Emperor Challenge: Spain, The wonder Years

phillipwyllie

Wannabe Deity
I rolled an interesting start playing as Spain on a Pangaea map with King Solloman's mines nearby which can be a Petra city. Since I use a few mods I had to save the map and re-roll so I don't know who you'll get, except I know Shaka's in the game! Also I tweaked the map slightly in world Builder to have marble near King Solloman's Mines(changed from stone to marble), and made one of the NW settle-able. I've provided the map file as well in case you don't like the line-up, or want to play on another level. All I'll say is head east and be quick, and have fun.

Onto the challenge(s):
  1. You must have built(not captured) %75 of all Ancient/Classical wonders by the time you hit the Medieval era.
  2. You must build(not captured) all the wonders associated with a policy tree and your chosen ideology.

Instructions to play the map file
There's some talk you must go through the mods menu. You don't need to do that in this case as there is only 2 fixed starting locations which is yours, and 1 CS.
  • Put the map file in your maps folder
  • In single player mode Select your civ
  • In the map selection part select 'Additional Maps' and select SolliesMines.civ5map
  • In the advance settings set what options you want an play, you'll always be in the same location

Attachments

• Spain-WonderYears.rar
    315.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Spain-WonderYesrs.jpg
    Spain-WonderYesrs.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 307
Do you have to build (early) wonders for trees that you do not (and never will) follow?

Failed and quit first time after about turn 25; second time: 10 of 13 (77%) - but not sure if 75% required buildings for Liberty and Tradition both. If so 10 of 14 (71%). (But same could be said of Honor / SoZ). (National Wonders would do the opposite - raise the percentages.)

One (possibly easily fixable) turn off of 11 of 13/14/15.

(Spoiler as Tech order can be assumed from wonder order: )
Spoiler :

• (34: Pantheon Monument of the Gods)
  • 35: Great Library (Pick ?Mining? ?Archery? as free tech - forgot which - not what you'd normally go for!)
  • 42: Stonehedge
  • 49: ToA
  • 62: Hanging Gardens
  • (74: religion)
  • 76: Petra
  • 87: Oracle
  • 92: MoH
  • 97: GLighthouse
  • (99?: miss Terracota A to Pedro by one turn; partially pre-built?)
  • (103: Statue of Zeus - Napoleon)
  • 107: Great Wall
  • 111: Colossus
  • (?: Brazil? Parthenon - I was nowhere close to that Tech in time)
Got all of the wonders I tried for the entire game except TArmy. Didn't try for Alhambra - the 20% culture would have helped. Skipped Louvre and such as they were not needed. ~36 wonders (this include NC, etc).

At times had 3 great Engineers sitting around waiting. But I forgot to do Uffizi though I was so far ahead at the time it could have been slow-built, let alone use the GEs. So I failed the challenge.

If I'd cash bought stone works a bit earlier (I was too cheap) or been more careful about assigning tiles, TA would likely have been there too.

Turned the game into an amusing OCC. Would have been a faster victory if I'd build 2-4 cities after Hermitage (or possibly earlier and buy buildings). Happiness was roughly monotonic, ending near 140+.

Won diplo; afterwards 'did' Science and Culture (It will let you buy/build space ship parts, but you can't assemble them.) Had 25k & 300+/turn gold to buy parts - and to pass Nuclear Proliferation after buying 8 Nuc. Missiles. Got Hubble Telescope despite having gone all the way to Globalization and Internet first.

The combination "bombing" a city with a GM (causing a war), followed by a Nuke the same turn to make it disappear (and the Atom Bombs Pedro had there, probably destined for me) has irony (this was after the win; I usually hate using Nukes).

Method:
Spoiler :
  • Settler East, settle on Marble (is that a bug that the benefit seems available before the tech is researched?)
  • Send warrior along coast south, find wonder, then explore - keep going east if you can.
  • Thus, have 1000gold, buy worker, grainery (maybe another worker).
  • Tradition -> Aristocracy (15% on wonders)
  • Hard build worker waiting for anything else.
  • Farms until you get mining. Build mines as fast as you can. Farms. Luxury later to get gold.
  • Don't care if you run a negative gpt (you'll still have cash) as you'll get Colossus and soon be swimming in money.
  • Build Archers and a scout or two while waiting for Tech to start next wonder.
  • Fit mining in the first chance that you can w/o delaying wonders (forgot when).
  • When Nappy gets antsy, upgrade to CBs. You have the GWall!

Some math:
Spoiler :
[1 + .15 (Marble) + .15(Aristocracy) + .15 (MonumentTTGods)] * [ (Spain (2*) King Solomon's Mines (6)) + normal mines(9) + city(1) + palace(3) + stoneworks(1)] becomes 1.45 * (12 + 9 + 1 + 3 + 1) == 37.7. More with Petra.

If OCCing:
Spoiler :

• After about turn 100 you only need 1 worker. A while later you need 0.
  • Don't try to win World's Fair - just get a policy. Don't try the others.
  • Freedom. But the only two policies you really need are Civil Society and Avant Guard. Do social policies before most of the rest. Universal Healthcare and Universal Suffrage are probably the next best two. Treaty Org. not necessary as you will have more gold than needed. You'll also want you spy's as diplomats to swing votes like Ideo.
  • Use all GA and GW for policies / golden ages (save for good times): With 100-140 happiness you don't need to worry about Ideo's and if you want to go Culture, all those Wonders are better than artifacts/works of art (had 5 - but some of those were free with buildings. Should have done no GWA). Finished 5 policy trees + 7 tenents, more after diplo win.
  • Get Freedom and your religion as the official ones. Your "friends" will not like you.
  • Religion: MttGods/Tithe/Mosques/Divine Inspiration/Religious Unity). The RU part as all CSs *were* going to be mine. Something else might have made more sense.
Others could have done much better.
You'll also get the Steam achievement "Greed is Good".

When I thought of the challenges I sort of came up with the numbers. I just wanted to share the map as I had an interesting time playing it over and over again. I suspect %75 is probably too much.
As long as you had fun.

Top Bottom