RandNES 1: Dawn of a World

A normal day in Svealand
Spoiler :
“Looks like we’ll be drifting here for some time,” Haraald says. He and Gustav stare into the misty darkness.
“Yes, this fog doesn’t seem to be lifting any time soon.” Sven, leader of the plunderers, walks over to join the two. “How are the preparations going Sven?”
“Well, we still have no signs of the other six ships in the fleet. All we can hope for is that they follow the moon and we all meet up after the clearance of this fogs”
“At least we still have the moon to guide us.” Haraald points out. The three stare into the darkness for some more time. “Well, let us get some sleep and hope the fog clears by dawn.”
“Yes, let us hope.” Sven and Gustav walk away leaving only Haraald standing on the deck. Haraald remembers his father, Gothar the Great, and how he united the tribes into Svealand. He looks up to the sky and prays. “Father, you know how to survive this, please father, guide me on my journey.” On that note, Haraald left to get some troublesome sleep and prepare for the day of looting and plundering, sure to bring riches and honor to his land.
The morning came quickly and Haraald arose to enthusiastic yells and cries of relief from Gustav, Sven, and others on the other six ships. He walked onto the deck and saw the skies were clear and their voyage could go on. Gustav came up to Haraald.
“Great day isn’t it. We got the men all prepared for our landing.” Gustav spoke with enthusiasm. Like most of the 45 men in the fleet, he took being selected to the journey with great honor and pride. “By the way, when are when set to land.”
“Look, Land,” prepare for the landing!” Sven shouts. Haraald organizes his men when the ships land on the beaches of Aalvord. He starts to walk them into a trail through the forested land.
“Onwards we have to explore this new land!” They kept walking through a small stream and then a soldier saw fire in the distance.
“Smoke! In the distance!”
“Aye!” the rest of the soldiers shouted.
“Let us go and take anything valuable and bring it back for Svealand!” Haraald rallies his troops as the march on towards the village. Walking to the village, they are met by cries of anguish by the ill-prepared villagers. A few of the able men try to fist fight the incoming pillagers, but to no avail. After the skirmish with the villagers, the plunderers ransack every hut in the village taking anything with appeal to them. After letting the villagers go, Haraald orders all of his men to let them be and they walk victoriously through the path back to their moored ships, setting sail back to Svealand as the sun starts to set and the journey home lit by the moonlight.

Noted. Final question- are larger armies likely to be slower, other factors being equal?

Larger armies require good discipline, trained officers, and supply lines, both of which are rather expensive ventures for a single city-state entities in Neolithic times like us.

There are almos no archaeological evidence that suggests large scale warfare of any kind during this era. I would imagine that a large army o this era was basically a band of thugs given a stone club, numbering a couple of hundreds at most. This is an incredibly significant number as most of the world's population would be locked into villages of 20-40 people.

It will, however, be almost nowhere enough to outright conquer another city. Evidence of the era supports this: almost no city found in this era sports any kind of fortification at all. It was simply unnecessary when any large invading army had at most a day or two to attack before they ran out of supplies and had to retreat back to the home city.

-Uran/Silverman
-Despotism
-The Great Canal of Ura'qui
-Medium-Small
-10 EP per turn
-0 Maintenance(?)
-Palace
-0 Ep store
-No army
-10 EP spending

-4 EP sending out miners to mine nearby salt to help preserve food
-4 EP creating a navy, multi-hulled canoes with a sail in front, filled with archers and axemen
-2 EP expanding infrastructure such as canals, bridges, and roads
-Send the new navy to pillage coastal villages, taking loot and abducting the beautiful women, and take the most strong of men as slaves
-Invite all travelers who come to worship the Oceanic Gods to live in the holy land of Ura'qui
-Encourage the worship of the Oceanic Gods

Known lands of the Sveans

Spoiler :

Forgot to edit in, the river is River Vasborg

Larger armies require good discipline, trained officers, and supply lines, both of which are rather expensive ventures for a single city-state entities in Neolithic times like us.

There are almos no archaeological evidence that suggests large scale warfare of any kind during this era. I would imagine that a large army o this era was basically a band of thugs given a stone club, numbering a couple of hundreds at most. This is an incredibly significant number as most of the world's population would be locked into villages of 20-40 people.

It will, however, be almost nowhere enough to outright conquer another city. Evidence of the era supports this: almost no city found in this era sports any kind of fortification at all. It was simply unnecessary when any large invading army had at most a day or two to attack before they ran out of supplies and had to retreat back to the home city.

mmrandomplayer, just checking but is the way you do things? Realistically I'd know so I want to know either way. If so, it kind of screws me over but I suppose it's realistic.

@NWAG
Did you get an answer about the govt. EP spending?

I would like to note that, Neverwonagame, sacking cities is still very much a thing in the era. One of the only signs of fortification in Neolithic history: by the stone age Maori people, indicates that there were recurrent raids by neighboring tribes onto their settlements.

This simple wall was designed to hold the enemy off of the centralized Safe zones while the enemy plundered whatever it was left over outside and left. I imagine that without this wall, the raiders would have been able to get inside and loot and enslave whomever the hell they wanted.

For you, this would probably mean destroying the other city and enslaving their population. Which was a thing during Neolithic era.

Where are you getting all these facts? Not that I'm questioning them or anything.

I was reading a research paper in my college database, but it seems i missed a paragraph or two.

Since this appear to be early Neolithic era with cities just being erected, large scale warfare was just beginning to appear. Which fits in with what you are trying to do, I suppose NWAG. Early neolithic era army could number up to 1000 men. I have my doubts regarding this figure and he doesn't specify why he believes it could number up to 1000 men.

However, he does make an interesting note that there are cave paintings depicting battle lines and some maneuvers like flanking, noting that warfare was organized to some degree. I can live with that, actually.

Good to know it's not Wikipedia :p What are some examples of the warfare though? I can't think of any examples of large scale warfare this early in civilization.
Unrelated, The army definitely would be slower at that time period since human were not excessively advanced in the fact of storing food for days on end of travel.

Battle of Jericho. The historian estimated 2000 invaders and 600 defenders.

Wikipedia :)p) suggests that the city was destroyed.

Seems legit enough :scan: One new thing I learned today

Bhalibris/Immaculate
Spoiler Orders :
EP: 10
Stability: Stable

3EP on developing archery (mostly for hunting)
2EP on dyes and glazes.
2EP on developing tanning, leather-working, etc.
3EP on cultural investment in the concept of Vibsurv- ornate tattoos/death tradition

During these years the Bhalibris will continue to draw sustenance and growth from their fishing fleets. Extending their use, they will continue making contact with nearby villages and trading our goods for theirs, even establishing permanent links via formal annual gatherings for the exchange of stories, goods, ideas, even tribe members. As we develop bows, our trading parties will increasingly carry them in case of protection, but we will not be aggressive with our neighbors. With time we will potentially be able to export salt, salted fish, salted meats, functional pottery, ornate decorated pottery, leathers and hides (including brightly decorated ones), raw dyes, and furs.

On the home front, we will explore the forests further, developing bow-based hunting and trapping for both sustenance and to gather hides and pelts. We will begin to tan and prepare leather and furs from these hides.

Because, again, we are lovers of bright colors and artistic beauty, we will develop dyes to color our leathers and our ceramics, even developing shining glazes in a variety of colors.

Culturally, the Bhalibris will extend their love of bright and beautiful things to their own skin, applying their growing knowledge of dyes to develop extensive and complicated tattoos, especially of the chest, back and sleeves, for both men and women. Originally mostly pictures, as time passes, they will develop symbolically and their pictograms may with time develop into early proto-written language. The tattoos will be complex and characteristic enough to take on their own extensive meaning in the Bhalibris culture, becoming Vibsurv, a way to share accomplishments, tribal and familial bonds, etc. The Vibsurv is not limited to the living however. Making use of the Bhalibris knowledge of tanning and leathers, a funeral rite will develop whereby dead Bhalibris are skinned, and a subtle leather lovingly crafted from them. These are at first draped over scaffolds of wood or rock but as the Vibsurv tradition develops, are given places of special merit within the home on dedicated, often very beautifully decorated and glazed ceramic busts. The presence of such constant reminders of the dead will give increasing importance to the concept of an immortal soul and its continued influence in worldly affairs after the parting of the body. The living will visit the Vibsurv of their ancestors, caring for their hides and learning from their tattoos (increasingly deciphering the meaning therein as the pictogram system develops) as well as asking their intercession on their behalf with the gods, the twin incarnations Yawu and Haihai.

Elrich/Seon
EP:10
Stability: Stable

4 EP on developing livestocks (Sheeps! Pigs! Horses! Donkeys...wait what?!)
3 EP on developing quarries for our growing stonecarving/statue making industry.
3 EP on creating trade caravans for inland trading!

Out into the world, young men! Youths of the Elrich people are encouraged to seek out new people to trade with, visiting nearby villages as part of a caravan and bringing back home new stories, myths, and goods that have never been heard of before by the people back home. Some may find love outside the city of Aelrich and may bring them back. Others may be convinced to stay in other villages, permanently, thus bringing Elrichi tongue and culture to foreign lands.

Farming ? Tin ? in the stone age ?

Spoiler :

sorry had to post this ..

I'm treating it like the Copper Age and going from there. I believe everybody else is as well.

the first page clearly mentions this as starting off in the stone age though ....

mmrandomplayer would probably argue Late Stone Age was pretty much like this. I'd check with Seon to figure if that was accurate.

sorry, dropping out of this... was going through some of the orders here ... don't really agreeing to these...

Happy gaming guys ..

Well the thing is that development of human cultures cannot really be categorized clearly into Stone Age-copper age-iron age blah blah blah. For some peeps Iron Age came before copper age because there was no copper to be found in the local areas.

Aztecs even created an Empire for themselves with STONE weapons.

Top Bottom