Pre-RandNES 2: Timeline Building

mrrandomplayer

Hopeless Situation Warrior
Welcome to the world-building phase of RandNES 2! This NES will be based on Alternate History, where the point of departure is when in summer 1813, both President Madison and Vice President Gerry die, causing Henry Clay, the speaker of the House, to become President. After this, Clay sends more reinforcements up to Canada and rallying a large successful defense of Washington DC, led by a militia captain named Andrew Jackson. These victories divert more British forces towards America, causing Napoleon to win more victories in Europe after his escape from Elba, causing a much more pro-Napoleonic and pro-American end of the War of 1812. The point of departure is a little optimistic, but bear with me there. I have a rough timeline up to 1816, but after that, everyone will be in it together. The purpose of this thread is to construct the rest of the Alternate History timeline in an open, discussion-like atmosphere. The game will begin in either 1863 (50 years after the PoD) or 1876 (100 years after the Declaration of Independence).

August 1813: Both President Madison and Vice President Gerry die while Congress was in recess, making Speaker of the House Henry Clay the 5th President of the United States.
September 1813: President Clay sends more reinforcements to Canada to take Montreal.
November 1813: Montreal falls to American forces.
December 1813: Quebec falls to American forces.
February 1814: Toronto falls to American forces, but it is a Pyrrhic victory.
April 1814: British forces led by the Duke of Wellington land on New York Island and capture the city, but they become surrounded on the island by a late group of American ships as well as several American privateers.
July 1814: President Clay, upon hearing from intelligence that the British sent another army to Washington DC, calls all nearby militia and soldiers to defend the city at all costs.
August 1814: A British attack on Washington DC is repulsed by a Tennessee militia general named Andrew Jackson, who becomes a national hero.
September 1814: The British army in New York surrenders. President Clay sends John Quincy Adams, William H. Crawford, and Albert Gallatin to negotiate a peace treaty with England at Neutral Lisbon.
March 1815: After months of stalled conversation, the entrance of French diplomats swings the treaty towards the American and French side.
June 1815: The Treaty of Lisbon is signed. America purchases Southern Canada from England, and France gets back Quebec and the parts of India that it lost during the 7 Years' War.
August 1816: Following Southern American independence campaigns, President Clay issues the Clay Doctrine (OTL Monroe doctrine).
October 1816: Following the collapse of Spain, Florida and Cuba request annexation by the US, with a little "help" from some more militant Americans there.
November 1816: Clay wins reelection by a a landslide.

You may now start posting about America...

December 1814: Napoleon escapes Elba, reconquers Paris, and declares himself Emperor.
December 1814-March 1815: With the Duke of Wellington dead, Napoleon wins victory after victory, and in March, is invited to the American-British peace treaty at Lisbon.
June 1815: The Treaty of Lisbon is signed. America purchases Southern Canada from England, and France gets back Quebec and the parts of India that it lost during the 7 Years' War.
August 1816: Under French pressue, Spain puts Joseph Bonaparte back on the Spanish throne, and begins to send large French and Spanish fleets to crush the Latin American revolutions.
September 1816: Joe Bonaparte is shot and killed by a Catalan extremist. Spain plunges into civil war, with pro-Bourbon forces, pro-Bonaparte forces, and democratic forces fighting each other while Catalonia and the Basque country declare independence.

You may now start posting about Europe...

Reserved for Asian/Middle Eastern timeline.

You may now start posting about the Asian/Middle Eastern timeline...

Questions for discussion:

Americas:
Controversy over annexing Florida and Cuba (favors the slave power too much)
The success of the American System.

Europe:
Iberia's victors and rulers, and the fate of its former empire.

Reserved for anything else I'll need.

You may now post.

well, napoleon will definitely want to regain control of iberia, so he'll be helping his brother to do that (even though joseph would probably just end up getting himself killed).
the draw between usa and the brits was mostly what made us buddies with them, so i'm actually not sure how that would play out
france would probably get the option of taking haiti back, but it probably wouldn't be worth it at this point, since they already sold louisiana.

well, napoleon will definitely want to regain control of iberia, so he'll be helping his brother to do that (even though joseph would probably just end up getting himself killed).
the draw between usa and the brits was mostly what made us buddies with them, so i'm actually not sure how that would play out
france would probably get the option of taking haiti back, but it probably wouldn't be worth it at this point, since they already sold louisiana.

Napoleon gave up his "American empire" vision after he sold Louisiana. I think he would still want Quebec for the lucrative fur trade and India for the trade there.

Also, feel free to start posting ideas for future events.

This timeline is inaccurate! The Presidential Succession Act of 1792 established the President Pro Tempore of the Senate as being next in line if the Vice-President died! And he would only have served until a special election in November!

This timeline is inaccurate! The Presidential Succession Act of 1792 established the President Pro Tempore of the Senate as being next in line if the Vice-President died! And he would only have served until a special election in November!

Gerry did not retire from president Pro Tempore, which was one important thing I did not note. He feared that an anti-war senator would be elected, so he unprecedentedly did not step down.

EDIT: I looked into the bill more, and it seems that he would serve until the end of Madison's term, which lasted until March 1817.

Napoleon gave up his "American empire" vision after he sold Louisiana. I think he would still want Quebec for the lucrative fur trade and India for the trade there.

Also, feel free to start posting ideas for future events.

Well, I specifically mentioned Haiti because it was considered the crown jewel of the French colonial empire, but we both agree that it wasn't really important at this point. France did keep its holdings in Guiana, though.
Either way, if Napoleon had won at Waterloo, I honestly think that he would keep fighting. I'm not sure if he'd invade England next or hit Russia again, but he'd probably try both if he got the chance. If USA helped him woth England, he might be able to take it, but that really depends on how mad we are at them. Your call. Then again, he'd probably need American help to win at Waterloo, too.

Top Bottom