Surrounded by Jungle and want science victory

Mklangelo

Chieftain
Hey all,

I'm playing at Prince and am Ghandi in this game since as I understand it, pop IS Science...

Am I correct that only a trading post will not take down the jungle? I rolled a really good start with Banana and spices. But in order to make Plantations I need to take away the jungle and I understand jungle is good for science...

I'm confused. Just exactly how does that jungle/science thing work?

Thanks in advance.

MK

Moderator Action: Moved to appropriate forum.

Trading Posts do NOT remove jungles.
Plantations do remove jungles.

The thing about jungles is that, once you build a university in the city, each jungle tile will yield +2 science, in addition to the +33% modifier. Also, if you go down the Rationalism tree (which I think you will, as you are going for Science), there is a policy that grants you +1 science per trading post, so your jungles can give you +2 food, +2 gold (after economics) and +3 science.

Once a city has a University, jungle tiles it works give 2 science (which gets increased somewhere in Rationalism I think).

Pretty much all improvements remove jungle except Trading Post (and roads/rail).

Personally I usually plantation/mine anything that is a luxury/strategic but leave bananas alone (you cant build TP on them but it is a nice food/science tile).

On normal jungle I build a TP which makes it a "base" 2Food, 2Sci, 1GPT tile and will get some additional bonuses as you unlock more things.

Universities give not chopped jungle tiles +2 science the rationalisme tree will give you're trading posts +2 science.

as tip for imrpovements :
always improve it if it has a resource on it a bana plantation can give you some free hammers (because it can be on a plane or hill )
Luxuries i don't have to tell you why improve

as for other jungle there are 2 different jungles : the one with 3 food or lower food. Allways cut down the ones with 2 food.( the other let it stand for extra science.

If you settle a city in a jungle allways remove jungles on hills first because they give you production you will get enough foot from the other jungles

Getting a city with 6 or more jungle tiles can be as good as getting an observatory. Getting both can of course be even better, more base science and more multipliers.

Those jungle tiles will produce 3 science each with a university, trading post, and 3 policies in Rationalism. I side with those who like to leave bananas in jungle alone. They produce 4 food and 2 science with a granary, which is okay by me.

dont forget you still need pop. jungle citys grow very slow unless multiple banans or some river grasslands near.

dont forget you still need pop. jungle citys grow very slow unless multiple banans or some river grasslands near.

It's a "Legendary Start" so... all of the above. lol

Universities give not chopped jungle tiles +2 science the rationalisme tree will give you're trading posts +2 science.

as tip for imrpovements :
always improve it if it has a resource on it a bana plantation can give you some free hammers (because it can be on a plane or hill )
Luxuries i don't have to tell you why improve

as for other jungle there are 2 different jungles : the one with 3 food or lower food. Allways cut down the ones with 2 food.( the other let it stand for extra science.

If you settle a city in a jungle allways remove jungles on hills first because they give you production you will get enough foot from the other jungles

The only jungle tiles with 3 food ARE the Bananas.

I'd also farm the river tiles. That extra science from jungle TPs won't help unless you've got the population to work them. Get aquaducts ASAP, too.

I'd also farm the river tiles. That extra science from jungle TPs won't help unless you've got the population to work them. Get aquaducts ASAP, too.

Yep, it's a balancing act in jungle cities- you want to save as much jungle as you can in order to maximize science, but unless you have enough non-jungle tiles to farm, and/or cut down some of those jungles to improve the bananas, you won't be able to raise enough citizens to properly grow your city and work all of those jungle science tiles later on. So yeah, sometimes you do just have to hack some jungle and luv ya some 'nanners.

Chopped jungles aren't great food tiles usually though. They always have plains underneath them and may have hills.

Though it doesn't apply to your situation, camps don't clear jungle either so you can improve jungle truffles.

Top Bottom