I didn't know they could swim!

ericball

Warlord
I was playing Deity last night when something weird happened. I was attacking a city from a hill SW of the city. I took the city, but all of my units ended up in the ocean NE of the city. To add injury to insult, they were then attacked by an AI battleship which killed my Great General.

The only thing I can think is they got pushed by some kind of strange culture push due to the Greek city SW of the city I was attacking. So when I take the city, the temple is lost, which shrinks the culture area of the city, making the hill Greek territory. And since I was at peace with the Greeks, I got pushed off the hill, all the way into the water.

I am almost positive it was caused by the culture of the neighbouring "friendly" city as I had a similar thing happen in another game. Captured a city, but then the major culture of the nearby city moves the units.

There weren't any ships on the tile, were there?
Nope, just the nearby enemy battleship.

I had something sort of similar happen to me and it wasn;t because of culture - I too lost a great general from it

I wanted to attack an enemy city and had several units on a ship. I landed the units underneath the city (all in one go, by just "moving" the ship onto the land square. All of the units unloaded from the ship one square left as they should do except for the great general who moved 2 squares left (i.e. one square past the other units) which left him on his own. On the AI turn they attacked him and as there were no other units on that square killed him.

I assume it was a bug as no unit should be able to move 2 squares from a boat landing but it's only ever happened that one time

I've had the same Great General bug -- with the DS version. I moved the ship onto the land to unload the units, and the GG went two spaces instead of one. However, I took the city I was invading, and the General went unscathed.
Thereafter, the General pretended he was still attached to his unit. If I moved a space to the left, he moved a space to the left -- still one space off of where he should be. Moving to the coastline, the General had no problem taking a swim. And loading his unit back into the carrier simply made the GG follow the carrier around, until the unit was offloaded again.
Finally, I attacked another city. They seemed to think my orphan General was the biggest threat, and attacked him first. The game played his little trumpet flourish, and he was waving like he normally does, but it only took a few seconds for his demise.
In the meantime, prior to his death, his unit no longer had the GG combat bonus.

I once declared war on a rival while having lots of land units in his territory. The stack got pushed past ocean tiles and landed on a mountain tile of a nearby island. I think I was able to load them back into the transports, but I don't really remember. It seems that the cultural borders will sometimes push units out of the way even if it involves violation of movement rules.

Top Bottom