TSG94 After Actions

Fun game.

Short summary:
- settled on the hill 1 NE (low production start, but lots of jungle for culture and later science)
- got culture from jungle pantheon
- went full tradition
- settled only one city, NW of the mountains
- conquered Egypt's 2 cities with 2 ballista, 2 legions and 1 pike
- grabbed their 2 wonders (stonehenge and something else)
- around turn 170 or so got Zulu capital with 3 more wonders. Sued for peace jsut before he was able to capture it back (my army was almost gone by then, only 1 legion and 2 trebs left, so not sure why he accepted). He even threw in Citrus for some much needed happiness.
- around turn 190 captured another Zulu city with a wonder. Sued for peace asap and he threw in another pop 6 city :D

What went wrong:
- when I had 500gold, bought a cargo ship that got destroyed barbs immediately
- founded religion too late, should have invested the 500gold in a temple instead
- managed to get a great general killed by Egypt (only casualty against them)
- constantly struggling with happiness so growth was on and off
- built only Hagia Sophia myself (no GEs)
- could have done better with city state alliances

I'd definitely play this again. I prefer shorter games. Without the annoying world congress and spying stuff... :)

Religion that really give happiness.

1 happy to city size 6
1 happy per 2 cities
padogas

+2 from temple.

will totally give you about 6 happy per city

Fun twist :) Total score: 1139.

Went 4 city tall city wonder spammings, with zero waring or troop building.
- zero ruins = started with monument
- tradition, liberty > collective rule, tradition. and then ended up filling liberty..
- planted 4 cities (before NC). Rome inplace. the three others along the north/west river
- just started spamming wanders
- made a silly mistake of starting my religion in another city than Rome, and I had Divine Inspiration (+2fp wonder) as my faith generator :p
- had enough money to buy factories in all city, but zero coal. was planning to squeeze out an extra wonder or two with extra production
- managed to snag Big Ben @200 with a late GE from faith.. :)

Should have probably done a testgame for this one. Hadnt played prince in a while so ended up not building GL, because I was afraid of someone building it right before me...

Game: Civ5 GOTM 94
Date submitted: 2014-09-29 14:38:30
Reference number: 31745
Your name: Quizman
Game status: Time Victory
Game date: 1400AD
Turns played: 200
Base score: 945
Final score: 945
Time played: 2:20:00

A particularly unremarkable game. I could not believe how slow everything was at the beginning because of the terrain, Maybe a second scout may have helped, but at the expense of other development. I kept to one city until after NC then expanded to four.

I should probably have gone to war much sooner. I took out Egypt very late, but they had a wonder with a settled GW which helped the score a bit. After that everyone but my mate Shaka denounced me. A quick war with Germany took one of their cities and Berlin was there for the taking but I ran out of time. Sorry, I did not count the wonders - about 10 I think and it was amazing how many I got beaten to in the closing stages. Very frustrating. Maximised religion. SP's were full tradition plus some liberty and piety (patronage would have been better, I suspect).

Sorry- didn't cut and paste my score info... I knew 800-something wasn't going to impress anyone. But I had fun playing.
I DID like the time limit, since I, too, seem to enjoy the beginning of the game a lot more than the endgame.
But by the same token, I just have a hard time doing early warring (which undoubtedly netted the higher scores here). In my mind, if my unique unit is the legion, then I guess I enjoy the planning aspect and building up my forces for the attack.
It was just one city for awhile, then I added a second city around 60 turns I think.
So I didn't go after Egypt until I had 4 Legions and 2 Ballistas. I would have figured Ramses would have built at least one wonder.... nope. Bismark, either, as it turned out.
And I finished tradition but was bummed that I was still 2 policies short of finishing up Piety, which didn't help my score either.

I really liked the game settings and goal. It was really interesting. I finished with score 1230, 25%wonders and pop, 15% land, 10% religion and techs.

Congrats to glory7 for that impressive score.

After some test games I decided for a tradition start, with an early settler and then rome would only wonder spam. The map was really nasty for development, so that made it more insteresting. Settled in place.

Planned build order was scout, monument, shrine, settler, GL, stonehenge

My warrior went SW through the hills and the scout NE to the city states and Egypt. At turn 20 I parked the scout next to Egypt to get their worker and nerf them so they will not beat me to the GL. That was succesfull and I got two workers from them. I also got a settler from germany, which was great.But exploration suffered and I managed to know only lands up to Berlin.

But then thins got screwed when Bismarck build the GL on turn 56 }3 turns before I would have done it. That completely pissed me off. I wanted to get iron working from it and research the top of the tree. Now I had to research it on my own. I postponed stonhenge and build some infrastructure in rome, which slowed my plan further down.I didnt build the national college - dont know why, so my science suffered also. The result was that on turn 115 only in classical era, had 3 cities and only stonhenge wonder. I just founded religion (prophet after 6 turns). The next turn Poland founded and enhanced their religion.My score was mere 237 and barely ahead of tha AIs.

But a blessing from heaven came. He was called Shaka and his cats and swords approached Cumae. He has seen my legions and said, Why dont we attack Bismarck? Yes sure. I;ll let you soften him up and take him and then I'll take you. Great plan. But neither me, nor him went to attack germany. So I took Thebes in the meantime and then Bismarck offered me Hamburg for peace (pop 7 and copper). Great. I dowd Shaka.He tried to get Hamburg, but I killed a couple units and he gave me Bulawayo for peace. A bad city, but strategic defense point for Ulundi. I took the peace. Planted my general to steal Ulundi first ring tiles, put my longswords their, trebs behind them. After 10 turns pf peace i stormed Shaka and his army. I wiped him out and took two more city states to boost the score.

So finally I managed to recover due to warring. Taht was also the initial plan. Rome built all the other wonders targeted, only GW, GLighthouse, GL, Zeus were not Roman. I converted everuthing up to poland and sweden (almost converted stockholm). I chose initiation rites which gave me tons of gold to upgrade the army and buy infrastructure in Rome. Faith from wonders and cheaod faith buying resulted in missionaries every 3 turns late in the game. But barbs were pain, hapiness also and science as well. i didnt make it to renaissance and only 1 AI did 5 turns before game ended.War was the key, but a late one due to hapiness and trading opportunities. I probably will do a replay with the GL before the settler. That might be better.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    Civ5Screen0000.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 380
I played this one last night. Time victory, 855 points. I built 7 wonders, 3 of them in Antium because Rome had more important things to do, and captured 3. I was friends with Shaka and Bismarck and friendly with everyone else (except Egypt, who doesn't exist anymore but since Shaka took the last city nobody blames me for it.) I may "just one more turn" and build Notre Dame and Forbidden Palace while waiting for my friendship w/ Germany to expire, and then go on a rampage. Bismarck has 3 nice cities with several wonders.

I don't understand how some people conquered the world in 200 turns with such a brutal start. Coastal jungle start with no sea resources. It took me a while to steal a worker and bring him back home, and then 12 turns just to chop one jungle tile and improve its luxury, so it took a *long* time to get the ball rolling. And then no iron or horses! I bought iron from Egypt to upgrade 2 warriors to legions and used them to build roads and kill barbs until I could settle on a 2-iron tile of my own (west, next to the truffles.)
Social policies: Tradition opener, Honor opener, Discipline, Oligarchy, Military Caste, Aristocracy, Professional Army, finish Tradition, Patronage opener, Rationalism opener. I delayed Legalism to get a free monument in Thebes.
Religion: God-King, Tithe, Pagodas, Guruship, Religious Texts. My religion was spreading rapidly throughout all of Shaka's crappy little cities, and from there to Germany and the CS's. Church Property might have been better than Tithe in such a short game but I didn't expect it to spread like that w/ just one missionary to get it going in my own cities.

Top Bottom