The Ransom Mod (BTS 3.19)

stolenrays

Deity
The Ransom Mod v1.2 (BTS 3.19)

This small modcomp makes it so that when Barbarians capture a city, they ransom the owners to get the city back.

--------Details--------------
-Barbarians will Ransom captured cities for :gold: if you can pay.
-Ransom :gold: Amount based on Wonders, Population, & Buildings in the city.
-You may refuse the ransom and then the barbarians simply take/raze the city.
-Message alerts you to barbarians leaving the vicinity.
-Barbarian Ransoming probability scales for Difficulty.
-Barbarian City Defense Modifier scales for Difficulty.

-------For Modmakers-------
-GlobalDefines.xml entries for ransoming based on Wonders, Population, & Buildings along with another one for a Base Barbarian City Defense Modifier.
-Changed C++ files are included
-SDK Changes are commented as Ransom Mod

-------Version History-------
Spoiler :

-------Version 1.2-----------
-Added a Checkbox option

-------Version 1.1-----------
-GLobalDefines Ransom :gold: per Captial City & Holy City Added
-Concept Text added
-Readme & Changelog Text added

-------Version 1.0-----------
-Standalone Ported from Conqueror's Delight/Test of Time

-------Credits-----------
Credits go to DPII. I took the code out of his mods and playtested it to get it working.

DOWNLOAD

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0031.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0031.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 165
Hmm, don't you think the ransom gold is abit miserable?
15 gold to trade for a city seems an obvious choice what to do, unless you hate the city that much that you purposely let the barbs take over :D

Yes, 15 is pretty low. There were no buildings in it, wonders, etc. though. I have added, but not released a version, gold modifiers for if a city is a holy city or the capital.

In addition, ransoming happens for every unit that enters the city. So if two barb units take the city, you ransom twice. In the screenshot you will notice there are 4 barbs in the city. They actually ransomed me 4x15 for 60 gold.

Then I will suggest maybe the total ransom is calculated and the player is only asked once, whether to pay 60 gold or none, rather than asked 4 times for 15 gold each.

Because if the player paid the first 3 times, and realised he does not have enough to pay the last ransom, then it is gonna be weird => So why did I bother to pay the first 3 times, since I still need to pay ALL the ransom before the city is returned to me.

I believe this will also be problematic to the AI as well, does the AI know it has to pay all the 4 ransoms before it gets the city back?
Humans can probably calculate manually and either pay all or none.

Then I will suggest maybe the total ransom is calculated and the player is only asked once, whether to pay 60 gold or none, rather than asked 4 times for 15 gold each.

Because if the player paid the first 3 times, and realised he does not have enough to pay the last ransom, then it is gonna be weird => So why did I bother to pay the first 3 times, since I still need to pay ALL the ransom before the city is returned to me.

I believe this will also be problematic to the AI as well, does the AI know it has to pay all the 4 ransoms before it gets the city back?
Humans can probably calculate manually and either pay all or none.

Hmm. I think the AI does its best to get the city back. Ransoming makes the barbarian disapear so sound like a wise move to me even with a stack of barbs.

Posteve a new version.

That's a very good idea ! Losing a city in the beginning of a game can spoil it.

Top Bottom