Oral Traditions or Desert Folklore?

Epic_Marsupial

Chieftain
I have (7)!! Potential plantations within my cities reach, but I'm wondering if desert folklore is a better option. Let me know what you think

Depends on what you want to go for most- culture, or faith.

I'd go for desert folklore because I find faith more valuable in general, due to it being used to buy great people and also because I don't like losing out on my intended religious beliefs (and because you have lots more desert around you for additional cities), but like Smokey says it depends.

100% Desert folklore, unless you plan to go for a culture victory. If you can't decide, go with folklore since it is far more flexible.

Folklore. The pantheon kicks in right away while you have to wait for the plantations to kick in. Folklore basically guarantees you a religion.

Folklore - other cities can benefit from it (there are a few other great looking places to found cities near/on deserts nearby in the screenshot, and probably a few others around too), but not so likely with Oral Traditions.

Faith trumps Culture; so Folklore
About the only time if the start is suitable for Folklore I'd consider anything else is:

1. If there's several sources of Silver and/or Gold and few desert tiles, I may consider Religious Idols.

2. If playing Spain and there's a natural wonder nearby, I may consider One with Nature.

I'm not pro but I would prefer Desert Folklore. Faith is more valuable, IMO.

btw, for example; when I have 5 plantations and choose "Oral Tradition" it doesn't give +5 culture, it gives 1 or 2 lesser than my plantations, why?

If you are manually working all of the plantation tiles, another thing to check is whether the plantation tiles are all fully improved. Sometimes workers get interrupted and the graphic looks like they are done, but they are not.

You can also post a save file for deeper forensics.

if you have the option to generate tons of faith via dance of the aurora or desert folklore, i would get it. its really useful getting your religion up fast and then have tons of faith to buy catheadrals eg. that way you get faith and culture. and quite a bit too. if you go for the plantation thingy its just a minor boost. and you tend to not always work plantations anyway. so it doesnt depend, its a no brainer once you realize the full potential of faith per tile.

that graphical glitch is really annoying. you have to zoom in fully and it will update....

Faith trumps Culture; so Folklore
About the only time if the start is suitable for Folklore I'd consider anything else is:

1. If there's several sources of Silver and/or Gold and few desert tiles, I may consider Religious Idols.

2. If playing Spain and there's a natural wonder nearby, I may consider One with Nature.

3. If playing as Maya, Messenger of the Gods :p

Top Bottom