News: TSG94 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 94
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Ninety fourth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of features in Civilization 5 Brave New World to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

Intentional use of the Science Overflow Bug is banned. Its use will result in your game being disqualified for results.

In this game, there is NO designated VC. All VCs are disabled but players results will be published by highest Score.

What does that mean? PLEASE READ!

Spoiler :
Game Score will determine who wins. Since no VCs are enabled the default is Time and in this game Max Turns has been set to 200 turns. This means the game will be a race to the highest score in 200 turns. Everyone plays the full 200 turns and saves after the 'Wait, just ... one ... more ... turn" Victory Screen screen pops up. Should you not have the highest score at the end of 200 turns it will result as a loss but you will get the screen regardless.

Since this hasn't been done in GotM before, Score determinations should be explained. This is how Score is calculated (according to Civilopedia here) in order of Least important to Most important:

- The number of tiles in your borders (this is the least important factor in victory)
- The number of cities in your empire
- Your population
- The number of techs you possess
- The number of "future techs" you possess
- The number of Wonders you have constructed (this is the most important factor in determining victory)

Each of these actions gives points towards your Game Score. National Wonders (Oxford, Nat'l Epic, Guilds, etc.) are not considered Wonders in the same way as Unique Wonders (Great Library, Stonehenge, etc.) for scoring. Strategies should be developed based on maximizing these methods for points. I recommend a test game or two if you are unfamiliar with Score calculations. You can see how each determinant is valued and gauge your strategies accordingly. At any time in a game, in the Diplomatic Overview Mini Screen you can hover the mouse over your Score to show where your points are coming from. This is also possible to view how the AI points are determined.

In this game you will play as the Romans and lead the Roman Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized map played at Prince difficulty and at standard pace. Highest Score is the designated VC for this game. You will have until October 15th to complete the game and submit.

Civ V BNW - TSG94 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: - Rome - Augustus Caesar
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Pangea
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Prince
Game pace: Standard
Game options: You will start in the Ancient Era. No Ruins are enabled. Max Turns is set to 200 turns. Please read the above spoiler for more details. Quick Combat is enabled. (You may turn it off using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.144. Wonders of the Ancient World DLCare required for this game and the Gods and Kings expansion is required.

In this game, you will be playing as Augustus Caesar, you possess The Glory of Rome. You have a 25% bonus to building any building that already exists in the Capital.

You can train the Ballista, a Unique Roman siege unit. This unit has a higher Combat Strength than the Catapult which it replaces.

You can also train the Legion, a Unique Roman melee unit. This unit has a higher Combat Strength than the Swordsman which it replaces.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note, you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends Wednesday, 15 October 2014.

The save will be available for download on 15 September 2014, midnight Central Daylight time (UTC -6:00) in the US.

The Save can be found here.

This is a first for GotM, as far as I know. This is unorthodox and it might ruffle some feathers. I'd like to hear what people think of this, including any of the opinions that really don't like this. Since this isn't typical and there aren't a lot of threads discussion optimizing Score this will seem like new territory for many. I hope you enjoy this new effort but I'm also fine with it not being a resounding success. Should it be enjoyed enough, we might consider doing this again just to break the repetition of other VC strategies.

Thanks and good luck!
HR

HR, when you say number of AI Opponents is 8 does that mean you added an extra one or are you just looking at the number of civs listed at the top of the advanced settings screen, or the team number of the last AI slot (which is also 8)? That number includes the civ were are playing, so with default settings that number will be 8 which means there are only 7 AI opponents. I think it would be better to change that line in the settings to "Total Number of Civs: X"

As for the VC for this GotM, I like it. This type of setting caters to us builders (wonder who... hoarders) who aren't good at finishing fast, but are good at building up points.

Yes, the AI will get a few, but you can go take them away from the AI. That will boost your score.

My first practice I won with a score of 1175. I only had 2 wars. The first to capture a settler from Portugal and the 2nd when Assyria dow'd me.

I think I'll run another practice to see if I can do better.

Yes, the AI will get a few, but you can go take them away from the AI. That will boost your score.

My first practice I won with a score of 1175. I only had 2 wars. The first to capture a settler from Portugal and the 2nd when Assyria dow'd me.

I think I'll run another practice to see if I can do better.

I don't thin so. It says you have to build the wonder.

How many points is 1 city?

How many points is 1 wonders?

You do get score for captured wonders, just as you do for captured cities, population and tiles. In a 200-turn game as Rome, some balance of wonder building and conquering will probably be optimal, even though, at Prince, the AI will be slow to build wonders (you might conquer one or two or no wonders when you take a rival capital). So doing more of your conquering post-turn 150 might be best. Of course, at Prince a turn 200 limit also means some of the AI will never leave the Medieval Era.

You can train the Ballista, a Unique Aztec siege unit. This unit has a higher Combat Strength than the Catapult which it replaces.

LOL

Dang it, fixed. I was a little too preoccupied writing up the new details and missed all sorts of old details. i also fixed the opponents count per Monthar's noticing.

According to my tests its

8 points for a city
25 points for a wonder

Hmm...

Also

4 points per pop
1 point per tile

So, a new city on all land is 8+4+7 points.

Up through Radio there are like 800 points available from wonders.

I'm really not sure you should trust that civolepedia entry. I just had +107 points for religion which was not included.

Here's a screenshot from my first practice game showing the point breakdown.
Spoiler :

In this game I got my 2nd city in a peace deal then settle 2 additional cities. I spread my religion to 25 cities.

Edit: I went thru the globaldefines.xml for BWN and found the values for each score element. Here they are with the code removed for easier reading, in the same order you see them in game. I added clarification in parenthesis.
Code:
CITY_MULTIPLIER 8 (per city)
POPULATION_MULTIPLIER 4 (per pop)
LAND_MULTIPLIER 1 (per workable tile)
WONDER_MULTIPLIER 25 (per world wonder)
TECH_MULTIPLIER 4 (per tech)
FUTURE_TECH_MULTIPLIER 10 (each time future tech is researched)
POLICY_MULTIPLIER 4 (per policy)
GREAT_WORK_MULTIPLIER 4 (per great work)
BELIEF_MULTIPLIER 20 (per belief)
RELIGION_CITIES_MULTIPLIER 1 (per city following your religion)

Looking at my score for this game the land multiplier appears to only count the tiles your citizens can work. It doesn't count mountains, the tile the city is on or any tile in the 4th or 5th ring of a city (unless that 4th/5th ring tile fails in the first 3 rings of another of your cities).

In this game I went full Tradition and full Piety. That's 12 policies (2 openers and 5 policies in each tree) so you'd think my policies score would be 48. However, my policies score is 56, which means the bonus for completing a tree is counted as another policy for scoring purposes. Thus each completed tree is counted as 7 policies, which is worth 28 points even though it only costs you 6 policies to complete a tree. Therefore, when trying to maximize score, make sure you complete policy trees you start.

My religion score is 120 points from beliefs (pantheon, founder, 2x follower, enhancer and reformation) and 25 points from converting 25 cities.

Here's the list sorted from highest to lowest multiplier to make it easier to plan what you want to do.
Code:
WONDER_MULTIPLIER 25 (per world wonder)
BELIEF_MULTIPLIER 20 (per belief - max 100 without reformation, 120 with reformation or as Byzantium and 140 for Byzantium with reformation)
FUTURE_TECH_MULTIPLIER 10 (each time future tech is researched)
CITY_MULTIPLIER 8 (per city)
POPULATION_MULTIPLIER 4 (per pop)
TECH_MULTIPLIER 4 (per tech)
POLICY_MULTIPLIER 4 (per policy)
GREAT_WORK_MULTIPLIER 4 (per great work)
LAND_MULTIPLIER 1 (per workable tile)
RELIGION_CITIES_MULTIPLIER 1 (per city following your religion)

Because the points per belief are second only to points per wonder, going Piety for the reformation belief with get you 20 more points than spending the culture in a different tree. However, if those points are spent in Rationalism and can get you at least 5 more techs you'll end up with the same score. Likewise if the points are spent in Aesthetics and can get you at least 5 more great works that will also balance with the points from a reformation belief.

Another edit: With further testing it seems the land multiply only counts land tiles in your cultural border, not water tiles (even if they have a resource). This includes mountains and the tile the city is on.

Attachments

• 2014-09-14_00001.jpg
    2014-09-14_00001.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 1,725
Thanks, Monthar. I think I'll contact Nebular to see if he'll update Civilopedia with newer data. I know Nebular made several updates when it came out but I'm not sure anyone who plays for score would know to contact him about this adjustment. Since this is the first time I've also played for score I wasn't prepared for Civilopedia's info not being updated.

A lot of the Civilopedia still shows the info from Vanilla. It seems the only stuff that was actually updated in it was whatever was added in the expansions while most of what was changed wasn't updated.

Top Bottom