Short fun game (immortal)

Ok, we suck at calculations, dude. :lol:

I tested it and it's: +2 level, +2 forest, +2 fresh water; -4 FP. So we get pop 2 healthy, pop 3 unhealthy (without corn road).

The ivory/cow/fish site is best 1NW of ivory, I think. That's substantial overlap with in-place... I don't know...

For calculation finer points: when settling on a tile, terrain features such as forest, jungle and flood plain are destroyed so city tile doesn't count towards FP unhealthiness (normal desert doesn't give unhealthiness obviously).

With Wetcorn and 2 other healthresos in sight already I wouldn't worry about the unhealthiness at all TBH. Worst case scenario is that some of that FP is "converted" to hard-workable grass in the early game which means almost nothing with a low happy cap.

The overlap with Ivory city is a valid concern also. I might change my vote to 1NE :mischief:

Ok, we suck at calculations, dude. :lol:

I tested it and it's: +2 level, +2 forest, +2 fresh water; -4 FP. So we get pop 2 healthy, pop 3 unhealthy (without corn road).

Math was never my forte :mischief: Isn't there a base 1 health? So that we cap at 3 healthy, 4 unhealthy without the corn road? If we settle 1NE (my current vote), I think we'll need archery reasonably soon unless we want to gamble with the lower barb spawn rate on quick. Then again we'll get gold online sooner so we can probably blitz through both BW and AH before deciding on archery.

So I have:

me (1NE)
Ras (1NE?)
mysty (in place)
Silu (1NE)
bbp (?)
open roster spot

So unless lots of people switch to in place, I'm going to settle 1NE tonight and start agriculture with a worker while scouting along the coast in a clockwise direction.

Math isn't my fort too ;) Fish/cow/ivory (1 ne of fish) looks a perfect site to grow our academy.
Still 1NE :)

@Shyuhe: did you PMed mdy?

I settled 1NE, and here's our city:

It's an awesome long-term city with lots of river tiles, hills, and FP. We just have to be careful of the health situation. We can start a settler at size 2 to grab some nice sites so I think we're ok. There's plenty of health around, especially to the east:

How did I scout so much in 6 turns? Because of this:

2 of those were from border pops!!! Oh well. We met this guy on turn 5 from the east:

So he's relatively close. Buddhism was just founded on turn 6, so somebody had mysticism. Agriculture is done, the scout is north of the capital and I'd sweep clockwise south of the jungle for now to see what's out there.

Roster:
shyuhe just played
Ras - UP
mysty (on deck)
Silu
bbp
open roster spot (hoping mdy?)

Attachments

• Short quickie BC-3640.CivBeyondSwordSave
    54.6 KB · Views: 126
Got it. Thoughts after work :)

Looking at the screens, expanding east and north east looks the way to go to acquire more health, block the coast for later. As we are industrious and, unless some HBR hut popping luck, we won't warmonger till MT/gunpowder, GLH or some other wonder plan (great lib/mids with stone) might be good. Just throwing this for reflection :)

@Shyuhe: maybe we should advertise the game in the registration thread or in the SGOTM forum, as it would be cool to have 7/8 players to start next game... I feel 5 is still a bit short (please mdy, come with us :))... maybe we can send others PMs as well.

The two spots I see are north of the eastern wheat and the cow/fish we discussed earlier. I'm more inclined to go to the eastern site first to block off more land and to get another grain resource up. Research-wise, I'd go BW.

I'll see if I can dredge up some more interest.

By the way, doesn't the Lock Modified Assets kinda screw SG'ing up? I assumed it's somehow enabled by default in BUFFY and the mod circumvents the prevention of sharing the save, but on the first try I couldn't load the save at least ("the creator of this save has locked blabla").

EDIT: Oh yeah, city places.

1NW of west Ivory and 1N of Wheat seem no-brainers. With the cottage restriction, the northern flood plains actually aren't as good as they seem. Still, I guess 3N or 4N of the capital Gold for that city? Looking forward to watermilling that :)

For the order, with current knowledge, I'd say Wheat first, NE Corn 2nd. After that it gets muddy, either Stone from south, the Fish or the FPs.

@silu
you have to delete (rename) custom assets, BUFFY doesnt really work w/ BUG or the like.

You just have to rename the directory or move BUG into custom assets. I have BUG in custom assets (I think) and it loads it on default except when I load BUFFY.

Bleh, what a chore :p

I would have thought mod assets override customassets.
Well... I was sort of shocked myself, it's difficult to do so a sloppy programming.

Edit: actually for me the game simply crashes while loading a save w/o any extra info, I had to figure it out, myself.

Cities: agree with Silu. 1N of wheat seems like the first we wanna settle. I think we'll have to re-evaluate once the scout circles around and we know where Bismarck is.

Too early to talk of next city imo :D Maybe we will want to settle west of the lake near the wheat depending on AIs location. Maybe we'll want to settle north instead...

Anyway, I plan to play 10 turns tonight till BW, finishing the worker (farm corn) and building a warrior. Copper location might change our settling plans completly :)

Ras

Played till BW.

We met Churchill moving the scout east, then quickly found a coast... and finally germany. Bismarck settles Hambourg turn 14, screwing any site in the area. Wheat/gold site is too food light for my tastes as second city. I like corn/pig north a lot more, though this one needs a border pop (mysticism). It would protect our west coast nicely...

Moreover Churchill founded hinduism turn 14... let's hope for a hindu happy continent. Did the farm and start mining the gold.
Only one copper visible for now, up north near the jungle. It seems too far away to settle it as second city, but why not? Except this crazy idea, my favored location is as mentionned pig/corn.
Next tech: depends a lot of where we put St Pet... maybe AH, maybe mysticism, maybe fishing... If we don't settle copper, I assume we can do one tech at least before archery safely... with gold it should be OK... but maybe I am too optimistic here.

Here are the pics of the round:

Spoiler :

Note the hut near the stone in the south. Hopefully the scout will make it there.

What do you think guys? nuke the hell of them? :lol:

Mysty -> up!
Silu -> on deck!

Cheers,
Raskolnikov

Attachments

• Short quickie BC-3040.CivBeyondSwordSave
    69.5 KB · Views: 102
Wow that's a lot of green land. I still want the wheat to cancel the capital's FP unhealthy. Otherwise we may be capped by health in the midgame. With gold, we can easily tech both AH and BW before barbs are an issue. So I'd go AH next to see if there are any horses before we commit to archery. We may be able to protect our borders with warriors anyways.

edit: actually, maybe wheel--AH is better? Then we can hook up the corn and start roading towards city #2. Unit movement is time consuming on quick.

We could still trade later for a wheat... settling this average city and getting beaten to the green pastures would be bad on the other side :mischief: We have another cow/fish in the near future for sure (third or fourth city prolly).

edit: AH is only for the horse check? I don't see any site requiring a pasture before a border pop... except the stone one, but this one is non sense as city 2 (not blocking at all).

edit2: TW -> AH makes sense only if we commit to settle city 2 for horses (see first edit)... I am not sure we want to do that. Quality land first imo. Also, warriors are good for fogbusting but not for fighting... and depending of where is Churchill, a lot of barbs could come from the jungle... I wouldn't take any risks, or this might be a very short quickie :lol: So I see two paths, settling grasslands somewhere near corn going myst -> archery, or TW -> AH settling a potential horse site. (yeah forgot about the wheat site already :p)

See it. Very busy atm with a practice game, getting back in shape... going great, nearing the end, enjoying a showdown vs deity charly ;) thus lack of participation :p
I'll post comments tomorrow when I had a glance at the save.

Top Bottom