Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Re: combat promotions; what are the parameters? It seems pretty arbitrary; is there a way to get the ranger/scout promotion with the ninja/infiltration promotion?

DS version:

Under custom city focus, there are two rows of 4 boxes each with 4 tiny boxes. Surplus populaiton are placed in the smaller boxes. But I don't understand how the game decies which box the population goes to.

Also on a city with a courthouse, we can't work all the tiles even if its marked as workable and we have surplus poplation. This is a bit confusing to me.

As I understand it, if you have workers sitting at home, the city will get the bonus listed. It fills in from the first column down and then over to the second column. Does this make sense?

I am a newbie looking for strats(CivRev Xbox 360). I am sure there are many opinions on the best strategy for domination, cultural etc.

Basically this post is to get some discussion going regarding old timers and their strats. Hopefully some of you old pros, who have played the new CivRev for Xbox, have some strats or tech paths you would enjoy sharing with newer players....and maybe those strats might just help other experienced skilled players as well!

Thanks in advance for helping new folks like me,

Moondust

What are the differences, if any, between the Xbox/PlayStation on one hand, and the Nintendo DS version on the other?

The more detailed the answer the better. Thanks.

I am a newbie looking for strats(CivRev Xbox 360). I am sure there are many opinions on the best strategy for domination, cultural etc.

Basically this post is to get some discussion going regarding old timers and their strats. Hopefully some of you old pros, who have played the new CivRev for Xbox, have some strats or tech paths you would enjoy sharing with newer players....and maybe those strats might just help other experienced skilled players as well!

Thanks in advance for helping new folks like me,

Moondust

I would advise you to check out the Strategy & Tips, which has some discussion about the tech tree and other aspects. Welcome to the forums! :goodjob:

What are the differences, if any, between the Xbox/PlayStation on one hand, and the Nintendo DS version on the other?

The more detailed the answer the better. Thanks.

Essentially, just the graphics have been changed. The core gameplay is like the consoles. Hopefully someone that has a DS can comment on this further...

Ginger Ale is correct. The game plays the same on both PS3/XBox and DS. The high end console versions have some minor additions such as being able to sell back units and larger maps.

The game says the Americans start the game with a GP, but I don't see one when I start on a random map. Is this bugged?

I've played with America twice now and I got great people both times. The great person only shows up after you settle your city. (I can't remember if he is announced right away after settling, or if it is the next turn after you settled.)

Is there anything like the power chart in Civ4? I though my army was pretty good, but then all the AIs demanded tribute and declared war. If there isn't, how much army do you need to keep AI off your back until you're ready to deal with them?

Also, I got a few questions about spies. First, can the AI see spies? I haven't seen any AI spies, but Monty captured my spy as if he knew what he was doing. Is that just bad luck or do I need to protect spies. Second, how do I defeat an enemy spy since it will always have the fortified bonus? This might be an Aztec only issue since other civ's spies won't heal, but is there a better way to defeat an aztec spy than throwing away my spies until i get lucky and win at half the strength?

I've played with America twice now and I got great people both times. The great person only shows up after you settle your city. (I can't remember if he is announced right away after settling, or if it is the next turn after you settled.)

Appeared to have been a bug. I was playing with my DS turned on all day and when I picked the Americans no great people showed up when I loaded up the game.

But its working fine now. Must be a rare glitch that happens.

Might have missed it, but when settling, does the tile you settle on get "normalized" in any way?

In other words, if the tile I settle on has 2 hammers, do I get those with my new city or does it change the tile to something else? And what if it has marble or something? Does that get wasted?

Is there anything like the power chart in Civ4? I though my army was pretty good, but then all the AIs demanded tribute and declared war. If there isn't, how much army do you need to keep AI off your back until you're ready to deal with them?

I haven't seen a power chart, but then again I only have the DS version. I don't think the AI will look too hard at how much power you have. They will try to bully you if they believe you to be weaker or if you are well in the lead. Usually, I hang back a bit and let them declare war. When my upgraded army takes out one of their units, they back off and want peace.

What does the aquaduct do? I have the DS version and no Civlopedia that I can find :(

DS version:

Also on a city with a courthouse, we can't work all the tiles even if its marked as workable and we have surplus poplation. This is a bit confusing to me.

Does the city have anough culture to have those squares encompassed by your border?

What is the point of militia on a galley? Can other units be loaded onto a galley?
The militia is mostly so that you can send your galley off exploring and it can visit things onshore like friendly villages and relics without loading another military unit (e.g. a warrior, archer, or legion) onto the galley. You can load any land unit you want on a galley (and in CivRev there is no limit to the number of units you can load on a ship). The militia is basically a freebie unit of limited utility which you get when you build a galley or a galleon.

Top Bottom