End of Empires - N3S III

EDIT: I'll take the lower delta.

LATER EDIT: Decided to add a story.
The Barbarians, the Graknids, and the Arkage
It was the 5th year of the reign of Karbra, Graknid calendar. The Grakids ruled the delta, insofar as any one culture could be said to. They were confined to the east, but respected as the strongest as far wide as people knew of their existence. A primitive agricultural civilisation, they were based upon kings believed to be divine, with absolute rule of their cities. The royals considered it benath their feet to value anything other then royals. Their main redeeming feature was their emphasis on intelligence.

The Arkage at this stage were a minor Graknid city state with a strategic island posistion. They were unique only for their culture, which had an unsually high amount of adoptions. This led to a unqiue degree of social mobility. But it was not this that would determine their future.

At this time, the tribes further west in the Delta were considered barbarians. They were not agricultural, but nomadic. They were inferior tactically, inferior in civilisation, and inferior in population- but that didn't mean they were nothing...

The centre of the first stage of changes in motion was Jara. Jara was the strongest single Graknid state, but in no way hegemonic. This began to change on the death of Kabra, King of Jara. One of it's best generals, Craknus had won a great reputation in Kabra's reign for fending off a coalition of the strongest of the Graknid states (Kabra was an ill king during most of his reign, and could not fight his own wars), but due to royal intermarriages and the continued failure of Kabra to concieve an heir, the sucession was now disputed between the two leaders of that coalition.

Craknus was an ambitious man. Nationalism did not exist back then, but there were nobles in the city who would back him. Craknus, primarily from selfish motives but also from bloody-mindedness, decided to declare himself King of Jara. But he would wait until later in the saga...

Fakr was a northern state, leader of the coalition, and primary canidate for heir. Nestad's primary advantage was that it had, in fact, the stronger claim- but it was not as strong a state as Fakr. The forces of the two states overall slightly favored Fakr. Jara was on the brink of civil war. The only neutrals were the barbarians- and Arkage...

The first move was to Fakr. They decided to march directly on Jara, and try to buy Craknus's support. Craknus, who had already made up his mind, countered by leaving Jara in a self-imposed exile. He headed north, to barbarian terrortories.

With Fakr in control of Jara, Nestad decided to rush his forces to the city. The plan was a desicisive battle. The King of Nestad was a very stubborn and bloody-minded man, and would not accept the fall of what he percieved as his rightful heritage. The King of Fakr was not so stubborn or bloody-minded, but he knew his foe was. Both sides brought to the battle enormus armies...

Craknus incited the barbarians to sack Fakr. His reputation was known here, if vaguely. He told them of the war between Fakr and Nestad, and advocated a rapid attack to sack Fakr before any other forces could react.

The Battle of Jara was devastating. About 45% of the city supported each faction, with 5% Neutral and 5% in an Independents faction which tried to play them off against each other. But the city didn't matter- what mattered was the two armies. The battle was in the streets, which tactical doctrine of the day did not provide for. It was a battle of warriors...

On the same day, Craknus sacked Fakr. It was his greatest triumph, and his grandest moment. The city would be rebuilt later, and even then would be a major power, but it would never reclaim it's former glory...

After Jara, the Fakrids had won. The King of Nestad was dead, and Jara was theirs. But when the news of the sacking of Fakr reached them, the victory seemed hollow indeed. The plans for revenge on the pro-Nestad states would have to be put off. The survivors of the battle had an army actually smaller then that of the barbarians!

Arkage had began to exploit this oppurtunity. People took little notice, but they were already discreetly getting information for war plans. Troops were training, and men preparing for a major war of conquest...

The King of Fakr now had a major problem in the new Barbarian King, Craknus. His army, triumphantly hearing of the results of the Battle of Jara, was marching southward. These events would lead to the Battle of Kommenada, where Craknus would win a victory which would bring him to the height of his power...

It was here that Arkage decided to strike, attacking former Nestad states and occupying them one by one. Using force marches loosley based on Craknus's model, sending "merchants" into a city to open the gates, buying off minor figures in the city for promises of power that would never be kept, and other methods of war. Their army was larger than that of Craknus, who himself wanted to consolidate his victory, returning to Jara in triumph.

But Craknus's power rested in the hands of his barbarian followers. They demanded concessions- titles of nobility, land, prestige. Craknus wanted to keep them away from Jara, but this was becoming increasingly difficult. The barbarians resented the Jaran nobles, and vica versa. Craknus knew that to keep his power, he would have to make a choice...

Ultimately, Craknus would choose the barbarians. This would lead to his assasination partway through the process of subduing the north. Arkage, by contrast, used a combination of lenient terms (no sackings of cities, installation of pro-Arkage kings instead of direct annexation) and reorganisation (moving the capital to the mainland) to take control of the south.

The Arkage states were in overall stronger posistions then the northern, but the strongest single state was still the Craknid Empire. The Craknids and barbarians, the Arkage, and the remaing Graknids each would play a role in forming the new culture...

stats a little later. here is where I will start. I am the red square.

EDIT: should we describe the society etc. for the people at the dawn of civilization, or for what we hope comes together when you are done with the update and into the imperial age?

EDIT :

Bahra
Starting Location: You remember...previous post.
Society: For now the Bahran peoples are divided into various different tribes, though all communicate with each other and are very interonnected through trade, travel, and a common language. Each tribe is divided into usually three or four different clans, or families, which is usually led by the eldest or most respected member, whether its a man or woman. Clans are further broken down into individual immediate families and so forth. Tribes are usually led by a council of these clan leaders.
Lineage: For as long as the people can remember, they have always been of the desert. Whether it is of this particular part of the desert is debatable. Some tribes claim to be able to trace their homeland to deserts in the east, across the Great Highlands.
Values: Loyalty to the family, clan, and tribe. Observance of the Gods.
Religion(s): The Bahran believe in a full pantheon of gods and godesses, with the most major one being the God of the Rivers/Water. Over time the pantheon will condense as certain gods merge with others. All gods are human. Religion emphasizes family ties and goodwill for trade.
Language(s): The language of the Bahran is relatively sophisticated, having been used for thousands of years between the tribes for trade and religion. Various dialects do exist, though they are mostly on the peripherary of the Bahran peoples and are usually a result from a mixing with people with whom the Bahran trade. The writing system should develop into a cuneiform system, written on water reeds taken from the banks of the rivers and flattened out.
Mythos: Will come later. Something about people being made from grains of sand, fertilized by the water god.
Economic Base: Agriculture in fertile lands around the rivers and in oasis, but most economic activity comes from trade both within Bahran society and out.
Nation Names: Muhan, Hanayamin, Bunam, Ayuminid, Rashima, Pommalinids
Person Names: Achnim tin Yama, Raminen, Hominid et Timor, Rashida et Pala, Sumoni tin Nass
Place Names: Magha, Risha River, Pominid River, Yashidim, Lakhima

Attachments

• starting here.JPG
    starting here.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 251
ALL EDITED IN:
The description I gave was intended for the dawn of civilisation, but putting at the end of the Imperial Age will do if that was what was expected.
Query: At the end of the first update, what stage will civilisation be at?

The Mandate of Heaven, The Begginings of Slavery, and the Rise and Fall of the Craknids
The Arkage and the Craknids had at this stage one major similarity- a desire to rationalise their conquests. This factor was what led them both to adopt the philsophy which emerged around this time of the Mandate of Heaven. Previously, the gods had been thought to favor the just and righteous. But how could the Arkage or the Craknids call themselves such?

The answer was that the balance of power amongst the gods had shifted. Kulira, God of Deceit, had already been said to plot against the Gods and the divine status quo. Now it was said he had conquered. The Arkage were first to adopt this idea, but the Craknids, who needed to justify their rule, adopted it also.

Craknus died in this period, but his sucessor, Craknus II, desired the unification of the known civilised world under his own personal rule. His percieved opportunity was the collapse of the Arkage empire. The new King wanted to revoke autonomy in several city states, creating several rebellions across his empire. Craknus II decided on a three stage plan- defeat the remaining Graknids, refuse to marry in order to be able to switch from a hereditary to an adopted monarchy, and then conquer the south at leisure.

But Craknus had not planned for two critical weaknesses. First, the barbarians were far less in number then the peasants under their command. Without bringing in more barbarians, Craknus could not maintain his power. (The barbarians were turning into what would later become the army class)

A revolt came in the most humiliating place possible- Jara itself. The capital of the Craknids, it revolted while he was away fighting Graknid forces. Craknus had been prepared for the possibiltiy of revolt, and had left a small barbarian force there as a deterrent. But he overestimated the organisation of the revolting forces, and the barbarians were massacred along with their families.

Craknus II had little choice- the threat of revolts was too great. Bringing in more barbarians (whether appropriately or not, barbarians brought in by Craknus I and II were considered ethnically Craknid), Craknus II (who had defeated a Graknid force but lacked the numbers to follow up his victory) tried to create a more sizable army percentage.

Independent Jara was in the best posistion at this time. With most of it's terrotories intact, an unstable northern neighbour and a warring south, it might have unified the land if it had turned north. But the decision was made to turn south for fear of Craknus II's abilities at war. Zobor defeated the Jaran fores, and prepared for a siege...

Craknus II had reckoned without his brother. A barbarianised man, he was popular with the newly forming armies (who were begging to become professional through military victory). One or two barbarian chiefs desired the creation of independent states of their own. Craknus had failed- the Craknids descended into chaos...

The last phase in the creation of Arkage culture was the combination of Arkage and Craknid. This began with Branden of Zobor. He would later conquer Jara and raze it for fear of revolts, then find his King had to deal with them anyway. Percieving the growing professionalism of Craknid armies, Branden adopted these reforms. He would go on to bring Zobor sucess, though it would lose Jara after his death. One by one, states began to adopt an army class if only to have a force to counter those of others...

Starting Location: Green spot (Dangit Abaddon, how come you always pick the place I want? :p), marked on attachment
Society: Despots with spiritual classes of priests ruling the individual cities under them. No real merchant class, the trade is made by the farmers.
Lineage: Mine Engrisch ist noot ze better, que? First sons inherit the throne after their fathers, if that's what you mean.
Values: Marriage, family. Old ones are more important than children, women are not valued much. A girl can be bought as a wife from the minute she is menstruating. Fish is more expensive food, beef and wheat is plentiful. Magio Priests cannot be damaged in any way, if as much as a cough is done upon them, they can sentence one to death.
Religion(s): Common religious tension between two sects - The Magio and the Dha. They cooperate very well, though. A religious civil war has happened about four hundred years ago, where the Magio sect proved to be stronger and victored over the Dha. There are no Dha priests and the Dha religion is dissappearing. They both believe in a great god, Hu'atbka, but the Dha also believed in a twin brother, Hu'shebkawtba.
Language(s): Hu'ampaibve. The language is quite rough and blabbering. Words are very long, and are pronounced very fast. Fx a sentence could be "Uijjanbekevbk sevikla mub've a'ini hubvawbkio dhaes", said at the same speed as "My dog ate it". There is major traces of a more simple language, Ujji, in the south (a sentence could be "Limbje tatuop klbe doc' ").
Mythos: The culture believe that they were created by the hands of the god Hu'atbka, who cleansed them with water and made them walk, whereupon they wandered through a great desert to their current location.
Economic Base: Quite advanced irrigation and developed sea fishing. Trade is mainlymade northwards into the Hu'hab peninsula and eastwards along the Hadeb'jjat river. Regarding meat: No to little hunting present, but instead dependant in ox husbandry (If oxes are present ofc). No currency, but bronze is forged into primitive jewelry.
Nation Names: Hu'ut, Hu'ut'deme'em, Subal, Gazn'e'ne
Person Names: Geupopultopu, Yti, Bante'eso, Hiddilibidut, Ulabulan, Laban
Place Names: Hiuttubupulosolamanos (City), Jahip (area), K'hmerl (area), Ioppson (area and name to village placed in the area).

Masonry is somehow developed.

EDIT: I'll take the lower delta.

Starting Location: Green spot (Dangit Abaddon, how come you always pick the place I want? :p), marked on attachment

:lol: Work that out amongst yourselves, unless you feel like taking the same spot.

EDIT: should we describe the society etc. for the people at the dawn of civilization, or for what we hope comes together when you are done with the update and into the imperial age?

Probably at the start. The rest can come in your orders.

Query: At the end of the first update, what stage will civilisation be at?

No later than the iron age, no earlier than the bronze. Past that is dependent on my mood and how the players act.

NWAG is on another river..LJ.. prepare for troops to be on your border very quickly unless you decide to start elsewhere :evil:

Meh.

Bosrttia
Spoiler :

Society: Simplified, Bosrttian society can be summed up in three words: "Life is hard". This tends to pretty much convey the methods of Bosrttian society, and on its own is a very used seniment by the people. The rule of the Bosrttian groups tend to fall upon somewhat capable men due to the fact that leaders are elected by the nobles of a group. This tends to lead to a large amount of turmiol when succession time comes, as nobles often stab each other in the back and do whatever is necessary to be elected. In order to be considered 'dutifully' elected, a canidate for the kingship must have a vast majority of the groups (something that is said much easier than done). Finally, much strife occurs in daily life due to the ideals of the society- one should be independent, strong enough to rely soley upon their selves, and smart enough to ensure their own success.
Lineage: Patriarchy
Values: Strength, Independence, Thought.
Religion(s): A large and simple panthenon designed around five 'high' gods representing the elements of the world. The God of Fire Athere, the Goddess of Water Aiti, the God of Wind Ashl, the Goddess of Earth Ytora, and the Goddess of the Aether Enf. From these five main gods and goddess the rest of the dieties are formed, for example the god of storms (Iaro) is the son of Aiti and Ashl. In additon to the being the children of the main gods, there are a few gods that are the products of either a main god and a minor god, or two minor gods. An example of this is Issh, the goddess of the night who is the daughter of the minor goddess Arisa and the god Ashl.
Language(s): Thrut- a guttural language of simplistic origions whose greatest claim to fame is the natural repetition of sounds. For example the sentance: 'Uene umm unalu yhanu' being a common clause found in dictation.
Mythos: The Mythos of the Bosrttia center around the various conceptions of the gods and goddess, and thier misdeeds done in their interactions with humanity. The two crucial myths are the Myth of Existance, which explains the creation of the high gods, and the Myth of Creation, which explains the creation of man-kind.
Economic Base: Farming, Trade, and mining.
Nation Names: Berdz, Bremssey, Tishs, Murk, Styr, Brontold.
Person Names: Natd, Sher, Zukch, Sessn, Santage, Burine, Thent.
Place Names: Bararom, Blysskel, Cirdw, Blirrand (Bodies of Water), Didss, Sat, Kem, Ryr (Mountains or lands).
[Add anything else you want to say]

I'll edit more in soon.

Work that out amongst yourselves, unless you feel like taking the same spot.

I'll move to the south of the first delta, and ret-con the Arkage to an isolated city which kept their heads down and reverse north and south at all points in the story (won't bother edting, though). As long as I can be in the dark red area, that'll be alright...

Oh GAY. This cradle is going to be bloody!

I meant the delta with Masada on it, and by the "south" I meant the area on that river where civilisation starts first.

Phew, so only LJ to slaughter thought to the coast, unless he decides to move :mischief:

I'm sure NPC's will spring up pretty rapid to keep us at our guard.. tho I hope not too much initially.

Try to keep non-IC discussion at a minimum, folks. Other stuff should be moved to While We Wait.

Can I join up, I think you should still be taking sign ups. Out of interest when are orders due in.

Player number is unlimited, so you're in. :)

Orders due on Monday, technically, since I have parties and a graduation to go to Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

However, if I get all the orders in by Saturday, I may be able to stay up until 3 AM and deliver an update.

I'll get stuff all filled in an orders sent on sat midday GMT+1

Are there any jungles to start in? If not, can I start in such? If not when will such lands appear?

I think that if you think back to one of my countries played in your NES, you will know what I want to do...

Top Bottom