Pollution i thought they said no pollution??

Ranbir said:
Worst looking oil ever.

Someone better mod that real soon after game release.

Agreed, Im hoping some of the graphics modders will be able to really clean up and improve alot of the standard graphics.

if oil will apper as slicks like this...and oil is also available in the ocean(which it is) it would be an oil slick on water....and isnt that pollution :crazyeye:

the poor marine mamals and birds of civ4.

We can rule out pollution. It is no where near a city, or a volcano, and couldn't be a nuked location. Could it be a new terrain type? If we have flood plains, why not tar pits?

Artitistically perhaps it is ugly..I agree.

But maybe we need to be hit over the head with antything that makes us realize oil is an UGLY resource.

Yes, it has had great benefits, huge benefits ...but it is dirty, and pollutes, and it is running out sooner rather than later. We need to find alternative ways to keep our world's energy needs met this century...or possibly perish as a race.

Our oil addiction must stop...so hats off to the artists in this case for putting in an 'ugly' graphic. :clap:

oldStatesman said:
Artitistically perhaps it is ugly..I agree.

But maybe we need to be hit over the head with anything that makes us realize oil is an UGLY resource.

Yes, it has had great benefits, huge benefits ...but it is dirty, and pollutes, and it is running out sooner rather than later. We need to find alternative ways to keep our world's energy needs met this century...or possibly perish as a race.

Our oil addiction must stop...so hats off to the artists in this case for putting in an 'ugly' graphic. :clap:

If you want to stare at bad/ugly graphics for the sake of your political beliefs feel free. I'll mod this and alot of the rest of the graphics ASAP. Just need someone like Snoopy or Warpstorm to come up with something as nice as their CivIII mods.

Civ3 Pollution sux. Looks like effect of tons of nuklear reactors melting across your entire empire... Better penalty to growth,

Remember that Civ IV is kinda looking more natural, so the oil has been displayed on the ground rather that a permanent drop above a puddle. Zoomed out it might look less cartoony

@Oldstatesman Yep oil is very crappy

troytheface said:
i thought it was a jumping purple horse without a head.
Hey, I've been thinking about it for a few days...

I think the picture of oil on the screen is probably oil.

I could be wrong though.

Could be hot fudge.

Hmm... no.. actually I think it probably really is oil for sure. Maybe.

joycem10 said:
If you want to stare at bad/ugly graphics for the sake of your political beliefs feel free. I'll mod this and alot of the rest of the graphics ASAP. Just need someone like Snoopy or Warpstorm to come up with something as nice as their CivIII mods.
Umm, guys, they are still refineing the graphics, just look at some of the more recent graphics, a bunch of them are just place holders, wait till it gets a little more close to actual release time before trying to tell everyone that it is all junk :mischief: (although, yes, they do have me a little worried :().

joycem10 said:
Oil is dirty is not a polictical belief. It is a fact...have you ever been around a refinery? Seen the area around a production site? Have you ever seen a brown cloud from internal combustion emmisions around a major city? Have you ever stood on a beach ravaged by an offshore oil spill? Seen oil clumplets floating in the ocean? It ain't pretty.

Oil has been a tremendous boon to our way of life...but it has a really bad downside. Even the major oil companies themselves have recently released reports that peak oil is coming in the next 10 to 15 years. Political? No, realistic. We do have to find other sources of maintaining our way of life, or suffer the consequences. (The environment is not political. I will agree that how we deal with it is. ;) )

As far as looking at ugly graphics, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...mod away...I know I will be for other things myself if I get Civ4. :)

OIL oh wait the answer has already been repeated. :D

Didn't I read somewhere that oil has to be refined? So maybe it's in a raw state and unusable until refined. Then afterwards it will look “Pretty” as others put it!

oldStatesman said:
Oil is dirty is not a polictical belief. It is a fact...have you ever been around a refinery? Seen the area around a production site? Have you ever seen a brown cloud from internal combustion emmisions around a major city? Have you ever stood on a beach ravaged by an offshore oil spill? Seen oil clumplets floating in the ocean? It ain't pretty.

Oil has been a tremendous boon to our way of life...but it has a really bad downside. Even the major oil companies themselves have recently released reports that peak oil is coming in the next 10 to 15 years. Political? No, realistic. We do have to find other sources of maintaining our way of life, or suffer the consequences. (The environment is not political. I will agree that how we deal with it is. ;) )

As far as looking at ugly graphics, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...mod away...I know I will be for other things myself if I get Civ4. :)

Except for the last line, could you refrain from political/socio-economic posts on a -game- forum? It would be appreciated. Thanks.

Whats so bad about the look of the oil? How would you display it better? I think its good looking and easy to see that it is oil...

toft said:
Whats so bad about the look of the oil? How would you display it better? I think its good looking and easy to see that it is oil...
It shouldn't be displayed, it's below the surface :p
If you wanna find it, you should need to have miners look for it (same for other subterran resources like coal and iron) ... just like those cute lil' guys did in the Settlers series, search and yell 'yippee' when they found something :D

In all likelihood, I agree, it's oil in debug. It could be tar (but that isn't listed on Civrules' prerelease info page). Alternately, oil may not be an Industrial resource; after all ancient peoples knew about oil's existance and used it for medicines and at least one Mesopotamian civilization (I forget which) built asphalt roads centuries BCE. No yellow lines, though.

Top Bottom