So what about players who love civilization but rarely have a PC that can handle it?

That's the RAM, not the graphics card....Civ4 is a resource hog, and wants as much RAM as it can get...so if you have the minimum RAM requirements, you will have issues...you need more than that to be safe. I run 512MB, and rarely have problems with the game until it starts lagging in later eras on larger maps...if I were to have 1GB instead, without changing anything else, I'd be able to run everything at max settings and probably wouldn't have any slowdown in late games either.

Exactly, I have two gigs of ram and the game runs fine for me even though my video card is pretty weak.

I have a reasonably powerful Mac, and I play CivIV on it. However, there are very few games available for use on Macs, and I do most of my gaming on consoles anyway. Playing games isn't something that I do very often on my computer (I only really have four games that I use it for most of the time: CivIV, Age of Mythology, Age of Empires III, and Knights of the Old Republic). If I spent more computer time playing games, I wouldn't be using a Mac. As it stands, I'm more comfortable with a Mac for everything else that I use computers for, so I'm not getting a PC anytime soon. Besides, most of the games that I like best are console-only. I'm sure PC snobs will state that this makes me some form of inferior being, but I rarely take other people's opinions seriously, especially not those of snobs (I hate snobs, but I like to have them around. They're so much fun to hate, and it doesn't really count as bigotry). I know what I like, and I stick with it until it ceases to entertain.

While an option to have 2D view would be nice, it's just too much work for little gain. People who want to buy Civ, will buy it anyway, and then simply upgrade if they can't stand playing on lowest res, or waiting for computer to move on big maps.

Game development is a business. Sure it would be nice to make everyone happy, but at the end of the day you need to make money, and not waste it on extra development to make sure 1% of your audience is content.

Top Bottom