What is the weight of the Warmonger penalty?

I should have probably mentioned this, but it was Atilla that I took down. My spies told me he was plotting against Elizabeth twice, and both times I shared this intrigue with her. My military is very powerful, yes. I've always given Elizabeth shtuffs, like one-sided Dyes as a luxury, 4 GPT for no reason and stuff. The difficulty is Warlord, as I started playing very recently. I was playing as Rome. I have all the DLC's and expansions as a gift.

Moreover, if the AI is simply "playing to win" (perfectly reasonable, and something I support), shouldn't AI civs also strongly penalize players for having a science lead or being close to diplomatic or cultural victory? For some reason, having all but one spaceship part is totally cool, but seizing a single capital is beyond the pale.

That's because the more cities you seize, the more you destroy an AI civ's ability to compete for victory, to the point even of throwing them out of the game.

There are already penalties for the science/cultural victories: the AI won't like you expanding too much (getting a large production/science capability at the same time), and reacts badly to Wonders spamming, to passing harmful measures in the WC like World Ideology and World Religion, or when a Wonder spammer passes Cultural Heritage. It reacts badly to tech stealing, and to artefacts stealing. With the patch they've also made it aware of the worth of open borders for cultural victory. Those are the equivalent of the warmongering penalties.

That said, unlike conquest that harms the AI and which calls for trying to weaken, destroy or isolate you as the only solutions, the strategies for cultural/science victory have benefits to the AI as well and helps it to win: it can get RA with you, it can steal your techs if you have a big lead, it can get science out of TR with you, it can get happiness out of you from trade. If it took the military means to undermine you (other than bribe others to attack you) it would often undermine itself by carrying the warmonger status and losing its benefits with the other AI. Some AI seem to react to your tech lead/cultural lead by starting to conquer to get very large Empires, at least it's how I interpret the phenomenon I see a lot in my games lately where one civ by mid-game starts conquering its whole continent (then stops after it's got a critical mass, still quite short of a Domination victory) and is suddenly back in the game in science/culture.

If the AI DOWs you hover you mouse over their cities and note the colour of the warmonger text. If it's red don't take any cities until you can have allies join in(when they have actually DOW the civ in question). The text should now be yellow. If you can't get allies then you can't take any cities(if you want to avoid the warmonger penalty with all civs).

Conquering CS is considered the worst warmongering "crime" as you have just wiped out a 1 city civ, added that a CS is considered a minor civ. The second is taking the last city(that civ is now a 1 city civ).

Early warmongering is worse than late warmongering as there wont be as many cities founded early on.

So she hates me for no reason?

No, upon looking at your screenshot more closely I see she covets your lands(although not bright red). This will manifest itself as war when lizzy thinks she has the upper hand. Since you have a large military she wont go to war(signified by the 'guarded' regard).

In short, in this game it's best not to bother trying with relations with lizzy(unless you share the same ideology). I'd seek allies against her and "covet" her lands.......

Yes, they also warmonger a ton for someone who "hates warmongers" :confused:

It's ok when you do it, just others are bad for doing it. See today's politics.

Sigh. How can I be a WARMONGER if I have never gone to WAR? That's the irony here... I feel that if any CIV declares war on me, I should be able to completely destroy them and their CS allies with no penalty.

Yes, but the city states don't declare war on you, they are automatically pulled into your conflict by the CS ally system - which is quite cumbersome at times when I want to attack a strong Civ, but that would result in me instantly losing two CS allies because the Civ would walk over them.

So the CIV Diplomacy AI takes that into account. There was no need for you to capture the city states, as they were only at war with you because you were still at war with their ally civ.

No, upon looking at your screenshot more closely I see she covets your lands(although not bright red). This will manifest itself as war when lizzy thinks she has the upper hand. Since you have a large military she wont go to war(signified by the 'guarded' regard).

In short, in this game it's best not to bother trying with relations with lizzy(unless you share the same ideology). I'd seek allies against her and "covet" her lands.......

Well, I've already won the game through a Cultural Victory, she never once tried to invade me. You're probably right about the military power thing. I tried installing Info Addict so I could see those ratios and stuff, but the latest version doesn't work with the fall patch.

Is this sort of behavior Lizzy specific or what? I find it very hypocritical considering she "hates warmongers" :/ That coupled with the fact I took down Atilla who was plotting against her. I even TOLD her that -.-

Top Bottom