Korean War Revisited

Patine

Deity
Okay, after quite a while, I'm finally going to tackle finishing the Korean War scenario. Three big things to do:

-Balance it so it ends up more of an air/infantry war than dependent on armour (I think the current idea of certain terrain being impassible to them is a good start).
-Make the Chinese counteroffensive more comparable to the initial North Korean invasion.
-Perhaps put UN unit arrival on a tighter OOB system rather than the current mixed by turn/by advance system. That one's optional.

Any advice or comments are welcome. If anyone wants to try the current version or have a look at it, let me know.

I want to test the current version...but be fast to respond I have only Sunday before the next Friday.

I am glad that time has come for this scenario to be finished.I remind myself of it each time I see the "Units.bmp" file in my graphical collection.

Here you go!

Attachments

• Korean_War.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 676
I'm sure you don't want to start from scratch, but there is a problem with the map. It's vertical dimension is too short. The Korean penninsula is long and relativley narrow, which affects the course of the campaign. With this map, two or three battles and you've arrived at the other end of Korea. Despite this, it's a fun scenario to play, and quite well done. I look forward to your revisions.

Well...I managed to play a couple of rounds.So I have some basic impressions.

First I chose to play with North Korea ... UN didn't standed a chance.Pusan was under the red star in the first turn.

Then I tried the UN (I like the pollution squares at Hiroshima and Nagasaki).I had a lot of trouble fighting off all those offensive infantry units.And I managed to counter-attack in the beggining of 1951.

So here are the things that bother me:

1: Do you think about keeping that "North Korean Defensive Infantry" (NKDI) because it is kind of ... unfair ?! UN doesn't has such units and that NKDI is really messy and one of them can stop 5 Centurions at once (atleast I think so,never tried it) when entrenched on urban square.The only way to efficiently remove it is via air support.

2:Too much North Koreans.I think that it wont be a problem if the NKDI is removed

3:Too few Americans in the UN force.Most units that arrive are from countries like Thailand,Cuba and Pakistan.Aldo most of them had maximum 1000 personel at Korea,USA is supposed to have 300 000 ... I asked wikipedia.And maybe some local events that spawn South Korean infantry.

4:Inchon ends in disaster for the UN.Maybe with some naval units (Crusers,Carriers etc.) it can succeed.

5:True that the vertical dimention is a bit short but I won't compain.I don't wan't getting from Pusan to Seol to be harder.

6:When am I supposed to trigger the Chinese and Soviet interventions via the batch file ?

7:Good Idea about the limited influence of the tanks.It does well ... but I don't know did the Air Force played THAT great role in the war ... but atleast it makes sense.And you can optionally make more mobile infantry units OR make the impassible terrain cost less movement points.

8:I suggest you give a little bit more South Korean units at the start to the UN player so you can transfer them and make some inprovised strongpoints.

9:Rethink the urban terrain bonus of 100% ... I would make that 50%.

10:If you send Kim a nuke ... will the USSR throw some back at you ?

11:Where is the Yalu river ?

12:I suggest giving the UN player the option to choose his flag...I personally would enjoy more the South Korean flag than the UN one but this can easily be modified.

So those were my impressions for those couple of turns.I am sorry if I was rude somewhere in those 12 lines.And don't forget to keep us informed on how the work is going.

:D

I remember from my last playtest that holding back the initial North Korean assault was difficult, but once it was spent the advance up the peninsula was fairly straight forward. The Chinese intervention was a let down. I think masses of powerful alpine movement Infantry would be a good solution as long as they can be kept focused with move unit events.

A few less UN units might make the advance up Korea and resisting the Chinese a bit more of a challenge. I for one don't mind losing on my first few attempts. It shows the scenario is tough and gets me hooked until I can find the formula for victory. I look forward to the next version. :goodjob:

Thanks for the advice, comments, and criticisms, everyone. I'm formulating currently just how I'm going to accomplish my agendas. Some of your above suggestions will likely also be incorporated. I'll see how this turns out.

I figure for the Korean War, and a number of other scenarios, I'm going to need a HD partition of Windows XP. I've tried the Choice.com that Mercator has made available recently on Windows 7, and, despite reports of other people getting it to work, it's just not working for me. That being said, does anyone know where or how to acquire a copy of Windows XP nowadays? I can't find it locally.

What/where is that?

Sorry, meant you Catfish. My mistake. I'm afraid my computer won't accept your choice.com file. I've no idea why.

Sorry, but I still don't know what you're talking about. I've never released a 'Windows 7' version of Choice.com or any version of the file for that matter.

Edit: If you're referring to this point on my FAQ page, then that's plain old regular Win9x Choice.com. As it states in the link, Choice.com is incompatible with 64-bit operating systems.

My apologies. I must have misread your thread. I had thought you had coded a choice.com that worked in a 64-bit environment. My mistake.

I guess I will need a Windows XP partition for sure, then.

You should re-read your own thread. The solution is right there, complete with working example. If this is for the development of your own scenarios, then there's little point in producing obsolete batch files on a 32-bit version of Windows when most of your target players are using 64-bit operating systems.

After a long absence from active Civ 2 work due to other issues in life, I've decided to revisit this scenario and finally get it finished. Really, all that's required is a few clean-ups in terrain improvements, finally getting a workable Chinese invasion that even remotely comes close to the initial North Korean one, and figuring out what to do with the Soviet player and how (and if) to work hypothetical alternate history Soviet intervention (especially if the Americans follow MacArthur's advice and crack out the A-bombs, which I imagine would have triggered a Soviet response had it happened). I've considered making the main Chinese offensive infantry alpine, but I recall someone saying that quality was unfeasable for a massive cross-country computer offensive, I just can't remember why (anyone know about this?). Just thought I'd drop an update.

The two previous bursts of free-time I reported above ended up fizzling out due to real life. I should have some free time now to finish this (or give it a good try), but before I dedicate the effort, is anyone still interested in this one? My last post announcing renewed work got no responses. Let me know if you'd like to see this finished.

I enjoyed the playtest I did a few years back. The initial North Korean attack was very well done. If you can get the Chinese intervention to work as well this will be a great scenario. Don't be afraid use the events and AI stats to make the scenario as tough as possible for the player. I would like to play this scenario again once it is finished. Good luck!

By all means, please try to find the time and energy to finish the scen. The trickle of of new scens is so small nowadays so any addition is very welcome. :)

I played the alpha version of your scenario a few years back and remember enjoying it quite a bit. I concur with McMonkey that the North Korean invasion is very well recreated but that the Chinese intervention is a little lackluster. I believe you should be able to rectify that through the event file.

The only true criticism I had, in my personal opinion, was that I found the map a little too small. But I would fully understand if you weren't willing to increase its size because that's a LOT of work.

In the end, if you build it I for one will certainly come and play it. Keep us posted and good luck!

Top Bottom