Carrier Promotions?

vorlon_mi

Emperor
Trying to make sense out of the promotions for carriers.

They can't attack cities, so taking that promotion doesn't make any sense. Nor do they attack other ships, so boarding party doesn't make sense. I'd like to get to the one which adds mobility, but to add experience, you need to engage in combat.

So, what? Let them get plinked by a city state or caravel, just for the experience?
Seems kinda risky.

Only ever build them in a city that already has barracks, armory, and military academy so that they get multiple promotions right from the start? Seems pretty limiting.

The only two promotions I've seen when I've built carriers for the initial promotions are increase armor & increase capacity and in my book besides supply there the only ones you need

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Did the promotions change with BNW? Those promotions don't look familiar to me.

They must have because with armory barracks and academy depending on the purpose of the carrier I go +1 cap +1 cap and then supply. If there is limited uranium in the game and I can get non-proliferation going I'll do armor armor and the capacity or supply then put a net of subs around it to keep it safe

The only promotions I'd ever place on Carriers are ones adding capacity so it can hold more fighters.
I also note that carriers usually don't see much combat; have the city you are building it from be maxed out in XP granting buildings first.

Well the armor situation I described was very situational. My main coastal city wound up blocked by ice so I just had to watch out for subs. If it was open I would have left my nukes on the interior of my empire.

They changed the promotions for the carriers with BNW, and they are now specific for these ship, which is logical IMHO. It's highly recommended to have barracks+armor (if possible, Brandenburg Gate) in the city where they are built, to gain the promotions (up to 5 plane slots or mobility). Since they can't attack by themselves, they hardly gain experience unless they're attacked.
I noticed also it's almost useless to capture carriers with privateers, due to the loss of the promotions when sized. Carriers with only 2 plane slots are not very usefull, maybe to carry aircraft to a remote base.

They changed the promotions for the carriers with BNW, and they are now specific for these ship, which is logical IMHO. It's highly recommended to have barracks+armor (if possible, Brandenburg Gate) in the city where they are built, to gain the promotions (up to 5 plane slots or mobility). Since they can't attack by themselves, they hardly gain experience unless they're attacked.
I noticed also it's almost useless to capture carriers with privateers, due to the loss of the promotions when sized. Carriers with only 2 plane slots are not very usefull, maybe to carry aircraft to a remote base.

One city with the boring Military Academy much better than getting into a wonder race with the AI just for a few more XP.

Hum, I didn't know prizing was causing the ships I captured to lose all promotions; I just thought the AI was so bad it was building ships in cities that didn't even have barracks.

Never noticed that before

"I gave him a favorable peace deal"
"oh?"
"yeah, I let him live."

If I am using battleships to take coastal cities then I only need carriers for the air cover. Assuming autocracy and full military buildings I'd go with three armor plating for defense. Two triplanes with interception II and extra sortie can take out four great war bombers per turn. This is plenty to keep your battleships safe. Battleships do much better damage to cities than bombers off a carrier. Once you've taken all his coastal cities you can go after the interior cities with high capacity carriers and bombers since they will be safe from naval attack.

I noticed also it's almost useless to capture carriers with privateers, due to the loss of the promotions when seized.

I also did not realize that this was a designed side-effect. Thanks for that!

If a loaded carrier is captured, do you get the planes? I have never been able to pull that off, but have had only a couple opportunities to try it (and the carrier sunk both times).

One city with the boring Military Academy much better than getting into a wonder race with the AI just for a few more XP.

I disagree as BG has become my favorite wonder after ignoring it for most of my play. It begs for the city to also have a Military Academy. Unless have a social policy that gives +15 XP everywhere, it should IMHO be a priority, and even at Immortal/Deity you can snag it pretty reliably. It is very practical, and a lot of fun!

Units are born with three promotions instead of two, so for units that won’t see combat (like carriers) BG is about the only way you will have that. Helicopters and planes can start with repair so that makes them much more effective. Your BG bomber will get 30xp for its fourth promotion faster than the non-BG bomber will get the 15xp it needs for its third. It’s great!

Also related, why can subs pick the land attack promotion?

Subs don't have the land attack anymore, it's replaced by the "wolfpack" promotion which increases attack.

If a loaded carrier is captured, do you get the planes? I have never been able to pull that off, but have had only a couple opportunities to try it (and the carrier sunk both times).

I don't remember well, but I'm pretty sure you lose the planes. If anybody can confirm that..

Also, it's possible to capture a nuclear submarine with a privateer, even whitout the tech. All the subs I could catch didn't carry nuclear missiles, but if it was the case, they would also disappear during the boarding party.

I disagree as BG has become my favorite wonder after ignoring it for most of my play.

About the Military Academy: this building applies only to land units if I'm not mistaken? So naval units will not get the extra XP.

But BG is hard to get if civ with cavalry UU are in the game, as they will beeline it (hello Morroco and Shoshone!)

Military Academy and Brandenburg Gate provide XP for all units built in the city -- land, sea and air.

Top Bottom