Unique Builiding Elimination Thread

Bazaar-20
Pyramid- 43 - 3 = 40
Stele-45 + 1 = 46

...I'd love to save the Bazaar, but as it's pretty obvious this is going to come down to a tug-o-war between the Stele and Pyramid, I'm gonna start upvoting the Stele. In my opinion, the Stele is superior to the Pyramid: the extra Science is great of course, but the extra Faith and Culture are just that much better.

EDIT: Got ninja'd to killing the Paper Maker, and so am altering my votes.

Bazaar-17 As luxes often come in bunches, it's not uncommon you'll find yourself with a ton of luxes you can't trade/you can trade for like 2GPT to a civ that hates you.
Pyramid-41 Faith Early. Science early. Basically as good as you can get.
Stele-46

Bazaar-17
Pyramid - 41 Science is king.
Stele-43 Going wide for making steles contradicts Ethiopia's UA, bonuses against larger civs. It's still great, but not perfect.

Bazaar-14 Science and Faith are more important than money.
Pyramid - 41 Science is king.
Stele-44 It is there to guarantee you first religion, not help you go wide.

Bazaar-5
Pyramid - 43
Stele-45

Even if you go 4 city tall, 4 Pyramids gives you basically a free academy. And extra faith on top of that.

Bazaar is good, but the Pyramid and Stele provide strong extremely early benefits. The early benefits compound into larger benefits as the game goes on.

Bazaar-2
Pyramid - 43
Stele-46

The pyramid and the Stele are pretty much equal but I'll vote for the Stele just because you don't require any tech to build them.

Bazaar-0 So awesome building, and i love it, but it can not compare to Pyramid or Stele.
Pyramid - 43
Stele-47 - I don't know if i should upvote this or Pyramid, they are both fantastic buildings. Stele pretty much guarantees you a religion

Pyramid - 44
Stele-44

+1 faith +2 science is heavily superior to +2 faith in my opinion, so Pyramid gets my vote.

This will be a long fight.

Pyramid - 45
Stele 41

+2 science + 1 faith against +2 faith. I choose Pyramid. The boost it gives is really nice, and it is better for religion than normal shrine.
Stele is good by not so good, and I don't like Ethiopia in this game - whole this civ relies on monuments with +2 faith and useless UA and UU, boooring.

Pyramid - 46
Stele-38

Both will guarantee a pantheon, however extra early boast to your science is far more significant than a first pick pantheon.

The Pyramid gives 2 Science and 2 Faith per turn

Pyramid - 43
Stele-39

Easily the top 2 UBs in the game. I like the Stele because it allows you the first religion of the game with extremely little opportunity cost. Getting 3 of these free with legalism is also great in a game dominated by tradition openings anyway. I play singleplayer, but in a multiplayer game this building also almost guarantees you tithe as a founder bonus.
The pyramid is really good though. If this building wins I won't be upset or disappointed. It's a very close race between these amazing buildings.

Pyramid - 40
Stele-40

The Pyramid won't really guarantee a good religion. Steles are much better at it. Tradition lets you get up Monuments as soon as your expansions are founded, and the Stele is enough to give you a religion without having to build anything else. That saves you maintenance and production time. And extra turns of Faith you get early on are extremely important for jumpstarting your religion. Religions snowball either by converting fast and early, or by planting your holy sites as soon as possible in order to accelerate your Faith production further. The Great Scientist you buy because of this acceleration will make up for the lost science.

Pyramid - 39 This building can be buffed with the piety opener. Also offers science and encourages the Mayans to go wide because the science will negate the science penalty. Also stacks well with messenger god.
Stele-38 Guarantees religion, yes, but pyramid does that in style. Also, steles aren't discounted by piety opener.

Pyramid - 40
Stele-35

Both of them are really awesome and spammable. But I pick pyramid because the mayans are better suited for going wide rather than ethiopia.

Pyramid - 40 - 3 = 37
Stele-35 + 1 = 36

The Stele is powerful early game and remains so late game (culture to finish off Rationalism + Faith to rush-buy Great Scientists? Yes, please!) The Pyramid gives you a bit of extra science early-game but flops by the late game. Also, even if you're going wide (which Ethiopia is, in fact, good at; your UA keeps you safe while you're small so you'll be untouchable when you're big), you still want a Stele in every city.

Pyramid 38
Stele 33

"The Stele is powerful early game and remains so late game (culture to finish off Rationalism + Faith to rush-buy Great Scientists? Yes, please!) The Pyramid gives you a bit of extra science early-game but flops by the late game. "

A BIT of extra science? One pyramid increases early amount of science by, if I remember properly, something like +30%. It makes difference to Medieval, where science is over 100 but few pyramids multipled with other bonuses still make few good percent of additional science. It allows to grab technologies faster, grab land improvements faster, grab world wonders faster and get to Theology and Mayan UA faster AND it still gives +1 more faith than normal shrine.

Mayans from monument and pyramid get +2 culture +2 faith and + 2 science
Ethipians from stele and shrine get +2 culture and +3 faith

+2 science is superb vs +1 faith in this comparision. Yeah, Ethiopia manages to have pantheon these few turns faster while Maya after Pyramid have really strong technology boost.

"Also, even if you're going wide you still want a Stele in every city."

Pyramids are as cheap as Steles, and with +2 to science you certainly want them in every city.

Also, I would like to remind that science is probably the most important yield in this game - faith is still "only cool bonus ;) " while amassing big amounts of science is extremely important.

Top Bottom