Questions about The BUG Mod

Not a super easy way given how the Sevopedia code is organized, but I don't think it would be too hard.

Part one is to combine the two lists. You should be able to get both lists and then append the second one to the first (and resort if you want) using list1.extend(list2) IIRC. Don't use list1.append(list2) as that's the wrong function to call.

Next you need to alter how items are added to the list since they won't all be of the same type anymore. This the trickiest part. One way is to build the lists with another data element saying which type the item is. Then you'd need to check this while adding items. Easiest way if you're not very familiar with Python is to simply create two functions for adding elements.

If you give me an idea of your Python experience, I can probably describe better what you need to do targeted at your skill level.

Hi guys

I downloaded the BAT Mod for BTS 3.00 - 3.03 (FBUGMod_006.exe)... which probably explains why I've been experiencing glitches as I recently patched to 3.17 :p

Anyway, how do I uninstall it? I assumed that removing my Custom Assets folder and the BAT.ini from ...\My Games\Beyond the Sword would do the job, but that just makes Civ crash when I try to start a new game.

Removing CustomAssets should do the trick. The latest version (1.0) must be installed as a mod, but AFAIK this wasn't the case pre-1.0. The reason for the new requirement is technical but should not affect your previous games.

Did you completely remove the CA folder? Do you have any other mods installed? When you say Civ crashes, can you be more specific? Do you get a crash to desktop or a Python exception popup or no interface?

Yep, I completely removed the CA folder. After loading up the game it has returned and is blank as you'd expect. I haven't installed any mods other than BAT.

When I try to run a game (be it load an old game, start a new game, whatever) it starts initialising then gives me the "Civ has encountered a problem and needs to close" popup and crashes to desktop. Just to be clear - Civ loads up the main menu fine, it's just when i try to play a game that it crashes.

Edit: To be doubly clear, vanilla still works like normal - this is only an issue in BTS

Can you please check the size and date of the DLL file?

Code:
C:\Games\Civ 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\CvGameCoreDLL.dll

I'm running 3.13, so I can't compare with you, but I'm wondering if you may have installed an unofficial patch along the way. The sure way to handle this (sucky tho it may be) is to uninstall BtS -- not Civ4, just the expansion -- and reinstall it.

Then you can install BUG 1.0 (works with 3.13 and 3.17) as a mod. It includes an uninstaller so you won't have to go through this in the future, assuming it's BUG that is the problem.

Try backing up and removing the My Docs\My Games\BTS directory and see if you still get the same error please? Is probably easiest to just renam the directory from "Beyond the Sword" to BTS.

Are you sure you made no other changes to the Core BTS game?

The DLL is a 4.66MB file created on the 13th of May, version 3.1.7.0 - sounds about right to me.

Renaming the BTS folder makes the game crash with exactly the same message, but in a slightly different way. While previously I've just had the error message come up over the loading screen, after renaming the mod my entire screen goes black halfway through the loading screen, then the error message comes up. Only a minor difference.

I've made some minor alterations to eg CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml before, but had no problems until i tried removing the CA folder and BAT.ini (oh, and I removed the BAT documentation folder, but presumably that doesn't change anything re the game). I can't recall any other changes.

Is there a simple way to reset the contents of that folder to pre-BAT default? (other than totally reinstalling BTS, which I guess I'll try otherwise).

Thanks for the help so far.

That's just it, the pre-BAT contents of CustomAssets is a bunch of empty directories. If you delete the folder, Civ4 just creates a new set of empty directories for you. The problem cannot be there.

Did you make your changes in the BTS install folder (BTS\Assets\XML\...)? If so, the only way to revert is to reinstall BTS. It's possible that you've made changes to your XML files that rely on BAT.

Unfortunately, Civ4 is entirely useless when it comes to XML problems -- no helpful error message telling you what's wrong. :(

When you delete that folder it should recreate it all from scratch for you. The DLL doesn't sound right for some reason. The date of May 13th was before the 3.17 release IIRC. The size and version are right though. The date I have on that file is 6/14/08. I think you'll need to go with EFs suggestion and reinstall BTS. When you reinstalled BAT, make sure to choose the option for BTS version 3.17, and if you are going to do Solvers patch, do not do the python files, just the .dll

Ok, tomorrow i'll try reinstalling BTS and having a look around to see if i can work out where the conflict was. I guess it's possible that I downloaded a mod some time and just can't remember. Thanks again for the help.

how to add new civilizations to BUG / sevopedia?

BUG and Sevopedia use the standard CivilizationInfo objects loaded from the XML files. You can add them just as you would with stock BTS. Search the main modding and customization forum for a tutorial.

I seem to be unable to get the Score Deltas to work. I have updated the mod folder from SVN, I have placed "Z" in my advance layout. It does not show up on the options for the scoreboard. or in the actual ini file being used for the BUG options. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

Because this new column can be shown in the regular scoreboard, you also must check the "Score Delta" checkbox.

Because this new column can be shown in the regular scoreboard, you also must check the "Score Delta" checkbox.

This should be in the Scoreboard tab of the BUG Options window I assume? I do not have this checkbox on that screen. Part of why I am so puzzled.

This should be in the Scoreboard tab of the BUG Options window I assume?

Yes, it should be the first checkbox in the top-left of the Scoreboard tab. It sounds like you don't have the latest BUG. Are you sure you updated from SVN and installed it appropriately?

If you don't have any other mods installed, you can SVN checkout BUG Mod directly into the "My Games\BTS" folder.

I found the issue. I am running it as an actual mod, and neglected to rename CustomAssets to Assets after the SVN download. Newb mistake. Fortunately your post somehow kicked my brain in the right direction. Thank you for the help.

Not a super easy way given how the Sevopedia code is organized, but I don't think it would be too hard.

Part one is to combine the two lists. You should be able to get both lists and then append the second one to the first (and resort if you want) using list1.extend(list2) IIRC. Don't use list1.append(list2) as that's the wrong function to call.

Next you need to alter how items are added to the list since they won't all be of the same type anymore. This the trickiest part. One way is to build the lists with another data element saying which type the item is. Then you'd need to check this while adding items. Easiest way if you're not very familiar with Python is to simply create two functions for adding elements.

If you give me an idea of your Python experience, I can probably describe better what you need to do targeted at your skill level.

My Python experience is pretty basic; I recently picked up a book that uses Python as the example language to teach a solid foundation to computer science. When I'm a little further in the book, I may revisit this, but for now I fear it is over my head.

I did have another question I'm hoping you can help me with: In another post that I cannot find right now, you provided a method of using a custom graphic in the GameFont.tga file in Python. I am trying to accomplish this by providing a custom anchor graphic to use for my seafaring trait. I added the graphic after the Attitude Icons and am using the following code in TraitUtils.py, but it is not seeming to work.

addTrait("SEAFARING", (CyGame().getSymbolID(FontSymbols.POWER_CHAR) + 10), "Art/Interface/Buttons/TechTree/Sailing.dds")

Could you tell me where I am going wrong? I've attached a screenshot that shows what is happening.

Cheers,
ripple01

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 113
Your Python code is correct. I suspect that you modified the game font file incorrectly.

Open it up again and take a look at the purple gridlines. Notice that the vertical line on the right side of each "valid" character has a green dot in a specific place. You must place the same color of dot to the right of your character. :eek:

Otherwise, feel free to use the anchor that is in BUG's game font file (we added three as-yet-unused icons: tank, anchor and plane).

Top Bottom