Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Spies are still invisible to all units except other spies. If an enemy unit moves onto the same tile as your spy, however, your spy is instantly destroyed.

They don't seem invisable to the AI, they always seem to know where she is.

I'm trying to win my first Sid game. After being lucky enough to get an SGL, I traded for Masonry, but the build for Pyramids doesn't even show up in my city build map. Is this a bug, or am I missing something? (Conquests).

How much larger of an area does a Courthouse allow your workers to work?

It extends out one tile in each direction except for the corners:

City without Courthouse
Code:
 xxx
 xCx
 xxx
City with Courthouse:
Code:
 xxx
xxxxx
xxCxx
xxxxx
 xxx

I'm trying to win my first Sid game. After being lucky enough to get an SGL, I traded for Masonry, but the build for Pyramids doesn't even show up in my city build map. Is this a bug, or am I missing something? (Conquests).
In CivRev the prereq for the Pyramids is Ceremonial Burial. So that's probably it right there. Otherwise if you also have Ceremonial Burial it probably means someone else has already built it.

It extends out one tile in each direction except for the corners:

City without Courthouse
Code:
 xxx
 xCx
 xxx
City with Courthouse:
Code:
 xxx
xxxxx
xxCxx
xxxxx
 xxx

Kinda figured - it turns it into the "classical" city radius. Just at work pondering strategies and couldn't find a definitive answer on the web.

1. It seems you can't work more than 5 tiles around a city even if you have more than 5 pop, is this a pre-courthouse thing? I have 8 possible tiles to work.

2. When a unit becomes elite and you're given some upgrades to choose from, are the available upgrades displayed randomly? You can only choose from 2 at any one time.

2. When a unit becomes elite and you're given some upgrades to choose from, are the available upgrades displayed randomly? You can only choose from 2 at any one time.
Im am also wondering about this. Its not completely random, defensive units gets defensive upgrades and vice verca. But apart from that it seems pretty random. Anyone?

Do the AI use spies for anythink else than disrupting unit fortifications? I havent seen that.

Do AI launch nukes? I havent seen that either.

Is there a way to update units? (i.e. Warrior -> Legion or Knight -> Tank?)

How do I use my Great Artist to take over a City? Do I have to be at war with them? I had 2, but I couldn't take over any cities with them. :(

Is there an easy way to backfill techs? It seems you can only trade techs one for one...

I cannot for the life of my figure out how to upgrade my obsolete units, apart from using Leo's Workshop. any help?

It required a full range of upgrade chain.
For archer upgrade to rifleman,
Archer --> Pikeman ---> Rifleman
you must get democracy to get access to pikeman, before LW finished. otherwise it does not upgrade your archer.
Hope this is your expected answer :king:

It required a full range of upgrade chain.
For archer upgrade to rifleman,
Archer --> Pikeman ---> Rifleman
you must get democracy to get access to pikeman, before LW finished. otherwise it does not upgrade your archer.
Hope this is your expected answer :king:

Yeah that's what i expected. I was hoping for a way to buy upgrades, is all.

They don't seem invisable to the AI, they always seem to know where she is.

It's possible that they're spotting your spies with their own, and then using their normal units to destroy it. That's what they often do to me.

Is there a way to update units? (i.e. Warrior -> Legion or Knight -> Tank?)

How do I use my Great Artist to take over a City? Do I have to be at war with them? I had 2, but I couldn't take over any cities with them. :(

Is there an easy way to backfill techs? It seems you can only trade techs one for one...

No way to upgrade, apart from Leo's workshop (which makes it in my humble opinion the best wonder =D), or Bismarck's power. Great Artists can't take over cities with walls (unless you've built hollywood), and from what I've seen I THINK you have a better chance of having the *take over city* if you move closer to that civ.

I rarely backfill, I usually don't find it worth it. apart from that, it should be that older techs are cheaper (as in, by leaving them alone for a while you'll have built up your scientific resources, and it'll take less turns)

How do you view the Top Ten Cities?

Is the only way to flip a city by using a great artist? My advisers tell me constantly that I can flip a city, but a great artist doesn't come along that frequently.

Is the only way to flip a city by using a great artist? My advisers tell me constantly that I can flip a city, but a great artist doesn't come along that frequently.

You can flip cities by having exceedingly more culture than them. I frequently have flipped their city by just being next to them with a Cathedral.

You can flip cities by having exceedingly more culture than them. I frequently have flipped their city by just being next to them with a Cathedral.

Do you settle the city right next to their cultural border (assuming the border doesn't extend more than one square away from the city?)

To flip a city normally through culture, you don't have to be "that" close to them. Having said that, it certainly helps if you're closer (maybe 4 - 6 tiles away)

I don't know this for a fact, but it seems like there's no new random seed on a reload.

Which means, the game already determines what outcome is going to happen in your battle before you fight it. So you can save the game before a battle, lose the battle, reload the game and fight the battle again. And you'll just keep losing it. If you want a different outcome, you need to let a turn go by, or go back a few turns and do things differently leading up to that battle.

Right. My question wasn't about the saving and reloading, it was about why the numbers don't accurately reflect the strength of a unit. Just last night I won a battle in which I was favored 21 to 15.5 and recieved the upgrade for beating a unit of equal or greater power. I am trying to figure out if this is a display bug that they are going to fix or if it is something that will continue to irritate me. I am tired of losing fights that I am favored by 40 - 200%. Like I said in my last post... if the numbers don't mean anything, then why show them at all?

Top Bottom