Egypt?

WideCoast

Warlord
Hey!

I found an egypt "guide" on the net and it said:

"Suggested Policies: Tradition, Piety, Exploration"

So is this valid info? I can understand Trad and Piety aswell, but Explo? I thought it was for coastal empires? :confused:

Thanks in advance! :)

Could you post a link to the guide?

Tradition is pretty strong for any civ; the other two are circumstantial. I guess with Egypt's unique building there would be some synergy to piety??? Can't see why exploration is particularly suited to them at all.

May have recommended Exploration for Louvre and the finisher (hidden antiquity sites)? Not the best advice, IMO, but not wholly irrational (although adding Aesthetics would make far more sense, if that was the logic).

Tradition is pretty strong for any civ; the other two are circumstantial. I guess with Egypt's unique building there would be some synergy to piety??? Can't see why exploration is particularly suited to them at all.

Here's the link

I'v been using it allmost allways when trying to figure out what to do with a CiV.

Well going to try a first CV ever as Egypt anyway. Will check back later what you say, but going to open trad in the mean time :)

My favorite civ. I use it when I want to try something new or weird. Also, each HoF with free civ is an Egypt game at first.

Unless the people making posts on the Internet about Civ can tell you how quickly they are winning games and on what level, don't even consider their advice. Hence, the Game-of-the-months on Civfanatics is the BEST way to find out who to listen to on single-player. Look at who is winning them, then read all of their posts! It is that easy to get good at civ!!! Also when the Civ league was active, the rankings list was the BEST way to find out who to listen to on multiplayer.

DISCLAIMER: high-horsing :deadhorse: but much-needed elitistism:

Like most complicated games, most amateurs think they are geniuses at the game until they find really good players and get crushed. The first few times they get crushed they will rationalize it was luck or they were tired or some other factor... it takes several severe beatings for them to realize they are not masters at the game, assuming they are not delusional, in which case they will still consider themselves masters. But in the meantime they will post all over the Internet about what they think are super-duper strategies, that often are just inferior... even comical.:sheep:

Then after they get crushed, realizing (or not) that they really don't know how to play the game, then they rationalize it by criticizing the strategists and saying the game should only be played for "fun" and not to do batter. :)

Yeah well.. I went Trad->Piety and noticed that I was too late for Sacred Sites and now I'm struggling with CV. Indonesia and Persia even beats me to tourism atm by 1. I'm trying to get my religion to pass as world religion, but I doubt I'll succeed and Persia+Indonesia both have more wonders than I do and I only have one antique site in my borders. So I lost this one? I'm playing emperor aswell.

I wouldn't shoot for Sacred Sites at Emperor level. It's too inconsistent. King is the highest I can consistantly get everything needed for a turn 150ish sacred site win.

I wouldn't shoot for Sacred Sites at Emperor level. It's too inconsistent. King is the highest I can consistantly get everything needed for a turn 150ish sacred site win.

I guess I learned that the hard way.. :D I'm aswell pretty sure that the only way for me to win this one anymore is to get rid of Persia for good. He keeps getting a lot more culture than I get tourism that it's ridiculous. The difference for him was like 10k and now after playing it again for a while it's 20k :(

CV is probably the most difficult victory condition to win. I would recommend completing Aesthetics instead of Piety, and then saving up your faith to purchase great musicians near the end of the game. 1000 faith buys you one, 2500 will get you two, and 5000 will allow you to purchase three. Try to purchase them after you've won international games, if at all possible, since their concert tour value is determined by how much tourism you're generating when they spawn. Aesthetics gives a number of other very useful bonuses when going for a CV as well, such as +25% artist/musician/writer generation and double theming bonuses. Speaking of, are you making sure to get theming bonuses whenever possible?

Piety, or at least part of it, is pretty useful for Egypt. You get your excellent UB and its prerequisite building at half the cost, and you can get two extra benefits to it. Whether it is worth completing the Piety tree (or even go further than the opener) depends on other circumstances.

CV is probably the most difficult victory condition to win. I would recommend completing Aesthetics instead of Piety, and then saving up your faith to purchase great musicians near the end of the game. 1000 faith buys you one, 2500 will get you two, and 5000 will allow you to purchase three. Try to purchase them after you've won international games, if at all possible, since their concert tour value is determined by how much tourism you're generating when they spawn. Aesthetics gives a number of other very useful bonuses when going for a CV as well, such as +25% artist/musician/writer generation and double theming bonuses. Speaking of, are you making sure to get theming bonuses whenever possible?

Yeah I just got theming bonuses, prolly like atleast ~50 turns late on earliest of them. I got the opener and I lost international game, because I only noticed it when it was 42% complete and only got 3rd place :sad: I guess I'll need to try and complete Aesthetics then, I got 6 on Freedom already so I guess the rest of the tenets ain't so good, because imo I took already everything helping CV from there.

Egypt's UA is about wonder building, where the biggest advantage is in the Ancient/Classical eras. If you manage to settle Thebes near marble and take the Monuments to the Gods pantheon then most of the ancient/classical wonders will be yours. 2 side effects to this, however and that's the other AIs will covet your wonders and you'll never get cultural heritage sites passed(the one that give +3 culture to world wonders).
Egypt's UB gives you +2 happiness which means you can settle a few more cities then you'd normally, again the advantage is early on.
Egypt's UU is what's the polite word? There is none so militarily speaking there's no real advantage there.

To answer your question about CV, there are other civs much better suited a CV than Egypt as you don't need to build all the cultural wonders to win by a CV. In fact try the sacred sites reformation belief method or Polynesia, CV is achievable without even building a single cultural wonder. Babylon(as is Korea) is another contender as well as you can beeline the cultural techs way before the AI to snag all them cultural wonders.

Egypt's UU is what's the polite word? There is none so militarily speaking there's no real advantage there.

Egypt's UU is awesome, it delivers one of the most potent early rushes in the game, almost on a par with the Huns.

I would rather go with the aesthetics for cv.as for wonders,build pyramids,colossus,east india company.Basically building wonders gives you great culture boost but build many mines to boost up production and build a decent army just in case a.l.decides to attack early.chariots are great for early defense unit.those are some of my tips for playing Egypt.

Hey!

I found an egypt "guide" on the net and it said:

"Suggested Policies: Tradition, Piety, Exploration"

So is this valid info? I can understand Trad and Piety aswell, but Explo? I thought it was for coastal empires? :confused:

Thanks in advance! :)

Tradition: Works well for everyone including Egypt. I suppose the reference here is that Tradition's wonder bonus stacks with Egypt's UA.

Piety: Not seeing anything about Egypt's UA or UB making Piety more appealing than standard civ (Egypt does NOT have Poland's free culture policies to play with nor does it have Byzantine bonus Religious belief)

Exploration: Nothing about Egypt suggests Exploration more than standard civ. If anything, Egypt's UB makes the happiness source from top left Exploration less likely to be needed.
Opener of Exploration is great if you are planning on completing Aesthetics; but that is for every civ.

you'll never get cultural heritage sites passed(the one that give +3 culture to world wonders).

I disagree. There's always another civ with wonders which helps you to have it, because you can't have all ancient/classical/medieval wonders.
On Emperor it's easy to have word fair + cultural heritage sites on.

Top Bottom