Not Another City States Mod

Bumping to say I uploaded version 5, which just adds 9 new :c5citystate:city-states:
:c5culture:Cultural: Dubai, Luxembourg, Quebec
:c5food:Maritime: Malta, Puntland, Taiwan
:c5war:Military: Jericho, Sri Lanka, Ur
I also noticed I forgot to include the ReadMe. :sad:

I will try to work on the feature of more unique military city-states. I have a number of options:
  • Add UUs that the city states can gift you.
    I'd simply incorporate Gedemon's amazing City States UU.
    (I asked him for permission several months back, but should probably do so again, even if it's just pro forma.)
  • Give city-states slightly buffed UUs (I don't know if they'd be able to gift them just like that though.)
    Much in the line of Lord Shadow's Specialized Barbarian Units.
  • Give units donated by city-states a unique 'mercenary' promotion.
    This could be anything, from a normal buff to a unique ability.
What do you guys think would be the best option?
I have never done Lua before, so I don't know if it'll ever work out. I could probably need some help along the road.

Also, I added a screenshot in the first post that should explain what I mean with the 'capital' city state renaming I did.
And last, I had to pick between 4 named for Puntland. Which one is preferred: Puntland (as it is now), Land of Punt, Punt or Pwenet?

Great mod, I like the changes to the names to countries rather than having a civilization of Edinburgh, etc. A few minor notes:

1. With the absence of North Korea, I think the South Korea distinction is unnecessary, I just changed it to Korea in my personal version.

2. Rapa Nui, Hawaii, Fiji are redundant with the Polynesia DLC and probably should be dropped.

2. Rapa Nui, Hawaii, Fiji are redundant with the Polynesia DLC and probably should be dropped.

True, but not everyone wants to download DLC that could be taken care of by mods.

Great mod, I especially like the change to country names. I'd like to have this compatible/supported for Gedemon's maps.

The changes to the vanilla city-states seems to have been a success. Glad to hear you enjoy it.
Great mod, I like the changes to the names to countries rather than having a civilization of Edinburgh, etc. A few minor notes:

1. With the absence of North Korea, I think the South Korea distinction is unnecessary, I just changed it to Korea in my personal version.

1. I thought the Korean empire had a different capital than Seoul, but a quick wiki search showed Seoul was its capital after all, so I it's something I'll do for the next update (unless I forget it).
  2. As The Loot said, many don't have the DLC and those that do, can easily delete those 3. There probably is a possibility to make the mod check if a DLC is active or not and adapt it, but I am not familiar with it. Anyone can help?
Great mod, I especially like the change to country names. I'd like to have this compatible/supported for Gedemon's maps.
You mean the [TSL] Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack?
It's something I could look into. I don't know if this would make this mod dependent on Gedemon's maps mod or else break the modular design, so this could take a while.
I'll see if I find the time, as currently new content is a priority. (Lua is hell.)

There probably is a possibility to make the mod check if a DLC is active or not and adapt it, but I am not familiar with it. Anyone can help?

It seem like YnAEMP removes the Spanish and Inca city-states he has if you choose those DLC civs, but it might just be the starting overlap removing them from the game.

It's something I could look into. I don't know if this would make this mod dependent on Gedemon's maps mod or else break the modular design, so this could take a while. I'll see if I find the time, as currently new content is a priority. (Lua is hell.)

I suppose I could just modify his City State mod based on the changes/concept of yours, so don't worry about it.

Exxaxtly where can I find this mod ?
In the mod browser (Main Screen > MODS > BROWSER). Just search for 'Not Another City States Mod' and it should pop up.
Normally I'd have attacked a copy to the first post, but that function is currently broken and I assumed people would find their way to the mod browser.

Oh, and The Loot, I think I found how Gedemon did the check for DLC, so I can include that for the next release.
Currently a bit preoccupied with my other mod, but I hope to get back to this soon.

Oh, one other thing for the mod, just for consistency some of the city states like Eritrea or Taiwan that are nations should probably have their capitals on the map like the originals.

I fear the names might get too obscure. Taipei (Taiwan) would definitely work and I'll put it on my list for next release, but not many people have heard of Asmara (Eritrea).
And then nearly all of the city-states I added have to be altered as very few are actually just cities. But who has heard of Bandar Seri Begawan (Brunei), Vaduz (Lichtenstein) or Suva (Fiji)?

I'll go over the list of city-states and change those that have some recognisability to them.
I'll also be changing Ragusa to mean the Republic of Ragusa (present-day Dubrovnik) instead of Sicily, as mihaifx had pointed out somewhere (long ago).

I fear the names might get too obscure. Taipei (Taiwan) would definitely work and I'll put it on my list for next release, but not many people have heard of Asmara (Eritrea).
And then nearly all of the city-states I added have to be altered as very few are actually just cities. But who has heard of Bandar Seri Begawan (Brunei), Vaduz (Lichtenstein) or Suva (Fiji)?

I'll go over the list of city-states and change those that have some recognisability to them.
I'll also be changing Ragusa to mean the Republic of Ragusa (present-day Dubrovnik) instead of Sicily, as mihaifx had pointed out somewhere (long ago).

Right, I think in places where the country is just the metropolitan area of the capital(Bahrein, Brunei, Lichtenstein) the country name is fine. While I agree with ragusa, maybe Messina would be a good historical capital for a Sicily state? Naples as itself would be good too, both were fairly significant in preunification times. Edit: apparently my brain is skipping because I forgot the obvious capital for Sicily, Palermo. Messina or also Syracuse would be good as standalone cities, though all would probably be a bit too much together.

Ragusa is a vanilla city-state and I actually just intended to edit its civilopedia entry and remove my edit that made it show as 'Sicily' in certain instances.
I think Italy is already well represented on the city-state front. You have Florence, Genoa, Venice and then I added San Marino and Vatican City.

Hey the ideas for new types of city states is cool since there is only a mere 3 types of city states. When do you think that would be done? Or is it really complicated to do that

There is (sort of) a discussion about it here.
It requires some better work of Lua, but it should be possible. If I have to do it on my own, this could take quite a while though (or I could fail), if others join in, it could be a matter of weeks.

For the next release I'm focussing on making a small distinction between my 'Capital' city-states and the others. For now the distinction is only cosmetic, but in later versions I hope to give the 'Capital' city-states extended functionality (limited trade/diplomatic options maybe).
I'll post the full explanation and pics when I have a working version.
After this release, I could start to look into the extra city-state types, but maybe it will be only after I finished the 'Capital' city-state arch. Not sure yet.

Ok, so far I got this:

and 11 others. Next I'll be making the other 7 vanilla 'Capital' city-states and maybe some others. Eventually I'll do some minor fixes and code improvements before releasing.
This is done on the basis of mihaifx's City States Leaders, with the code improvements suggested by Gedemon.

In a later version, I would try to add more images: central would be a big leader portrait, winged by a flag and the city-state type (cultural, maritime, military), based on a suggestion of Zyxpsylon, in that same thread.

Superb stuff, buddy.
Keep 'hem coming... we'll get to some probable variety when ready.
While the point with a Manhattan Island_CS is that the UN is located there and that Diplomacy points are garnered with more than just Gold or Influence "principles".
It's the Model_Concept that counts... not by who or when it finally reaches release status.
;)

PS; There was once a Caribbean map (scenario) which added a bunch of new CS too, have a look - it's fun!

As it is, the files replace the core files of CityStateGreetingPopup and CityStateDiploPopup. I'm rewriting the code so it no longer has to. There's a bit of a problem I made a thread for here, but I hope someone will be able to help.

I also wanted to make the flags show in the city banners on the map, but I can't seem to find the bit of relevant code in the CityBannerManager.
Another problem is that I seem to be unable to add colors (or playercolors), which I wanted to use to differentiate between the small nation CSes and the others.

I could maybe add La Navidad, the first settlement in America. I don't know if it's in any kind of DLC though. Or La Isabela.

Colors?
What colors.
Second column from the left. Defaults.

Attachments

• CIV+CS_Colors(Table).PNG
    CIV+CS_Colors(Table).PNG
    18.4 KB · Views: 294
No, those colour combinations all work just fine. What I wanted to do is make a slight variation on the 'minor' colour combinations, where the black is substituted with a dark blue. Those would then be used for the minor nations.
That should be easy enough, really, it's just some simple XML stuff, but whenever I try it, it just doesn't work. Maybe I can't make new elements in the Civ5Colors.xml or something and have to try using one of the vanilla colours to substitute the black. But that doesn't make sense either.

IIRC, these are referred in more than just one file and certainly allow for some additional custom "Slots" rather easily as long as their corresponding pointers are assigned within the definition (PlayerColors) table & MinorCivilizations' Defaults.

Top Bottom