Scorched earth policy?

STEINMAN1000

Chieftain
I got caught flat footed when Alex DOW me. I am in a position where I will have to fight a defensive war on one front, for now. Has anyone ever used scorched earth policy like the Soviets used in WWII against the Germans? My thinking is to withdraw to a tactical position of strength and pillage any possible resources Alex could use, I am in future era with access to all possible weapons except nukes. My thinking is to preserve my units, stretch him out, and then hit from two, possibly three fronts.

Too much thinking on my part???

Thanks for any input.

Also, have defensive pact with Boudica, and she has DOW Alex, although no movement or attack on her part, yet, only two turns into this WWI.

If this is a serious, serious threat, here are some last ditch defense tactics. Scorched earth isn't really that helpful short of maybe cutting roads behind the stack to slow down reinforcements once he takes that first city.

If his first target is a weak city on flat ground, you can just let him walk in and take over. It may actually be easier to wipe out his stack there once you get your crap together since a city in revolt doesn't give him much defense bonus, and your CR tanks/arty will be more effective overall. Let him bomb the city defenses to about 10% before you move everything out though, to buy more time. If he takes over and you still aren't ready, be ready to hold him off in the next city. He'll have to leave some garrison behind in the previous city, and the fewer units in his stack, the easier it will be for you to kill it.

Zero out your sliders, Rush-buy artillery and bombers. Anything that can do collateral damage is your friend, but make sure not to waste bombers against his air defense until you are ready for a major assault. A few cruise missiles aren't a bad idea in lieu of nukes, since they are cheap and 100% reliable for damaging top units.

Sacrifice workers (or weak units left over from ancient times) out in the open to lure units out of his stack. Put a worker two (or three tiles if he brings attack choppers) away and pick off the units he sends out to nab them. You can always make more workers later.

Don't rely on Boudica. The AI is usually an a-hole when it comes to honoring defensive pacts. You may never see a single attack on Alex from her.

Oh, and good luck! You may need it :p

Thanks for the input. I kinda did what you suggested. I was able to cut roads and rails in FRONT of his advance, that slowed him considerably. Initially lost two cities, but was able to regain them, and more when I was able to get reinforcements to the front. I was also able to open a second front on the other side of his country, thus surprisingly, making him move some of his stack to deal with it. Oh, Boudica was actually a big help, as she conquered 2 of his cities, further splitting his forces. Together, we have all but eliminated Alex from the game. I have learned much during this WWI!!

I got caught flat footed when Alex DOW me. I am in a position where I will have to fight a defensive war on one front, for now. Has anyone ever used scorched earth policy like the Soviets used in WWII against the Germans? My thinking is to withdraw to a tactical position of strength and pillage any possible resources Alex could use, I am in future era with access to all possible weapons except nukes. My thinking is to preserve my units, stretch him out, and then hit from two, possibly three fronts.

Too much thinking on my part???

Thanks for any input.

Also, have defensive pact with Boudica, and she has DOW Alex, although no movement or attack on her part, yet, only two turns into this WWI.
Interesting idea, but dosen't work in Civ. Civ already uses the scorched earth policy naturally. Attackers can't use enemy roads or resources until they control multiple cities in the area for several turns (cities are mostly uselesss right after capture).

If you can't fight him head on,then you should try to bait his stack to your best fortifications. It will be much harder for you to win if you hold back long enough to let your captured cities go out of anarchy.

If this is a serious, serious threat, here are some last ditch defense tactics. Scorched earth isn't really that helpful short of maybe cutting roads behind the stack to slow down reinforcements once he takes that first city.

If his first target is a weak city on flat ground, you can just let him walk in and take over. It may actually be easier to wipe out his stack there once you get your crap together since a city in revolt doesn't give him much defense bonus, and your CR tanks/arty will be more effective overall. Let him bomb the city defenses to about 10% before you move everything out though, to buy more time. If he takes over and you still aren't ready, be ready to hold him off in the next city. He'll have to leave some garrison behind in the previous city, and the fewer units in his stack, the easier it will be for you to kill it.

Zero out your sliders, Rush-buy artillery and bombers. Anything that can do collateral damage is your friend, but make sure not to waste bombers against his air defense until you are ready for a major assault. A few cruise missiles aren't a bad idea in lieu of nukes, since they are cheap and 100% reliable for damaging top units.

Sacrifice workers (or weak units left over from ancient times) out in the open to lure units out of his stack. Put a worker two (or three tiles if he brings attack choppers) away and pick off the units he sends out to nab them. You can always make more workers later.

Don't rely on Boudica. The AI is usually an a-hole when it comes to honoring defensive pacts. You may never see a single attack on Alex from her.

Oh, and good luck! You may need it :p

All good advice. However, I will add that if you want Boudica to make an effort open diplomacy and tell her a target to attack which seems to aid the AI in mobilizing its forces. Pick a reasonable target. I have pretty good luck doing this and can even see the AI as great war partners.

All good advice. However, I will add that if you want Boudica to make an effort open diplomacy and tell her a target to attack which seems to aid the AI in mobilizing its forces. Pick a reasonable target. I have pretty good luck doing this and can even see the AI as great war partners.

Yup. Bismarak is a fantastic vassal because he adopts nationhood. Mark a city and he'll take it.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Quick question...would you reccomend defensive pacts with AGG AI's? Anyone specific to avoid making defensive pacts with, like Ghandi (that was a waste)?

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Quick question...would you reccomend defensive pacts with AGG AI's? Anyone specific to avoid making defensive pacts with, like Ghandi (that was a waste)?

Depends in the situation, but yes. Probably the best one to DefPac with in my experiance is Shaka. Of course you need to make sure your military is up to snuff and you maintain excellant relations with him, or else you become his next meal :lol:.

Interesting, when I granted colony status to my island cities, they became Shaka! Has not been much help, yet, but will be useful in the future. :cool:

Interesting, when I granted colony status to my island cities, they became Shaka! Has not been much help, yet, but will be useful in the future. :cool:

Who are you playing as? I think I remember reading something about the colony being partly dependent on the civ you are playing as.

Top Bottom