One City Achievement?

sturgeon

Chieftain
What are the limitations on the ‘One City’ achievement?

[1] I read that it’s OK to Culture-flip a city, but is it OK to take a city through war?

[2] Is it OK to take a Settler unit from another civ. and ‘build’ a city? Or would this negate the achievement?

[3] I read that if you Culture-flip a city you cannot ‘build anything’ in that city? Is that true? That city is relegated to science or gold production only?

I play on the iPad, Achievements are not supported, but am interested in knocking them out anyway.

Im not sure..
but OCC can be done pure - ie you only build 1 city total and dont flip anything (at least not on purpose). As long as you have a decent settling spot for your cap.
I used to do it on the game of the week and would finish maybe 1400-1600ad ish on a decent map. Obviously you want to grab all those key wonders.

As a traditional OCC, you cannot capture or have more than one city at any time. That's how I play them. If you have more than one city, it is not really a 'One City' achievement.

1) obviously not - that's proactive city acquisition
2) obviously not - that's proactive city construction
3) sounds like almost the best solution to unintentionally gaining a city (emphasis on unintentional - if the city flipped due to aggressive cultural output with that objective foremost in mind then you lose). The best solution to my mind would be to produce Culture - providing that that is unlikely to have a knock on culture flip effect - but then, to be honest if all unintentionally culturally gained cities merely produce culture it really should have little effect on the spirit of the game in all but the freakiest cases. As a final note a culturally acquired city ought to have the placement of population on the city view so as to minimise the gain of commerce, culture, tax, science, espionage - in fact ideally the population would be placed so as to gain merely the food required to support the existing population *and nothing more*.

(This is in the absence of an abandon city option on your game version - I'm fairly sure in Civ 4 there is the option to not accept the city in the first place which is the best solution, though I've never refused and have no idea what happens if you do so - and has placed me thinking about what should happen to abandoned/razed cities)

One City is not achievement it's the know how and hoe to abuse "D Actually evem if Oxford sucks I would dare to say that 2 cities R always BETTER than 1 city ! xD

When I play a OCC, any flipped cities chain-produce Settlers to emigrate to my proper city for the whole game, even if the population maxes out.

Then how would you stop them from producing culture, science, or wealth?

Well, you can't, but it at least plays in the spirit of OCC.

Then how would you stop them from producing culture, science, or wealth?

Culture- Don't build any culture buildings, There will not be any to start with because they get destroyed when a city changes hands. The only way there would be culture is if the city contains a Wonder. This is rare as the city has to be built near your cap to get flipped and AI usually builds Wonders in its first and second cities. Also, bigger cities which contain Wonders usually do not get flipped because they are not at a large cultural disadvantage. Of course, I am assuming that you are doing OCC in Democracy. If not, you are doing it wrong!

Science and Money: If the city is small, no problem. Non-working citizens only produce hammers if your city size <=6. If it is bigger, try to put everyone on forests, hills and mountains. Use production to build defensive units and leave them in the flipped city. If you unavoidably start producing trade, make it money, then put yourself on a program of rushing units in the city to burn off the money it is making.

For my part, I do not consider any culture flip in an OCC to threaten its OCC status so long as you take care not to gain advantage from having the city. It is silly to worry about what you intended or if your culture is aggressive. One of my favorite OCC strats is to build up my cultural borders and get the Great Wall. This keeps the AI out of my hair for a while since its units cannot enter my territory and its Settlers cannot settle amid my culture.

Obviously conquering cities is right out in an OCC game. Culture flips can result from the AI stupidly placing its city too close to your cap. Conquest is something you have to go out of your way to do. Incidentally, after the GW wears off, I like to have a "Get Off My Lawn" Knight Army or two to discourage visitors.

Top Bottom