Unofficial BTS 3.13 patch

I posted this in the strategy forum and got the suggestion to post it here as well as it might be fixed with the unofficial patch. So I've included my post for reference.

2 vassals by capitulation break free after creating colony, expected?
I didn't play a game of civ in a while, so I decided to play and use all the warlords and BTS goodies. So I got myself 2 vassals by capitulation (never chose that before) and they are on my continent. No one else is there.

Now I'm planning to invade the the other continent with 6 AI. So I conquered a medium sized island just of the coast of that continent and took Justinian, which was created as a colony by Caesar. Once I took it and destroyed Justinian I made peace with Caesar (Justinians master). I then created a colony from that island I just conquered, and to my surprise my two vassals (Mao and Tokugawa) immeadeatly break free and declare war on me.

Now why is that, or is this a bug?

That's a known bug. It's fixed by Bhruic's patch.

Wodan

Has anyone noticed how the AI is overly afraid of privateers? I had an example the other day where the AI civ had upwards of 10 caravels and a couple galleons within striking distance of my privateer (that's been blockading two cities for decades).

I think this needs to be adjusted a little. The AI should realize that it could defeat the single privateer by throwing a couple units at it. I've only had the AI successfully do this once. They threw 3-4 caravels at it, which was enough to take it down (especially if it suffers some damage on the first attack).

I'm thinking the AI must not like the odds of the caravel vs. the privateer enough to attack. It doesn't seem to realize the concept of "strength in numbers" in this scenario. This is strange to me though, since the AI is much more willing to throw obsolete land units at a superior target to defeat it.

I've managed to work around the behavior I posted in the OP. I reloaded the game 1 turn before and created the colony just before I took the last city. After I took it I immediatly gifted it to the new colony, and all was ok.

After that I went on to take on the other opponents. One by one the became vassals, increasingly easier. From third place Gandi I only had to take 1 city and he capitulated. Mansa Musa was kind enough to build the UN and all my vassals voted me into victory.

Next time I'll play it with Bhruic's unofficial patch.

How does that exploit work?

AFAIK, Bhruic's patch has not addressed this issue, but it may have been 'fixed' (or at least limited in its effectiveness) by Firaxis, at least as of Warlords.

You'll probably want to follow up in these threads:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=173468&highlight=subsidies+exploit

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=190280&highlight=subsidies+exploit

That last thread seems to indicate that the AI handles the increase in income by upping its research slider, meaning that it doesn't necessarily treat the new income as trade-bait. Perhaps some experimentation is warranted?

That's probably what I'll do on my next game. Though I'm not sure how upping the research slider fixes that. You can just gift them more GPT since they can only research at 100% at most. Then you cancel all the GPT after 10 turns.

That's probably what I'll do on my next game. Though I'm not sure how upping the research slider fixes that. You can just gift them more GPT since they can only research at 100% at most. Then you cancel all the GPT after 10 turns.

That can amount to quite a lot of GPT for 10 turns, so maybe it's not that beneficial in that case. Still, I wish the AI was smarter in its resource deals. For instance, I wish the AI would not give (a lot) of GPT for a resource that it can barely use. For instance, if the health level is 16 in its cities and the happiness level is 11, then additional health resources shouldn't be very interesting for the AI.

Perhaps it would be easier if the AI would cancel deals on a quid pro quo basis - so if you cancel a deal involving GPT, so will the AI.

Hi there, I just tried to swap in the unofficial patch dll for the first time today and as soon as I a match begins the game crashes to the desktop. I can select and start a game. But then when it starts to load the map I crash to the desk top.

I have a fully, officially patched version of warlords + BtS. I'm not running a cracked executable or anything like that.

I didn't notice any steps in the readme beyond renaming the old dll and swapping in the new, am I still missing something though?

When I swap in the original dll, everything works fine again.

When you say fully patched does that mean you Had the Official BtS 3.13 patch installed? Then you installed Bhruic's?

Or did you have a previous patch like 3.02 or 3.03?

Do you have Blue marble installed.

And this is the Path you put Bhruic's Patch in, C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets

It's the .dll in Assets Folder of the BtS Folder that you place the UOP 3.13 version 1.11 in.

I actually copied the Original .dll to a folder in My Documents and then applied/added Bhruic's. It asked if I wanted to replace the original with the new and I clicked yes. Has been working fine for monyhs now.

Hope you figure it out.

JosEPh

Hi, I didn't read any of the thread but I went through the changes in the patch and they're awesome, I agree with every one of them.
I just have one question/suggestion.. why not have a possibility of partisans spawning if running the Nationalism civic?

Hi, I didn't read any of the thread but I went through the changes in the patch and they're awesome, I agree with every one of them.
I just have one question/suggestion.. why not have a possibility of partisans spawning if running the Nationalism civic?

I originally thought it was what triggered partisans but apparently it's just emancipation. At least it is now that the bugs fixed.

By the way, if an unofficial patch is needed after the second BtS patch, I am planning on doing that again. I can't guarantee that I'll be able to but I certainly want to.

In recognition of your effort towards Civ IV, i specially borrowed Season 4 of the X-Files and, along with the rest of the episodes, watched the episode with the CSM quote in your sig :D

Ahhh good times. :king:

That can amount to quite a lot of GPT for 10 turns, so maybe it's not that beneficial in that case.

Yeah, I was thinking that, too.

@843: I think the other thread says that the AI will up the research slider upon receiving your gift of GPT, so the AI will never agree to a new trade in the first place....

Top Bottom