When do you settle your second city

AlphaShard

Emperor
I'm a Epic and Huge map player who tends to play on Warlord level, that being said I tend to bee line the Liberty tree to get to the free Settler. Usually my first build is the Monument followed by a scout, after that I tend to change it depending on what civ I am playing sometimes another scout, sometimes changing between Shrine or Granary. I like the Liberty tree as it allows me to build things while going for the settler with culture.

What is more optimal though? Should settlers be the 4th or 5th build?

In Civ IV I would try to get a second city by 3000 BC, in Civ V that can be later like 2500 BC. I always feel like I'm struggeling to figure out what I should build next I know I need to get units out to at least defend my land from Barbs, workers to improve the tiles, etc.

So what is the optimal time you feel is good to have a second city up?

I don't know if this scales at all to Epic & Huge, but on normal speed & standard map size (which I always play on), I try to time my second city to be founded around the time of improving the second unique luxury type near the capital. I don't count the number of builds in; I just know that on standard map size you're asking for a severe early growth problem if following the second city being built you don't get a second luxury type very quickly.

I like to settle second city asap regardless of VC and choice of SP-path.

Scout/Monument/Settler is my typical default build order.

Sometimes I proceed making other settlers in my second city while building army and stuff in the capital.

I don't know if it's right but I like havin my citys in best possible spots and make them big and beautiful sooner rather then later.

I play Immortal level.

Like the third, asap.

Mine : Scout/Monument/Scout/Shrine/Granary/Settler/Settler. A fourth if I have enough luxs.

I play HoF and GOTM level. :D (If someone have an idea to extend a day to 36 hours instead of 24, it'll be very nice).

Play in normal speed/normal size on immortal.

Trying to get my 2nd city ASAP so : munument/scout/worker/warrior/worker or settler depend on the map.

At turn 40 u should have 2 other city settled (one from liberty, one from capital). It's vital in last difficulty level, otherwise the AI overflow u very quick..

Liberty is surrely a "must have" doctrine in high difficulty level, a free settler and a free worker is just so usefull that u can't miss it.

I'll almost always get a National College before expanding.

I've taken to doing that too. I play on Warlord too, OP. I beeline Writing to open up the Great Library, get it, and then construct National College, before pumping out settlers.

I tend to found my second city around the time I'm have improved and are working all the resources around my capital. If I have a bad city site, with 3 or 4 resources, that typically means I'm going Liberty and head for the free Settler. If I have a good city site, it might mean that my capital is size 10 (and typically has the NC) before I start expanding. The exception would be if there is a really great city site somewhat close by.

Nowadays my usual build order is:
Scout -> Monument -> Shrine -> Settler -> Settler

So in other words:
I expand quickly

I typically play standard map size and time on prince level.

I also get the free settler then free worker policies.

I like to build: monument/warrior/shrine/settler/pyramids/warrior

Of course things depend on whats happening around me. I often have another warrior in there to deal with barbarians. Pyramids (two free workers), the free policy worker and taking workers from barbarians and other civs means i rarely ever build a worker.

I wish taking a settler from another civ gave you a settler instead of a worker. It really cripples other civs when you take their first settler.

Usually after i get NC, but if i have the gold to rush library and forests to chop i might make a settler before NC.

Playing on standard at immortal, I usually wait until cap is size 5 to build a settler and only after granary, caravan and usually library plus the requisite archers - if going Tradition. If Liberty, then it's when I get the 4th policy.

Post-NC is too long to wait, imo.

I find the best method is to look at what your work'able tiles in Capital look like. I don't ever want to work a tile of 2 base-yield in Capital early game, regardless of whether it can be improved. So because I am of course always improving high yield tiles first with Workers, there comes a point where the one I stole and the one I built would be improving otherwise naked tiles. That's the point I build a Settler. I will switch all tiles to max production, maybe buy a couple Hills tiles doing so since I probably will anyway, then put the Workers to chopping.

I used to work 3f riverside Grassland tiles at this point under Tradition until I could Gold buy a Settler, but I have since started building one at about this point and I have liked the results. On Liberty, it is awkward though because this point in Capital development always seems to come before Collective Rule is unlocked. So, I find myself wanting to wait, but then I have to start working low-yield Food tiles to get to that next Citizen in time for CR, and my overall BO slows down.

Either with a free Liberty settler or 2 or 3 pop hard built settler. Any slower than those two scenarios is not recommended. If you want a super early NC just start out the 2nd city on a hill, working a hill, making a library. It's also good to 3 pop a settler at the same time as getting a liberty settler and start both cities on libraries while teching Philosophy.

Super early 3 city NC build, extremely effective.

ASAP (immortal):

Scout
Worker
Warrior
Settler
Worker
Settler
Worker

If im not going tradition opening you would want to slot a monument in there somewhere. Although IMO tradition start is the best.

Part depends on your surroundings. If you don't have another (especially wide) AI near you, you can take your time. If decent land is limited, I try to figure out where #2 and #3 are going to go, and try to get there before the AI gets there.

I would rather take their city than settle one in a bad location, whether playing tall or wide.

I try to expand as fast as my happiness will support. This is usually dependant on luxury availability.

In my case lately it depends on the map. My last game I built a settler very early to get a prime city location. I went liberty in that particular game to also get a worker and second settler quickly. Normally I like the tradition opener, but why not mix it up from time to time.

Top Bottom