Language translations for leader sayings

You have a point, however in English the correct form would be His Eminence even when addressing the Eminence directly. It makes no sense, but that's how it worked as far as I know.

Ah, that's a fair point, 'His/Her Eminence' sounds more formal in English as a form of address, I guess. The main correction was 'Eure' instead of 'Ihre' anwyay, or at least that's what I heard in the sound files...

Thanks guys, added to the front page. Out of curiosity: jinzou, how did you get the translations for the Canaanite language? Did you study it? Or find someone who knew it?

I translated it myself; I'm studying classical Hebrew, which is also a Canaanite language. Actually, Hebrew used to be a Canaanite dialect which only at later stages would be classified as a separate language.
Major divergence in these languages occured when the speakers started using Aramaic (especially under the rule of Achaemenid Persian empire) - Hebrew was influenced heavily by eastern Aramaic and even started using the Aramaic alphabet instead the Canaanite one, other Canaanite languages were more influenceed by local western Aramaic to the point of switching to them entirely, and Punic (spoken in Carthago) stayed outside of these influnces, and evolved in a different way (not much is known about it though).

Yes, give us the transliterations for Dido's dialogue! :)

Where are the Swedes? Must be busy playing the game.
We also need people who understand Amharic and Yucatec (not sure which Mayan language Pacal is speaking)

I checked Dido's XML files
None of the Attacked lines match the actual line

TXT_KEY_LEADER_DIDO_ATTACKED_1
Oh foul, treacherous man! No repentance shall reclaim mine injured self - your acts bring ill between our peoples forever more.
TXT_KEY_LEADER_DIDO_ATTACKED_2
What do you hope to gain from such a wretched act? My elephants will realign your senses for you, free of charge.
TXT_KEY_LEADER_DIDO_ATTACKED_3
With deceit you've come to my harbor - the hypocrite, the serpent. With the gods as my witnesses, you shall repay your debt in blood and toil.

This is the closest declare war line: Tell me - do you know how my army numbers, my trains of elephant or fleets of ship? No? Well, you'll soon find out.

but this declare war line seems close to the actual attacked line: Fate, it seems, has it out for you. Fair Carthage's ire have you aroused in your mockery and measures. Your time has come.

Here are the defeated lines:

TXT_KEY_LEADER_DIDO_DEFEATED_1
To Fate I sue, for now I see all the heavens and earth conspire against me. Fate, the only refuge, the only counsel left.
TXT_KEY_LEADER_DIDO_DEFEATED_2
When I am laid to finally rest in earth, may I be remembered, even as my poor city is consumed in fire and torment.
TXT_KEY_LEADER_DIDO_DEFEATED_3
A pyre I think, one befitting of a goddess. Its flames shall lick across the water's edge, dancing in concert with the stars above. Death is now my welcome guest.

I will update my post with transcriptions.
Very interesting... Maybe the "Gdadon" is a word for a warship or something of the like...
I didn't translate "DidoPeaceful" yet, but she does mention lies there, so it seems they got mixed up with the translations in the XML and the actual sound files (she also says "done/complete" in her "NeutralHello")...
Also, I'm not completely sure about the "mockery and measures" as in "Fate, it seems, has it out for you. Fair Carthage's ire have you aroused in your mockery and measures. Your time has come." I thought she says "bmwḥk ʻrk" which means "in the complete destruction of your cities", in which case the full sentence would be "you will discover the ire of Carthage in the destruction of your cities!"

I have trouble with DidoPeaceful, it's difficult to understand what she's saying both because of the problematic reconstruction of Phoenician/Punic phonology and because of the VA's accent.
Some guesses might be "You lied. You were after my gift without arousing suspicion. Your hatred is without any honour/dignity/glory" šqrt. šḥrt mtnty bwly ḥšd. bly kbd ʼth šnʼh" or even "You lied, you were intoxicated by/swallowed up my gifts, my fat produce... There is no glory in your hatred"

However, the only words that aren't ambiguous are "šqrt = you lied", "mtnty = my gift" and probably the phrase "bly kbd ʼth šnʼh = without glory/honour/dignity you hate"

I think your guess right, Jinzou ...
I speak Hebrew fluently.. i am not into history of Canaanite languages, but i know that modern hebrew still is most similar language to Phoenecian... The Dido speech uses same Aramaic/Hebrew/Kaballah roots alot, and Matanati - is Smikhut for Matana Sheli מתנתי - מתנה שלי = my gift
"Bly Kbd" = בלי כבוד = Without respect

Nice job translating her speech, it seems very precise according to my knowledge and own guesses

I would like to contribute to this nice thread by adding Attila’s lines. I know two Turkic languages, so on one Russian strategy forum I was asked if the languages he speaks on this video is a Turkic one. I couldn't understand a thing, except something that sounded like "Choock", which was very similar to word "No" (Jok) in some Turkic languages. So I got curious and started a thread on a Russian linguistics forum asking what language is it and it turned out to be modern Chuvash.

The reason for choosing Chuvash is that according to some scholars Hunnic language belonged to the Oghur branch of Turkic languages, although it is not a commonly accepted theory. Most probably the scholar whom Firaxis contacted was a supporter of this theory and recommended Chuvash, as it is the only surviving memeber of Oghur branch.

A coordinator of Chuvash social organization "Haval" (Хавал) told me that in October 2010 "a western game company developing a strategy game where you can play for Hunnic Empire" (no specific names were given to him) contacted and asked him to find a professional actor who is a native-speaker of Chuvash, since they decided that Huns in their game will speak Chuvash. He started to look for someone, but after some time they wrote him again saying that they found professional translator and actor themselves and no longer need his help.

Well, it turned out that this translator's and voice actor's knowledge of Chuvash was not that good. All Chuvash native speakers say that the grammar is broken, "seems they've recorded heaps of words separately", "a parody of Chuvash", "the speech is compilation of short dictionary phrases and syntax is often Indo-European and not Altaic one".
The voice actor is not a native either and not even familiar with the language, native-speakers have very hard time understanding the words and his pausing is completely out of place. Most probably he is Russian-English bilingual, since he speaks Chuvash with English accent, but pronunciation of "r" and certain phrases show that he is familiar with Russian. But it also seems that a native speaker (the translator?) gave him some advices on pronunciation. If it's the translator, it might be that although he is a native Chuvash, he doesn't know the language well, it's most probably his heritage language.

P.S. I will post the transcription and translation of the lines in a separate post.

I'm not a native speaker of Chuvash myself, I just compiled translations from different sources. The credits go to people on Russian linguistics forum Lingvoforum (users Awwal12, SWR and especially Zhendoso), Youtube's users Ulahp and reflejo2 (as far as I know he is a scholar of Turkic philology specializing in Chuvash, check out his channel if you want to hear real Chuvash speech). Hope I didn't forget anyone.
I also looked into game's XML files and found out that some lines might be the ones that were given to the translator.

Notes:
This is certainly modern Chuvash, there are many loanwords from Arabic, which entered Bulgar language after adoption of Islam in 10th century (Chuvash is a direct descendant from this language) and loanwords from Russian from as late as 20th century. Both of these were not possible in Attila's time, Arabic was restricted to Arabic peninsula and Russian didn't even exist (Proto-Slavic, from which all Slavic languages emerged did).
Originally there's no T–V distinction in Chuvash, although under the influence of Russian, it has been entering usage since 20th century.
Officially Chuvash is using Cyrillic alphabet (minority languages in Russia are restricted by law from using any other alphabet), but Latin alphabet is also used unofficially. I give transcriptions in both alphabets (first Latin then Cyrillic).

Attacked
Ku mĕn vara!? Esĕ manran hăvăn pujanlăha hamăn (manăn?) pysăk tupăšlăh şumne(?) hušma yjtan. Jyhrava jyšănnă. / Ку мĕн вара!? Эсĕ манран хăвăн пуйанлăха хамăн (манăн?) пысăк тупăшлăх ҫумне(?) хушма ыйтан. Йыхрава йышăннă.
Now what is this?! You ask me to add your riches to my great avails. The invitation is accepted.
Note: Wrong words, wrong tone, missing sounds.
Maybe this line from XML was used: "Try that again, and I'll add your gold to my riches as well."

DeclaresWar
Mana şakă tron jălăhtarma puşlarĕ. Un vyrănne manăn SAN tron şine laras ???[šuhăš] pur. / Мана çакă трон йăлăхтарма пуçларĕ. Ун вырăнне манăн САН трон çине ларас ???[шухăш] пур.
I'm getting bored of this throne (of mine). I have ??? to sit on YOUR throne instead.
From XML: I grow tired of this throne. I think I should like to have yours instead.
Note: It seems that the voice actor understands the word "tron" (throne), which was loaned from Russian during soviet times. He pronounces it in a very Russian way and emphasizes it.

Defeated
Manăn halăh mana kuşşul' mar şyn junĕpe hujhărsa makărasšăn-i? / Манăн халăх мана куҫҫуль мар ҫын юнĕпе хуйхăрса макăрасшăн-и?
My people mourn me not with tears but with human blood. (XML: My people will mourn me not with tears but with the blood of men.)
Note: It's a reference to Jordanes' quote about his death - "The greatest of all warriors should be mourned with no feminine lamentations and with no tears, but with the blood of men."
Wrong usage: hujhărsa makăr 'cry grieving' for 'mourn' which is hühle, wrong syntax: kuşşulĕ mar şyn junĕpe correct: kuşşulĕpe mar, şyn junĕpe, off-course pronunciation, wrong grammar: wrong: makărasšan 'willing to cry' correct makărĕ 'will cry'. And of course, this isn't a question, so -i? (a question particle) - mustn't be used.

HateHello
Mĕn kirlĕ? / Мĕн кирлĕ?
What do you want?

HateLetsHearIt01
Ku mĕn-ha vara? / Ку мĕн-ха вара?
Now what is this?

HateLetsHearIt02
Vara? / Вара?
So what?

HateLetsHearIt03
Malalla tu! / Малалла ту!
Literally: "Forward do", phrase in Chuvash sounds as bad as the literal translation in English
Continue!

HateNo01
Two variants:
1. Kăna jyšănma maj şuk. / Кăна йышăнма май çук.
It is not possible to accept
2. Sana jyšănma maj şuk. / Сана йышăнма май çук.
There's no way to take you in.

HateNo02
Esĕ uhmaha tuhnă! / Эсӗ ухмаха тухна!
You are mad! (from XML), literally "You turned into a fool!"
Note: word "uhmaha" (fool) is a loanword from Arabic (aḥmaḳ). It's actually the first word in Harun al-Rashid's and Ramesses's attacked speeches.

HateNo03
Two variants:
1. Viles kilet-i? Hăvărt ăsatam. / Вилес килет-и? Хăвăрт ăсатам. Do you want to die? I'll see to it at once. (Literally "I'll take/lead you (to the next world) at once.")
2. Viles kilet-i vara sanăn? - So, you want to die, don't you?

HateYes01
Pitĕ lajăh. Kalaşsa tatăltămăr. / Питĕ лайăх. Калаçса татăлтăмăр.
Very well. Agreed.
Note: Lajăh (good, well) is a loanword from Arabic (lāyiḳ).

HateYes02
Şapla! / Çапла!
Exactly!

HateYes03
Pitĕ lajăh. / Питĕ лайăх.
Very well.

Intro
Esĕ halĕ Attila umĕnche, Rim hulin inkek-sinkekĕ. / Эсӗ халĕ Аттила умĕнче, Рим хулин инкек-синкекĕ. (Wrong usage, wrong syntax, wrong articulation.)
You are now in front of Attila, the misfortunes of the city of Rome. (poor translation to Chivash)
After that two variants:
1. Avan man kămăllăhn ukkerme irĕk an par / Аван ман кăмăллăхн уккерме ирĕк ан пар.
Syntactically incorrect sentence, literally "good my mood drop will (as in willpower) don't". Should have been either "Avan kămălna ukerme irĕk an par" (Do it in such way that i won't ruin your good mood) or "Man avan kămălămа űkerme irĕk pamastăp" (I won't allow to ruin my good mood)
2. Avan, man kămăllă hăna ük..
"Well, my lovely guest, fall... [i think he says sonething like kneel before me but it's not clear]"

XML contains the following line: "You are in the presence of Attila, scourge of Rome. Do not let hubris be your downfall as well."
Attila was actually called "the Scourge of God", not "scourge of Rome"

Note: Judging by the way the first sentenced is pronounced, you can tell that voice actor doesn't have a clue of what he is saying. He makes a pause between Attila and next word "umĕnche" (literal translation would be "You now Attila-front"). No native speaker of a Turkic language would make a pause in that place, the reason the voice actor does it is the comma after "Attila" in the English sentence.

NeutralHello
Lajăh kĕtse julcĕş / Лайăх кĕтсе илчĕç
They received well
Maybe it's an attempt to say You are welcomed/We welcome you?

NeutralLetsHearIt01
Jalanhi pekeh tu malalla / Яланхи пекех ту малалла
Let's proceed as usual.
Note: Incorrect and funny phrase for a native-speaker

NeutralLetsHearIt02
Malalla tusa pyr / Малалла туса пыр
Continue
Note: even more funnier phrase for a native-speaker

NeutralLetsHearIt03
Şapla-i, tusăm? / Ҫапла-и, тусăм?
Do you agree, my friend?

NeutralNo01
Manăn kunpa kilĕšmelle mar. / Манăн кунпа килĕшмелле мар.
I must refuse, literally "I shouldn't agree to this"

NeutralNo02
Şuk. / Çук.
No.

NeutralNo03
Halĕ mar. / Халĕ мар.
Not now.
Note: "Halĕ" (now) is a loanword from Arabic (ḥālen)

NeutralYes01
Pitĕ lajăh. / Питĕ лайăх.
Very well.

NeutralYes02
Veşeh lajăh. / Вĕçĕх лайăх.
All is good.
Note: word "veşeh" (all) is a slightly changed loanword from Russian (весь/ves').

NeutralYes03
Kalaşsa tatălnă. / Калаçса татăлнă.
Agreed.

Peaceful
H㚠cuhne şuhatu pulat', hut' te mĕnle tărăšsa hatĕrlensen te. / Хăш чухне çухату пулать, хуть те мĕнле тăрăшса хатĕрленсен те.
Sometimes you endure losses, however well you've tried at preparations.
From XML: Sometimes a loss occurs despite the best attempt at preparation.
Note: Word "hut'" (even/however/despite) is loanword (no later than 18th century) from Russian (хоть/hot'). "Hatĕrlensen" is a derivative from "hatĕr" (ready), a loanword from Arabic (ḥāżir).

Request
Kil-ha! Kunta numaj kilĕšü hucĕsem tumalla. / Кил-ха! Кунта нумай килĕшÿ хучĕсем тумалла.
Come here! There are lots of agreement papers to do.
From XML: "Come, there are many great treaties to be drawn!"
Note: "Kil-ha" (come) is probably used incorrectly, since it's used only to ask/give an order to another person to physically come to you, not as invitation to start some action, as in "Come, let's do it".

P.S. Sorry for any errors or typos, this post contains too many characters in too many languages. :)

Oh, and a couple of notes on other languages:
1. Turkish is missing a lot of diacritical marks. The correct spelling can be found in Civilization V Wikia. That page also contains some changes in translation that I find correct.

2. Maybe this user can help you out with Mohawk? He is a native speaker and helped out with Native American's unit lines in Civ4.

Thank you for your effort in compiling these, especially for the relative completeness of your posts.

The fact that they originally asked for a native speaker suggests to me that the broken speech patterns may not have been a stylistic choice like I would have guessed before. To my ears the actor sounds OK from the point of view that he 'acts' well in spite of poor control of the language. It wouldn't surprise me if the poor quality was almost all down to the translator. I recently read a small remark about a game company receiving transcripts from Google Translate from a 'professional' translator. The translations ended up being replaced by much more accurate community translations.

Of course it could also be that 2k/firaxis just went for the cheapest option as they probably thought too few people would notice if it was done poorly. I'm a little doubtful of that myself mind.

Thank you for your effort in compiling these, especially for the relative completeness of your posts.

The fact that they originally asked for a native speaker suggests to me that the broken speech patterns may not have been a stylistic choice like I would have guessed before. To my ears the actor sounds OK from the point of view that he 'acts' well in spite of poor control of the language. It wouldn't surprise me if the poor quality was almost all down to the translator. I recently read a small remark about a game company receiving transcripts from Google Translate from a 'professional' translator. The translations ended up being replaced by much more accurate community translations.

Of course it could also be that 2k/firaxis just went for the cheapest option as they probably thought too few people would notice if it was done poorly. I'm a little doubtful of that myself mind.

Makes me wonder what it would be like if they had the civ community do the translations for them? If we can translate all this (even Phoenician and Chuvash!) into English, i'm sure we'd be able to do it the other way around.

A real shame about Attila. The actor himself does a wonderful job at portraying the character (especially his Attacked line is delivered in a very awesome way), but that they have butchered the language like that makes me very sad. Just one more thing that will bug me every time I see him on screen. The other being how static and low-res his background seems to be. He really looks disconnected from it, like he's sitting in front of a green screen. Of course that goes for all leaders, but for some reason I specifically notice it in Attila's hut.

We're still missing a couple of Maria Theresa's lines.

I see you admire my new damask... is actually her request line not her peaceful line

also Neutral Letshearit02 and 03 (Ya?)
HateLetshearit02 (Und?!)

Where's ariston?
He needs to finish translating Theodora's lines
I wonder what NeutralNo01 means (Ooh, vipoor, laughes)

And Request, here's what I found in the XML files
I have heard that you adept at certain kinds of ... interactions. Show me. :p

Also, can the rest of Alexander's lines be translated (like DeclaresWar, Attacked, Peaceful)
I wonder why Greek speakers claim he's not speaking Greek. Perhaps maybe he's not a fluent speaker or a lot of the words aren't familiar to Modern Greeks

Morningcalm...we should contact hiio for the Mohawk translations

I see you admire my new damask... is actually her request line not her peaceful line

also Neutral Letshearit02 and 03 (Ya?)
HateLetshearit02 (Und?!)

Ok mate, if someone would please upload her lines on something other than GrooveShark, I will translate her lines from scratch. Like I said, I don't like the wording of several of her anyways.

If not, Neutral Letshearit02 and 03 (Ja?) means Yes?

HateLetshearit02 (Und?!) means And?!

Looks like great work :thumbsup:.

@Morningcalm: Will you include the explanation at the beginning too?
Because that stuff is also interesting to read.

What explanation are ye talking about? :D

Thanks so much for the translations guys! Red Khan, it's great you were able to find all those Attila lines. Updated first post.

Where's ariston?
He needs to finish translating Theodora's lines
I wonder what NeutralNo01 means (Ooh, vipoor, laughes)

And Request, here's what I found in the XML files
I have heard that you adept at certain kinds of ... interactions. Show me. :p

Also, can the rest of Alexander's lines be translated (like DeclaresWar, Attacked, Peaceful)
I wonder why Greek speakers claim he's not speaking Greek. Perhaps maybe he's not a fluent speaker or a lot of the words aren't familiar to Modern Greeks

Morningcalm...we should contact hiio for the Mohawk translations

Yeah, they portray Theodora as still partly courtesan. Makes sense I guess, but it kind of conflicts with the religious music in the background. Lol.

Alexander is speaking badly translated Koine Greek, and modern Greeks have said he's not speaking modern Greek.

We should all contact hiio for the Mohawk translations. :D

Ok mate, if someone would please upload her lines on something other than GrooveShark, I will translate her lines from scratch. Like I said, I don't like the wording of several of her anyways.

I've found them in my game files (...Steam/steamapps/common/sid meier's civilization V/assets/DLC/Expansion/Sounds/Speech/Shared/Theresa for me).

Think I've found it:
MariaTheresa Peaceful: 'Ich hoffe, ihr seid nun zufrieden. All das Getue, und nichts dahinter wie es scheint.' (I hope you are now content. All that fuss, and it seems nothing (came of it).)

hope I got it down correctly. feel free to suggest a better translation, 'specially for that last bit...

Top Bottom