Looking for WW1 and WW2 scenarios

Ali Ardavan

Mathematician
Retired Moderator
This year is the 100th anniversary of the start of WW1 and 75th anniversary of the start of WW2.

As the main planner of GOTMs (Game Of The Month), I would like to set aside some GOTMs for WW1 and WW2 scenarios. While we do occasionally play scenarios in GOTMs, the current cast of active players are not avid scenario players.

I have played the WW2 scenario that shipped with the original Civ2 twice and enjoyed it a lot. We will be definitely playing that at least once and possibly more (each time as a different side of the conflict).

I am wondering if you folks know of a good WW1 scenario we can use. How about any alternative WW2 scenarios? We are all regular Civ2 as opposed to ToT players. So the scenarios have to be playable with regular Civ2. I realize that restricts our choice considerably.

Last, but not least, I hope some of you come over and join us for these GOTMs. Thanks.

This year is the 100th anniversary of the start of WW1 and 75th anniversary of the start of WW2.

As the main planner of GOTMs (Game Of The Month), I would like to set aside some GOTMs for WW1 and WW2 scenarios. While we do occasionally play scenarios in GOTMs, the current cast of active players are not avid scenario players.

I have played the WW2 scenario that shipped with the original Civ2 twice and enjoyed it a lot. We will be definitely playing that at least once and possibly more (each time as a different side of the conflict).

I am wondering if you folks know of a good WW1 scenario we can use. How about any alternative WW2 scenarios? We are all regular Civ2 as opposed to ToT players. So the scenarios have to be playable with regular Civ2. I realize that restricts our choice considerably.

Last, but not least, I hope some of you come over and join us for these GOTMs. Thanks.

Jim Panse, a designer who hasn't been active for a long time, made an excellent WWI scenario for MGE Civ2. I'll have to get it off my back-up drive and zip it up. Where should I send it?

Is this it?

http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php/World_War_One_v2.0

If you have played it, could you please say why you consider it excellent?

It could very well be. I think he made several iterations of that scenario using similar graphics, so I'm uncertain if that's exactly the one I have.

But, to be frank, given the fundamental difficulty of managing a conflict like WWI, especially on the Western Front, with the Civ2 engine (I daresay the only historical struggles harder are those like the Napoleonic Wars, where the inability of the scenario designer to control AI diplomacy except to declare war makes things very tedious and unrealistic except for multiplayer mode; I believe Techumseh had that same issue in his attempt at the wars instigated by Bismark leading up to German Unification, but I digress), any real attempt at a WWI scenario in any sincerity is a valiant effort to start. Also, Jim Panse eloquently addressed the trench warfare issue in probably the least frustrating way for a designer; by starting in October 1914. There have been bandied around ideas of starting in August and event-creating trench units or terrain, but as far as I know, these have fallen flat due to unpredictable unit movement in the early turns.

Also, it doesn't have a lot of more successful rivals. Considering the MPS one that came with the Conflicts in Civilization expansion is easily won, unrealistically, by running a train of artillery followed by infantry to occupy cities and following the railroads, Jim Panse's is very much still the, or one of the, best attempts at a very difficult endeavor thus far.

CurtSibling,

Glad to see you are still active around here. Could you please say a few words about your WW1 scenario?

I downloaded it and did not see any ReadMe. I am interested in info such as:
- number of turns
- brief description of rivals
- description of any new units, techs, ...
- wonders (what is lost, what is already built, what is not allowed to be built)
- restrictions beyond normal game play: government change, senate interference, pollution, ...

Hi, there AA!

I'm definitely still around! :)

As for Kaiser, it was made ages ago, and I will take a look at the scenario
and try to answer those questions! I think it might be worth waiting for the
ToT version, as I no longer bother with MGE, as I find it too restrictive....

The scenario is very primitive, and has none of the care I took with later
creations. May I humbly recommend my more recent scens like "The Eurasian Wars"...
It is my best WW2 effort to date, along with "Dictator 7"...Which might be around on
Poly somewhere...ETW is on the folders here for sure, and has full readme support.

CurtSibling,

I am planning to offer these for the ongoing Civ2 Game of The Month competition which is in its 14th year!

The current cast of players are all regular Civ2 as opposed to ToT players. So the scenarios have to be playable with regular Civ2. I realize that restricts our choice considerably. I suppose the other scenarios you mentioned (Eurasian wars, Dictator 7, ETW) are also ToT, right?

I had a lot of fun with Kaiser 10 years ago when it first came out.

In any update, I think you should rebalance units because the world can easily be conquered by fast moving German Zeppelins and cavalry. Trenches make little difference to Zeps. ;)

I agree, but in the scen they are excellent attack units that easily defeat all but the largest warships.

I want to apologize to Curtsibling. I was quite dismissive in this thread of there being any other noteworthy WW1 scenarios for MGE other than Jim Panse's. I didn't actually do a serious check and had actually forgotten about Curt's Kaiser, which, now that it comes up, I do recall being mentioned a long time ago. I meant no disrespect, Curt, and hope you'll accept my humble apology.

Top Bottom