civ 5 roads and trade routes

marley fox

Chieftain
hi all
i'm new to civ 5 and civ fanatics site so if i've posted this in the wrong place please accept my appologies.i've got some questions about roads.

1. how do you build roads,i know in civ 4 that you could click and keep mouse button pressed down and then drag from one city to the other and the workers would build the road.

2. whats the difference between " route to mode " and build road

3. how do you know if your cities are conected by the roads

4. how do you set up trade routes

thanks in advance:)

route to mode tells the worker to make a road from the spot they are to the spot you tell them. This is not always a straight line unfortunately. They can sometimes run to another city connected via road and then start from there. So don't use it unless you know it'll route properly.

workers build roads. It's in their builder options when you have them selected (+ have wheel researched)

trade routes are from the capital to each city. You know they are connected if there is a triangle of dots right below the name of the city. yes you can connect one city to another to get the trade route (network of cities/roads) or use harbours if you're going across water. (harbours can be blockaded, so watch out for that)

Keep in mind that Roads now cost you 1 :c5gold: each per turn.
So make the shortest route yourself, do not automate roads.

Also, they are not cost efficient until your cities have matured some (5+ is when I ususally get the first ones down). They still hold a significant strategic value, but you really want to weigh that benefit vs. cost early on if your cities are still small (3 or less).

May be a dumb question, but I read something about building caravans and such stuff..

Once I connected 2 cities via a road, is the trade route automatically created, or do I have to do anything? Also: Can I create a trade route to another empire's city?
Do "trade outposts" ("Handelsposten" in the German localization) have any influence, are they required for the trade route to perform, or do they just increase my income by being there, like a farm?

(I'm playing the game without any addons/expansions/DLCs)

If you are playing the vanilla game, you cannot create trade routes with other civilizations. Once two of your cities are connected, you do form a trade route. Trading posts have no effect on trade route income -- they just generate gold on their own.

May be a dumb question, but I read something about building caravans and such stuff..

Once I connected 2 cities via a road, is the trade route automatically created, or do I have to do anything? Also: Can I create a trade route to another empire's city?
Do "trade outposts" ("Handelsposten" in the German localization) have any influence, are they required for the trade route to perform, or do they just increase my income by being there, like a farm?

(I'm playing the game without any addons/expansions/DLCs)

Caravans and Cargo Ships were added to the game in the Brave New World expansion. They are not available in the base game.

Welcome to CivFanatics!

Top Bottom