kill two settler-teams (jummy, 4 slaves/settler!)
02:00 France is Austrian, just two small french cities way east in Russia. I Build Holy War in Innsbruck (South of alps).
03:00 Spain declares war, but gets hit by Holy warriors & swordsman army. I conquer spanish town where mordern marseilles is and get peace.
03:30 WTF? Is it that late?!? Time to go to bed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom